Is there a definitive best movie Ironhide?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SolidSnake2017, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SolidSnake2017

SolidSnake2017 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to expand my movie collection a bit and haven't gotten an ironhide so far, is there one that seems best for movie accurate or best engineering by a considerable margin?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd have to go for the first Voyager or the Deluxe. The 2nd Voyager was a big let-down for me and while I like the Leader, it has quite a few shortcomings.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Recon Ironhide for me.

He's well painted and has lots of great accessories.

4. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dotm Cyberverse all the way.

5. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    this

6. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I'm not quite sure on this one, as every single one of the Ironhides I have messed with have some sort of critical flaw that turn me off in the end.

Overall, I would have loved if we got the Recon Ironhide mold, with the original cannons (or something highly resembling them) from the 2007 toy as well as the new add-on guns, with the paint job from the Premium Ironhide. As that hasn't (and probably will never outside of the Radicons) happened, the toy I can say feels the most "complete" as being Ironhide has to be the Premium Series version of the 2007 mold.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with what Secretcode says (and he says it much better :p ), among what's available, I would say Recon Ironhide. If one has a customising skills I know a perfect Ironhide is there, but he's more than good enough for me as he is.

8. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Like its been stated they all have problems but the best are Leader and Recon

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

There are good and bad things about each of the Ironhide figures we've gotten IMO and none of them is perfect. It just depends on which one you prefer. I own at least one of each mold apart from the leader but have seen and read numerous reviews on it. Here's my take on them:

2007 legends: Good first try, but very floppy in robot mode and lacking in detail overall.

DotM Cyberverse Commander: Great little figure. Looks awesome in both modes with lots of detail and even has dual arm cannons! If not for a few articulation and poseability issues would be near perfect, if you don't mind 'em small.

HftD deluxe: Personally my favourite, although is hampered by his small stature. Robot mode is the best looking with nice proportions and harly any kibble. Just a fantastic mold.

2007 voyager: I own the premium version, which I think is the way to go if you're going to choose this mold (or any variety of it, ie RotF, Recon etc) Some prefer the Recon mold changes but I just can't see past the zebra stripes which just look wrong IMO.

DotM voyager: Has grown on me but is stil practically ruined by horrible, stumpy, utterly immobile arms. Legs are a bit on the long and lanky side and his chest sections are too big meaning he can't see a dman thing! Looks decent but no fun to fiddle with, although the opposite is true of his awesome mechtech weapon.

DotM leader: Very basic in terms of transformation. Nice big chunky figure but has horrendous kibble issues on the arms and back. From what I've heard, he also has difficulty holding certain poses. Looks great in truck mode though.

To summarise, I would say if scale is your thing, go for the 2007 premium figure, if not, you can't do any better than the HftD deluxe. All of this is just my opinion of course :D 

10. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    The weapons of Recon, the size of an Ultra, the leg stiffness of DOTM VOY, the stability of the DLX and a chest cannon like the leader... all of which we don't have.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    The HFTD deluxe is great. But if you want a bigger ironhide, I recommend the first movie voyager, and the ROTF recon one.

12. SolidSnake2017

SolidSnake2017 Well-Known Member

I was leaning towards the HFTD Deluxe, I prefer smaller figures as I don't have a great deal of space, the only real deal breaker is him not having the arm cannons, I really like the DotM Voyager mold but the big stupid gun looks terrible.

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He doesn't stand up very well - he has to be posed with his legs quite far apart, which makes posing difficult depending on the surface. Mine stands on a glass shelf and he sometimes does the splits and falls over (the feet are the Leader's main weakness IMO, it feels like they just gave up designing them).

14. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

HFTD deluxe all the way.

15. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Just my opinion, but here is the order I prefer/recommend them:

DoTM Leader
    HFTD Deluxe
    Robot Replica
    DoTM Cyberverse
    Recon Voyager

All others

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

He does have a molded cannon on one of his arms. Could use something going on with the other arm though, I'll agree to that.

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    leader is nice, but requires a bit of customizing for his knees
    and his guns kinda suck

id like a leader with either premium or rotf cannons

18. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

They've never really gotten the arm cannons right anyway. It maybe the only mold that really comes close to capturing his proportions correctly, even if the toy is a little short, even for a DX.

19. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I have to agree. He's tiny, but the most movie accurate out of them all.

The leader one could have been great if they didn't stick a gimmick in every limb and possible spot they could fit one... and on top of that, coloring him wrong.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  20. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Original Voyager. Premium if necessary.

Pretty on-model, and doesn't need a bunch of bells and whistles. And if you're going for scale, he's one that can be built into a semi-accurate scale set of on-screen bots.