Is there a perfect variant?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cybertronian, May 21, 2010.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Is there a penultimate version of a <TF name here>?

Howdy, y'all.
    I'm starting this thread because it seems that I can never find the perfect version of any one Transformer, and I always find myself wanting to customize or buy a different variant for parts mating/swapping.

For example, I just got a re-issue Rodimus Prime (C-77) in the mail today (Thurs.), and planned on either using its parts on my original or keeping it as is when I realized not only were the rubber wheels slightly different from the 1st variant's rubber wheels (not news to me), but the color is slightly darker, richer than the 1986 & '87 (plastic-wheeled) Rodimi.

Instead of sinking more money into one plan (inside arms and legs from this one w/ outer arms and trailer halves from a '80s Rodimus, plus spoiler - and maybe yellow undercarriage - from a plastic-wheeled version), I thought I should ask other collectors.

Are there any TFs you thought were perfect, minus one (as manufactured) detail?

In addition to Rodimus, I find myself riding the pine on:
    • D-62-S Galvatron (who should have been a darker purple -- like Energon Galvatron -- or violet-blue; the gold chrome on his Matrix makes it too thick to fit properly inside Optimus Prime/Ultra Magnus)
    • Universe 2.0/Henkei Starscream (both versions are very show accurate, but I find myself liking one feature on one that's different from what I like about the other)
    • TRU/#24 Special Ed. reissue Thundercracker (perfect by himself, but too different in shade to parts swap w/ my mail-order Thundercracker, in spite of the same molds being used)
    • TRU/TF Collection #5 reissue Smokescreen (font difference on door and hood number decals. On the upside, the plastic fenders/shoulders and windshields are painted the same color dark red as the die-cast paint, unlike the original. Plus, I really miss being able to unscrew his shoulders at my discretion.)
    • Universe 2.0/Henkei Sunstreaker (did they have to make his symbol on his roof sooo big?)
    • Unreleased 2010 Unicron (I'm honestly thinking of spending beaucoup bucks on this thing, plus planning to sauter -- for the 1st time in over 5 yrs. -- a green LED into its head to give it movie-accurate eyes)
    • TRU Silverstreak/e-Hobby Anime Streak (minus the toys' red eyes, Anime Streak is show accurate, but the solid silver color used for regular Bluestreak looks better. Worse, upon buying Silverstreak, I commissioned Delta -- Reprolabels -- to produce a label set for me with the blue areas changed to silver. As a result my personal Bluestreak is wearing decals from both the in-box sheet and the Reprolabels sheet, which included upon my request, headlights, silver/chromed "TURBO" badges, and amber colored park lights.)
    This doesn't include money spent on reproduction label sheets, or custom reproduction label sheets, or custom accessories.
    -- Cybertronian.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Cybertronian

Let me know if this thread is in the right topic area. If not, let me know.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

They never make a toy absolutely perfect. Their model is to release a satisfying, yet slightly flawed product, and then release a newer version 6-12 months later that corrects those errors!

WOW. Double the profits!!!

4. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes never perfect variant. Even better never release all 6 seekers in the same mold so people would keep chasing molds that they may do 4 out of the 6 seekers and make you think they may do more. (Movie Starscream and Armada Starscream has been made into 4 of the 6 seekers, just no dirge or thrust)

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Resisting the urger to be snarky about "penultimate...." ;) 

But, I agree, there's rarely a perfect version of any figure, I'm a big fan of mixing and matching parts to BUILD a definitive version...

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    to add to what others have said one person's perfect version is not necessarily some one elses . There will likely be much in common but also likely some subtle differences.

7. Cybertronian

He's right. I cooked up a Word (& Excel) file years ago outlining what I'd like to see in a new line of repaints. Just to let you know that my perfect vision is not someone elses, the line was called Transformers: The {real name} Collection.
    In addition to my afore-mentioned Galvatron wants, I also wanted NYS Optimus Prime (which I eventually bought) with a couple of extra goodies, an Elita-One made by re-molding/painting Galaxy Force's Nitro Convoy (Override) into Pantone approximates of her show colors, RiD's Crosswise and WARS recolored into Nightracer (this time closer to her originally requested colors) and a new Daytonus (this one wearing a cross between Richard "The King" Petty's and Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s colors), Skywarp (with TFC #9 Starscream modified fists and "Megatron" gun), and a G1 Gearhead (a limited-release mixed tooling of Smokescreen and Bluestreak parts into an Autobot meant to resemble the ultra-rare Datsun 280ZX-R in car mode).
    Galvatron's electronics were to have slightly different recordings:
    • The "transforming" sound effect would be played in reverse, to sound like he's "transforming down" into his cannon mode.
    • Using Frank Welker and/or Leonard Nimoy's voices, Galvatron would now speak 5 new English quotes.
      » "I, Galvatron, will crush you just as Megatron crushed Prime!"
      » "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy!"
      » "First Prime, then Ultra Magnus, now you. It's a pity you Autobots die so easily or I might have a sense of satisfaction!"
      » "Decepticons, ATTACK!"
      » "Unicron, my master. With this, I shall make you my slave."
    One of my all wants, Trailbreaker with sky blue eyes, was made as a part of the Encore Collection. Sky-Byte (made from Energon's Sharkticon) will be in this year's BotCon collection, albeit with a slightly more literal interpretation of the Gelshark colors than my idea.
    Most importantly, I'd finally get in my always-wanted repaint of Cybertron Downshift as the General Lee, preferably with a new head. (I'd also want to see if I could get Hasbro to retool the "vinyl" off of his roof and use the "un-exposed engine" hood piece the pre-production model is shown with on the back of Downshift's card. Decals and tampos could be used for detailing, and he'd come with a minor repaint of the Classics Oil Slick mini-con.