Is there a newby toy collecting guide?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Recall, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm new to the whole toy collecting things, mostly buying my Transformers from stores I visit but some have appeared online that i'm after but some things i'm not clear about.

Whats a re-issue, how to spot a KO, some of the other jargon etc and was wondering if there was some thread or guide that covered these topics to help me understand so I don't end up wasting money?

Thanks.

2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
  3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
  4. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
  5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Work out for yourself on what you want to focus on instead of just buying it all. Setup some guidelines for yourself. Trust me. It will be way more fun like that and last a lifetime!

iDD

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Well I'm after a Starscream figure and kapow lists it as a re-issue, I have no idea what a re-issue is nor if its KO or not.

I know so little about the different types of Transformer lines 9not in the sense of Beast Wars, Animated etc but I have no understanding of MP, or henkai or deluxe inverted clicky top etc) that I just base my collection around characters I like.

7. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you want to talk starscreams, then Diablien is your man, probably has the most collective collection of starscreams on this board and a good friend of mine.

8. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    A re-issue is another release of a toy. I.E. Starscream was originally released in 1984 as what is now referred to as G1 vintage. He has been re-issued many times since under differing TF lines, e.g. TRU Commemorative Series, Encore, Takara Collection, etc. They are all the same toy (some re-issues have some differences, molding, stickers, etc.), just released at different times, in different packaging.

The value of a re-issue depends on it's age, and any differences and/or extras it has, as examples:

TRU CS Starscream has remolded missiles and bombs, they have been elongated so a child can't swallow them. As they change the look of the toy, and as such aren't the same as G1 vintage, this change is generally seen as detrimental.

Takara Collection 9 Starscream (also known as bookstyle) is anime-coloured, he has light blue parts, an orange cockpit with silver, a DVD, and comes with a gun-mode Megs he can hold in a remolded fist. He also comes with a re-molded Prime fist so Prime can hold Megs as well. Megs can also be attached to Starscreams intake in Jet mode as seen in the cartoon. Some folk don't like his colouring (I love it), but the extra parts are a nice bonus making him worth more.

Kapow have two re-issue Starscreams, Encore and TRU.

I'd recommend the Encore over the TRU, as I said above the TRU has silly looking weapons, whereas the Encore has the original ones. Encore's also £11 cheaper, you could get Revoltech Starscream as well for that!

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thank you ever so much for the info, its a shame the Encore Starscream is out of stock but now at least i know.

thanks again :) 

10. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The best advice I can give to a newbie collector is to look in the Junkion (buy/sell forum here). Some of the best deals on Transformers can be found there! Just be sure to buy from someone with plenty of good feedback.

11. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member