Is The Story Of Lex Luthor Joining The Justice League and Magneto Joining The X-Men Good?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Optimus Convoy, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

I asked the question about if you guys liked Megatron turning good and joining the Autobots more than Decepticon Megatron. Most of the votes say that you guys felt it's better than he remained a Decepticon. I feel that the Lost Light is the best Transformers story told so far, I liked him as a Bot more. So I thought about this same question involving Lex & Magneto. I'm a big DC fan and a X-Men fan. Seen the shows but never read the comics. I was shocked to find out that Lex and Magneto turned good and Lex joined the Justice League and Magneto joining the X-Men. I was interested if the story is good if you guys like them better as good guys or bad guys?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Lex joining the JLA was kind of a mess, like most New 52 stuff. Magneto joining the X-Men, though, was great. It was part of the iconic Chris Claremont run. Honestly, Magneto works far better as an antihero than a villain.

• Like Like x 2
  3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Likewise Magneto joining the X-Men post "No more mutants".

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    When Magneto was done, it was something new and planned and written for awhile.
    Lex was interesting, but not well executed.
    But it's become another trope at this point. Bad guy becomes good for 2 or 3 years, then goes evil betrays everyone, kills a few people. Is bad for 5 years, then decides to be good again and even after killing and betraying people, they accept them right back. Cycle repeats again
    They can't just let their bad guys be bad anymore.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I only know Magneto as a 2 dimensional villain and as a long time X-men member. While I found the latter confusing, not knowing how he got there, I liked him better as part of the X-men.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You never read Uncanny around issue 150, Uncanny from the late 80s til Xavier mind wiped him? Him taking over Genosha as a mutant haven? All that presented him as the forceful mutant rights leader that only attacked against humanity unless provoked.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    No, only the old stuff from dofp and newer stuff. And in recent years some of the newer old stuff. I basically move in 2 time lines :D 

8. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

to date that is still one of my favorite issues of uncanny and when i became a full time magneto fan, the panel with him, storm and the knife. great stuff!

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

"Is the story of Magneto joining the X-Men good?"

Which time?

The original under Claremont was great.

Age of Apocalypse Magneto was excellent. Not sure that counts in the context of this question though. Do alternate timelines count?

He went good again in the late 90s, but that turned out to be a clone who battled the real, still evil Magneto. Mostly enjoyable but using a "Magneto redemption" plot was starting to feel repetitive.

Then sometime in the 2000s the real Magneto went good again. Didn't read it. Maybe it's decent, maybe it isn't. But why repeat the same basic thing for the third time? Yawn.