Is the Universe/Classics Tank Megatron Mold Any Good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SharkyMcShark, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I picked up the G1 colours of this in the book style packaging about a year ago, and set it to one side when I got home with a view to opening it that weekend. I didn't, and ever since I've been giving it the eye every time I walk past my meagre MISB/MOSC collection (made up mostly of duplicates of stuff I've already got out of box).

Is it any good as a toy? As much as I'm against the concept of MISB collecting, and as much as I have absolutely no interest in reselling it, I'm tempted to leave it in the package because I'm feeling a bit blaaaah about the mold.

Someone pitch it to me!

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Eh, it's ok but definitely not special. The gimmicky right arm is super lame. It's miles better than the crappy deluxe Optimus though.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got the HTS SE Megs because i really liked his appearance. i haven't transformed him, but i can say he's a pretty nice mold. i wish i had bought 2 when they were clogging the HTS website at 15 bucks, because i really would like one in alt mode.

is it a spectacular toy? well, it's not. but it fits in well enough with my other TFU's to more than justify the slightly marked up eBay price i gave for it.

it's one of those molds that grows on you over time. (pun!)

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I like him, he looks cool and displays very well.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

He's decent. Not amazing, but solid. Like so many figures before him, he is weakened by his gimmick: the spinning blade/claw thing is un-needed and annoying because it left him without a proper right hand (such a weird choice.... molding a hand into that assembly somehow would have been pretty easy). His tank mode is sort of generic and a bit too sci-fi for my taste. But, he's pretty well-articulated, and the G1 version of him that you have is by far the superior paintjob; those colors really brought out the best in him.

He also has one of my favorite Megatron head sculpts ever. To me it is a much nicer sculpt than Voyager Classics Megatron, Masterpiece Megatron, Alternity Megatron (pretty low bar, there) or any of the other recent G1-esque Megatrons.

I'd give him a 6/10.

6. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

That sounds like a fair score to me.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Pretty much. I don't even own the G1 colored version, but I think it's an alright mold. Since it was made by the same designers who were making Classics, it's got pretty solid engineering. All the right articulation, good details (like WhiteMocha said, the head sculpt is really nice, even at such a small size)... hell, compared to Jetfire and Astrotrain, his articulation is better than average.

But, he doesn't really leap out like the rest of the Classics. This is probably because, unlike the others, he doesn't really fill any niche in your collection. He's an homage to G2 Megatron... except that G2 Megs' best quality was being huge, and this one isn't. He's "yet another tank," and unlike Bludgeon, he's not a particularly great looking one. He's not big enough to take on Voyager Prime, and let's face it, no one is using Deluxe Prime as their Autobot leader.

If you just want to judge it on its own merits, on whether or not it's a good figure, then yes, it is. You can take it out of the package, fiddle with it, realize it's no better or worse than anything else you own. Hell, depending on your criteria, you might -actually- find it better than stuff you own. But unless you have a Megatron shelf, you'll be scratching your head over where to put the thing when you're done fiddling with it.

Eh. Deluxe Op has a terrible vehicle mode, but his robot mode is actually a really nice "Optimus Prime action figure."

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I have mine painted in G1 colors. Cannot stand G2. Even in G1 colors, it's an ok figure. The gimmick does suck.

9. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I switched the red cannon tip from the G1 Colored Megatron with the Classics grey tip. I also switched the guns back folding stock as well.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Makes for a much better Brawl with some modding... okay, lots of modding.

The figure itself is okay at best. I just don't see it as much of a Megatron. Especially when you consider that Classics Voyager Megs was released around the same time.

11. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    He's okay, but definitely not the cream of the crop when it comes to Classics figures. Since I don't have Voyager Megs I have to make due with him in my Classics Decepticon collection (until I decide whether or not to replace him with WFC Megs).

However, if you add on a hand to his thump on the right arm, it makes him a lot more decent to look at:
    [​IMG]