Is the term GRAIL overused?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jourdo, May 5, 2006.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm wrapping up reading the Da Vinci Code and...

**SEMI-SPOILER AHEAD**

got to thinking about the quest for the Holy Grail. The whole point of the Grail is that there is only one. This made me think about how we throw around the term grail around here with regards to those "rare/special" toys that we seek.

Do you think we overuse the term "grail". My thinking is that once you find your grail, there cannot be another one. The grail is that ONE thing that you quest for.

Is it really reasonable to have more than one grail? Just want to spark some discussion on this. What do you think?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I came really close to finding my grail once, but then this snooty French guy started insulting me and wouldn't open the door. :( 

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From Webster:
    So it seems tha Grail refers to "the" Holy Grail and grail is simply something that is sought after. So as long as we don't capitalize grail the word is in proper use.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I do feel like it's a bit overused. It might be used in reference of something like Overlord, which is actually quite common but expensive.

A more appropriate use would be like Marlboro Wheeljack, or black Fire Convoy. Those are items truly difficult to find.

5. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    A grail is very personal. For some it was Energon Ironhide. Oh wait, no. I meant G1 Victory Saber.

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

To me Grail is something you always wanted and always have lookout for, but is difficult to get due to its price and/or availability. There can be more than one grail but too many and it'll be no more than a wish list, which is a notch or two below grails. For me the grail is a MISB G1 Grimlock. Why? Because 1) I wanted it since I was 10 or 11, back in 85 2) Even though I have 3 Grimlocks (loose, MIB, G2 MOC) I always wanted a G1 Grimmy in its original box and 3) My other grail was MISG Blitzwing and I got that few years back, Blitzy and Grimmy are the only two TF that I wanted the most as a kid, and nothing else holds their value in my heart. But I'll be damned if I have to spend $800 for a G1 toy no matter how much I want it. Maybe if I win a lottery.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I disagree; using your own Overlord reference, I have been after an Overlord for years now, and every time I get close it slips through my fingers for some reason. I'd call that a grail. It's the object of a personal quest, IMO.

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think so, no. I mean there are times its used in odd ways, when the figure in question isn't actually hard to get or terribly expensive (like under $50). For the most part though it seems to be fine around here. One of mine, for example, was the chase pvc clear Rodimus. I didn't expect it to be terribly expensive, but it took me well over 6 months to get one.

I think the issue here is that this isn't a single rare item business. If you want Victory Saber, odds are you'll want Deszarus too, and then Liokaiser, then maybe Dinoking, etc etc. There's a good number of those really rare grail-level figures, so when you get one there's always others to take its place. Unless you're Dragonclaw and you have every rare TF known to man. :D 

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not any more than the word "homage". I'm so sick of that word.

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Over the years, I've had many TF "grails" and as I chased and got them, my grail goals change. I mean, what's the point of calling a TF a "grail" anymore if you have it already? :p 

12. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I think it's horribly overused. I laugh when I see people post "another grail down" because they bought something on Ebay. A "grail" item should require time & effort to find, not just be expensive. If you know where to buy it, but just can't afford it, it's not really a grail.

Frankly, any item that shows up on Ebay at least 2 or 3 times a year shouldn't be considered a grail. You know where to get it.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    QFT!.... or is this using it too often

14. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    2003 grail - G1 Jetfire (complete) - acquired
    2004 grail - G1 Omega Supreme (complete w/ box & insert) - acquired
    2005 grail - G1 Fortress Maximus (complete w/ Japanese box & insert) - acquired
    2006 grail - G1 Victory Saber (loose) - acquired
    2007 grail - G1 Raiden (I'm hopeful!)
    etc.

Yeah, I agree with some people, the word is overused but IMO should be interpreted as a "goal." Whether it happens or not, so be it. I was fortunate enough to find my personal grails over the years...

My wallet, on the other hand, wishes I would lose the term...

15. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My Grail was and is Lucky Draw Black Tracks. I have seen him 3 times in my life, fortunately I was able to pick him up one of those three times.

Now my only grail question is whether I should get a second so I can apply the stickers. :D 

Hey isn't that what credit cards are for.

I do have anouther grail, that is finding the european Milton Bradley G1 Red Tracks, as well as the rumored G1 release of Black Tracks which may have only been available in Holland. However if I actually found either of these I doubt I could afford him for several years, which means I am kind of glad I haven't come accross them yet. I'd rather see them when I have the disposable cash and a real job.

If you have multiple grails but keep them to a trend I think that is cool. The word may be over used somewhat, but whatever.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah but how many TFs are really THAT rare? Even Lucky Draws are findable. Unless we're talking variants, pre-tf versions, or something like that, I think damn near all TFs were made in enough numbers that they just can't be that impossible to find.

Ok, except maybe the white headmasters. Never seen those outside of Generations.

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never used that word and don't think I ever will, because I am strictly small time :redface2: 
    If there was lucky draw blue Big Convoy, it'd have been, though.

But I don't mind people using it. I just take it as an expression of excitement. Well if there's someone who gets their "Grail" every week, it'd be weird, but I don't know if anyone does that around here.

Words sometimes changes their meaning over the time so this might be the case.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I can buy that. But the context of most of it's use isn't personal.

19. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It is my belief that each collector has one true grail. The only way I can see around that is if something new is created to take the old ones place.

Lets say for instance, that once apon a time collector B always wanted a MIB Diaclone Convoy. Now he may or may not have actually got one. Then along came the gold Masterpiece Convoy. Which in his heart he wanted more. Infact so much he would, if given the choice; pick the GMC over the diaclone. If he had a Diaclone Convoy, he would sell it so he could afford Gold MP Convoy.

It is to me a matter of the one thing you want beyond all others. That is your one true grail.

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well said.