Is the Wii really this badly made?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jourdo, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I recently had to send the old console out a few months ago as I was getting these strange pixels showing up in the middle of my screen. Something with the graphics card.

Nintendo support was awesome and I sent it out and got a new one within a week. I buy Mario Cart today and decide to give her a spin (the Wii doesn't get used THAT much). The first disc I opened was scratched and could not be read (NEVER had that happen before on a new game), a quick exchange later and I've got my brand spanking new disc. I put it in and hear what can best be described as a coffee grinder sound and the disc craps out part way through loading. The same noise happens with some of my other discs.

I couldn't reach Nintendo support today as it happened after business hours. I'll be on the horn tomorrow AM and see about getting this one taken care of.

So, this will be Wii number 3 for my house. Thankfully this has all been under warranty, but I've NEVER had these kinds of issues with ANY console I've owned in the past.

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

my graphics card went out too........... buzz on the web is that its an overheating issue with Wii Connect 24. Solution is to turn off wii connect when the system is in idle.

Other than that, at least their warranty kicks ass and a half.... mine was only gone for repairs a total of 6 days

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

A couple bad apples is nothing compared to the previous 33% failure rate of the 360. It's not as bad now due to the new chip but this is still nothing compared to the 360.

I've never had problems with my Wii. I've knocked it over mid game before and nothing in the slightest happened. I bumped my 360, it froze up, not to mention I've been a victim of RROD.

I've never actually had any hardware problems with any of my Nintendo consoles and handhelds. The actual hardware in the Wii is a whole other story.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    there are two primary causes for the Wii's system failures.

One is the fabric lining in the disc slot. dust collects on there and is carried into the system on the discs. the disc spins, dust is spread through the system.

The second (which makes the above problem worse) is that one of the fans is blocked by the vertical stand. so it's not able to get all the dust out. This also causes the system to overheat easily.

this is THE reason why so many people had problems with smash bros. brawl. dual layer disc and a dusty lens is a bad combination. the wii sitting vertical and slanted with that fabric lining facing forward AND up doesnt help the dust collection problems either.

it's not badly made at all. nintendo just made a terrible stand that blocks a very important vent, and stuck a dust magnet in the disc slot.

to remedy these problems, do not use the vertical stand nintendo supplies with the system and just lay it down horizontally, or buy a third party stand that supplies ventilation through the stand, or even better, has a fan built into it.

also, every once in a while grab a damp Q-tip and wipe the dust off the fabric in the disc slot.

also, it seems like it's mostly people who use the Wii very little that have these problems. That's likely because the fans that cool the system and blow out the dust are rarely turned on. I play my Wii all the time, and I've never had a problem.

5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think I've had my Wii for about a year now. I've never had a problem with it. I know I don't play it every week but I think I play it at least a couple hours a month. I also keep mine horizontal simply because I don't like to have it vertical.

6. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I had my Wii fall off a 3 and half foot tall table while it was playing a game, and it didn't even skip o_O 
    lol.

That sucks about the problems though

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Lets not forget all the PS2 problems as well.

But yeah... I've noticed too, that the people who don't play the wii often have the most problems. I play mine all the time, and the one at my office that is abused as all hell, still run great.

Though mine did have an odd problem of not displaying the color blue.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know- my Wii seems fine but I have only had it since Christmas. I trust Nintendo though, but as far as machines go there are just going to be problems and some people get the bad end of the stick. The 360 defect, that's entirely different. Personally, i don't buy the 33% rate. MAYBE a third of owners have reported the problem that have experienced it, but I am guessing the other two thirds of early adopters either just haven't reported it or haven't played enough to get it yet. I think it's a design problem that is pretty much in 100% of earlier models. And as far as Sony... well, between me, my old roomate, and my girlfriend, we have had 9 PS2's have problems. And we are all adults who take great care of our systems. I have a PS3 and I'm pretty scared to do anything with it besides play PS3 games. (so, no PS2 games, no DVDs, no blu-ray movies etc.)

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

My first Wii from a month after launch had a faulty disc drive, but it got replaced easily and never had a problem since.

10. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Maybe Nintendo should make a cute little cover for it to keep dust out when it's not in use. I'd buy one, or hell I'll make one.

I bought Mario Kart yesterday, and I hope to try it out tonight without incident.

I am using the vertical stand as well, but now I might switch over to the horizontal position.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I never understood why they made any systems to stand vertically... I have seen nothing but problems as far as the vertical system standing goes. I myself avoided it like the plague. Back with PS2, I used to go to my local gamestop on few occasions so I saw quite a few returned. When you stand them vertical they throw off the balance on the disc drives causing it not to read games. I never stood my PS2 vertical, never did that with the Wii or my PS3. Anyone I knew who tried that, I told to put it back horizontal. It causes nothing but problems.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just blow on the disc or the disc slot and it should be fine. Or wedge another disc on top of the one you wish to play and the Wii should read it*

*These methods will not work. They were methods used to make the original Nes work and should not be tried on any of the succeeding systems.

13. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Besides using my Wii all the time (which seems to make a difference), the two things I did to keep my Wii in working order are:

• I turned off the WiiConnect24 as soon as I found out about the heating issues. And it's true, the unit gets hotter in standby (because the fans shut off) while the wifi is still running then when I'm actually playing a game.
    • I picked up a cooler base unit similar to this one:http://www.colordrives.com/console-led-cooler-fan-dock-stand-for-nintendo-wii.html. And while I know that most manufacturers frown on these things, I think it helps. Plus, it looks f-ing cool. Just remember to get one that uses the USB ports for power and not a power cord pass-through, since that's what messed up all of those 360's. Also, the one I have pushes air into the Wii through the bottom vent, so remember to clean the intake vents on the base unit every once in awhile or you'll be blowing dust right into the Wii.

14. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

No, mine is perfectly fine. And I probably use it more than anyone.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Nope, my Wii's fine too. I guess I take REALLY good care of my video game systems.

16. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I use my Wii all the time and have had no problems. I also turned off WiiConnect 24 when I touched the console and saw how warm it was.

17. shortround

shortround Banned

i dont no if mine is broke but win i was playing red steel for like a 1 hor and it freezs up i cant trun it off so u tell me

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    unplug it.

and stop playing red steel.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You gotta laugh when people freak out about not being able to turn something off that's PLUGGED INTO AN OUTLET.

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So, off to Nintendo she went today. I gotta say, so far their customer service has been top notch. I had to send the Mario Kart disc in as well. If it is anything like last time, I should have another system within a week.

I do think I will go the horizontal route this time when it comes back though.