Is there a Political Correct Backlash?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Team Jetfire, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    So I have been thinking about this for a while and the recent thread about banning the Drink ‘Cocaine’ due to its name, has driven me to want to discuss this further with a wider audience.

The main question that I have is complicated so bare with me while I explain.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s I have been bombarded with Anti-drug, Anti-violence and Anti racist/discriminatory propaganda. These include messages from my favourite Saturday morning cartoon characters (And knowing is half the Battle), government sponsored Television and print ads (This is your Brain on drugs) and even Arcade games reaching out to kids (who should just say NO).

As such I have grown up as a product of my environment and have lead a moderately Vanilla life; No illegal drugs and fairly PC when it comes to other social matters.

With this in mind, I have noticed that over the last few years these messages have been blurred by equally powerful messages of the opposite nature. Kids are being told one thing and then bombarded with the exact opposite thing that they were just told not to do.

For example:

A young man is told that he should respect women like equals and not treat them as sexual objects, but then turns on the TV, watches pretty well anything on network TV and sees the over sexualisation of females on a daily bases. There are some very mixed messages that this young man is getting and I have to wonder if it is possible for him to make the determination that only the women who want to be sex objects can be treated as such, or does he decide that all women (that he finds sexually attractive) are to be treated like objects. This is complicated for a grown man sometimes decide, let alone an impressionable pre-teen.

So this leads me to the question: Is there a societal backlash to the political correct attitude that many people have had and if so, should we be worried about the implications on our children as they get older and become, like we did, products of their environment.

And what environment are we talking about:

- Video games that glamorise killing, drug dealing, violence and abuse against women
    - TV shows and commercials that continue to portray women as sex objects.
    - Reverse racism against the hyper sensitivity our society when it pertains to other minorities.

Any thoughts?

2. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

To me, political correctness is an inhibitor to truthful and honest discussions about controversial issues such as racial or gender stereotypes, for example.

I think there is a backlash simply because people are tired of being fed what can be said and what can't, and in the end only end up more cynical and sarcastic about whatever is PC-protected.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    For the record, I agree.

To constantly have something thrown down your throat is very irritating and untimately create a rift, but I don't think that the Idea of being PC should be thrown out, just maybe toned down?

4. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I'm fairly certain there was a politically correct backlash quite soon after the very idea surfaced.

I for one never bothered listening to a thing those retarded pansies had to say.

5. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say, let the rude ppl be rude and low-class

why bother controlling an idiot?

6. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Let's see:

No cartoons from most any era due to the violence,
    get in more trouble for saying anything that might offend anyone,
    and santa can't say ho ho ho.

Yeah, I'd say there's a bit of backlash.

Thank you god for the fucking internet.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Not being PC doesn't make you rude.

Just to illustrate one example: Americans who think English should be the national language are too often sited by the media and other "groups" as being xenophobics, when in fact many simply just want to protect the sovereignty of their country and culture. In this case, supporting such a viewpoint is constantly painted by these groups as politically and socially narrowminded and is not PC.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check and check.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    So there is clearly a backlash, but will this backlash turn in to Gradual increase of discrimination across the board?

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i think that when people feel that they can't say anything without offending anyone then they'll act out. in the end though, anyone can be offended by anything, so what's the point?

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think some level of political correctness is warranted but for the most part it’s taken to far.

12. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

that is why pc will fail, or over evolve into a dictatorship.

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

That sig is hilarious!

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I think there is a PC backlash, but I also think there always has been. People dont like being told what to say or do. Its just that the media likes to push boundries so you're going to see more of the anti-pc attitude expressed. Also, some forms of PC may have gone too far or overstayed their welcome. I think some good could out of a more PC environment, but there also may be large negative aspects. I would be interested to see what social scientists have to say on the issue.

lol, whut?! :inquisiti 

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It makes sense in a way.

If a person does not have the freedom to say what they want, they are essentially living in a dictatorship. The only difference is that in a true dictatorship everyone is affected, where as in a PC dictatorship only certain people are able to say what they want.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the recent Jamie Lynn Spears fiasco, of her unwed, 16 year old self with her brand new baby on the cover of "OK" magazine, i am hoping that finally, common sense prevails. Political correctness has always been a contradiction in terms. It is encouraged to spark discussion, but the rules put in place merely coddle or stroke all too sensitive egos and nothing is accomplished. PC's biggest problem is that it eventually led a society of victims, where no one was held accountable for anything. and this victim state is reinforced with monuments and memorials to every minor tragedy.
    Like the memorial for the WTC. should we have one? yes. why don't we in the country that can accomplish anything? PC. whoever is in charge is trying to please EVERYBODY and it is just not possible or practical. I have seen requests made by individual family members for things and at times, it gets outta hand.
    we are no longer merely grateful for a memorial at alj.

I think people are noticing this overabundance of coddling and are ready to say that it is enough.
    PC is taking hits these days.
    look, i have my problems. do i care if you or your kid calls me handicapped? no. i got bigger fish to fry than my thin skin and ego. like accepting that fact personally instead of hiding behind PC lingo like "visually shortchanged."
    i hope nothing i said was out of line. that;s my observation and i will stick to it for the moment. peace.

17. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    PC is a load of old bullshit.

What I don't understand, is why is so fucking terrible to offend someone? If someone is easily offended, it's their bloody problem, not everyone else's.

I don't agree with blind prejudice against any person for any reason other than their personal actions. But if someone is being a prick, they're being a prick and deserve to be told they're being a prick, I don't care if they're black, lesbian, one-legged or whatever.

If (for one example) someone seriously suggests that Santa saying Ho, Ho, Ho is not politically correct, then everyone just needs to say "WHAT YOU ON ABOUT? STOP BEING A PRICK!" instead of "Oh, yeah, sure, we don't want to offend you, we'll make him say something else, ok."

Er, so yeah, I think there may be a backlash in many people's minds over the modern day PC ethos.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

"It's okay, I'm taking it back..."

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

This reminds me of an interview I was listing to on the radio the other day about a guy who was writing a paper on women and sports injury. He got very uncomfortable when trying to explain that men's bodies were better suited for particular physical activities that a woman's body wasn't.

He kept falling over his words and reiterating that he didn't say that men were physically stronger than women.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    While I think a few PC terms were okay, I do think that the whole PC movement is reaching a point of absurdity these days.