Is the Shout Factory 25th Anniversary DVDs worth getting?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by actionfigure73, Jul 15, 2009.

1. actionfigure73

actionfigure73 Iraq Combat Vet

News Credits:
    I apologize if there's another thread like this, I looked but found none.
    I'm on the fence about buying the new G1 season 1 from Shout Factory since I already own the complete Rhino series.
    Are there noticeable improvements or should I just save my money for figures?

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got a copy of it from work and I have all the rhino dvds. I haven't noticed much, but the quality seems a bit better

3. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat here. I have all the Rhino releases and I am actually in one of the Rhino DVD extras - the footage at Botcon. So the Shout Factoy DVDs really need to be a step up for me to get them. I'm not bothered by the sound on the Rhino version as much as other people are. I think some people are overblowing it a bit. So I'll be interested about what people have to say about the Shout Factory set here.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

It seems like it to me. For one, there aren't any added bullshit sound effects like in the Rhino releases (it's not even that they're bad, it's just that they're un-necessary and I hate the altering of ANYTHING for no reason). Another point I've heard about is that they use a different video master or something for the transfer that's better than the Rhino release.

But the biggest draw for me is the bonus feautres. It looks like there are some really awesome features on the complete set, the one I'm looking forward to the most being the discussion with the voice actors. It also comes with a 60 page book and MAGNETS! :thumbs2: 

I ordered mine the other day, I'm still waiting for them to ship it but I can't wait (and yes I have the Rhino DVDs as well).

5. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that i liked from the Shout one was the magnet. There is only one PSA and 3 short comecials and an iterview with the creators that you'll probably only sit through once. I didn't notice any major changes in the quality. I honestly think it is a bit overated.

6. malteselegacy

malteselegacy Galvatron

I picked up the Season One set and there is absolutely no difference in video quality. I had heard that they were fixing errors.
    I find the audio to actually be worse....I like 5.1 surround sound..not mono crap.
    I already sold my set....just sticking with the Rhino versions.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

If you're going to be getting any of the Shout Factory G1 DVDs, it ought to be the Matrix of Leadership set. So what if it's expensive? It's well worth it for the extras.

8. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I got the whole shout set and it is amazing!!! Far better than the crap Rhino put out!!

9. actionfigure73

actionfigure73 Iraq Combat Vet

News Credits:
    I went out to pick it up today, figured "What the Hell", and ended up buying the G.I. Joe set instead.

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Yo Joe!

I picked that up too. I'm passing on the Transformers, as I already have the Rhino versions and I have seen no compelling reason to buy the new versions as well.

11. Shokara

Shokara Well-Known Member

I personally think it's worth it considering they've corrected the animation errors that were brought about by Rhino's release as well as having its audio restored to its original unaltered state. Whenever I watched episodes like Heavy Metal War on Rhino's season 1 it always bothered me when Megatron was supposed to teleport out of the way of that boulder and yet still remained there.

12. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I own the Matrix Shout! Set and I have watched about half of it so far. It is the best set I have ever owned (Rhino, Tin Set, etc.) I highly recommend it.

13. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

I wish I can get it but I don't have any cash and I dunno if my DVD player will play NCTS or whatever it's called. Just outta curiosity, do they come with subtitles for the "hard of hearing" (Madman keeps on forgetting to put those in)

14. malteselegacy

malteselegacy Galvatron

I really have not seen any animation error fixes.

15. Shokara

Go to YouTube, put in Transformers TV vs Rhino in the search box, and you'll find comparison videos between the original TV broadcast version and the workprint footage used for the Rhino DVDs. Brian Ward, the producer of this set, used these videos and info from other fans to track down what animations needed to be fixed. Then compare your Rhino and Shout! Factory DVDs and you'll see where the fixes are. Also, keep in mind that the original TV broadcast version still had animation errors from the get go. Rhino simply gave us more than what we were used to.

16. Shokara

Unfortunately no. These DVDs are neither closed captioned or come with English subtitle options. They simply didn't have the budget for it after doing everything else.

17. malteselegacy

malteselegacy Galvatron

I tried this and did notice some very minor differences.
    Not enough to have me go out and spend $200 (shipping included)
    on a set that I already have.
    Furthermore,the audio on the Rhino set is much better as I like things in 5.1 not mono. Just my opinion.

18. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

Dang (bit hard of hearing), well...I still think they're worth a look I would love to see the bonus features. I've got a Sony DVD player, does anyone know how to make it Free Regional?