Is the original TF Movie For kids these days?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Phorpus, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Sometimes my parents hold a get-together with five or so other families and I'm responsible for the kids.

Basically meaning that I put a movie on.

Anyways, I've been debating whether or not The Transformers Movie (First, obviously) would appeal to kids of this generation.

I mean I love it but I wonder if they'll see the animation as too antiquated and not understand what's going on since they've never seen the TV series.

Then there's the soccer mom stuff about kids being scarred for life but I take that with a grain of salt.

Thoughts?

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly TFTM is in some ways NO different the an episode of Power Rangers.Picture Power Rangers with non-stop robot battles and that'd be TFTM

The only part of the movie that MIGHT be questionable would be the 2 instances of swearing.But in today's world chances are better then not that those kids have heard those words spoken before

BTW how old are we talking here in terms of the kids' age?

3. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

Well about 6 kids ranging from 5 to 12 years-old.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Well I say go by the Power Rangers similie I posted.

Chances are if they like PR then TFTM should provide a moderate distraction

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animation antiquated? Looks as good as most anime on TV nowadays to me.

Now the original TF SERIES, that's another matter. That animation hasn't aged quite as well.

6. Angelus Prime

Angelus Prime Active Member

What's interesting, is that you may ignite the PARENTS' interests!

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My nephews are 7 and 10, and they LOVED the movie when they saw it a couple of years ago. In fact, it was the first Transformers cartoon they ever saw; I was watching the DVD when they were visiting. Oh, and the swearing got a bit of a giggle, and not a lot else.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'd be more inclined to put More Than Meets the Eye on, it's leagues better than the movie.

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I remember the time I borrowed the movie to a friend and he watched next to his little sister, she found the movie funny. I remember the comment about the Blaster's cassettes being cute. She was....let me remember.....eh...yep, 6 and a couple of months. ^_^
    Plus in the dub version there is no swearing. So it's OK for kids to watch.

10. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I have four boys, the oldest one is five years old. When ever the new TF cartoons are on the TV (its mostly energon here) they couldn't care less. But I have all the G1 cartoons and the movie on DVD and when I put them on they really enjoy them. Those cartoons are way better than the new stuff, mostly because they (for the most part) make sense!!!

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My oldest son first saw the movie when he was about 7 or 8, along with some friends of his that were over at the house, they liked it, and giggled at the cursing - the funniest part was they thought Blaster and Soundwave's cassettes were Minicons.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    My son likes the movie and he is 5, but was likely 3-4 when he first saw it. I think he was a little unsure of the opening sequence, with Unicron eating and killing an entire planet, but over all it was all good.

As for the Spike sailor mouth, well, it is pretty quick, they may not catch it.

Funny enough he likes to watch Beast Wars the best…

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'd show them seasons 1 & 2 of G1 first (or at least the best episodes). TFTM would be hard for newcommers to understand because watching the movie is like trying to get someone into X-Files by just showing them the that movie. Yes, you might understand the plot, but you won't care about the characters unless you see the series first.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw the movie when it first came out to video when I was 4 years old. It was the first TF thing I ever saw. It is the sole reason why I'm so big on TF now 20 years later. And dude, I'd be sad to be this generation of kids, because the 80s had very inspiring and imaganitave toons, where as today everything's a bit more flat. The cartoons from that era is the one thing the 80s did good. And beyond all things, the movie is so epic and the animation is so detailed (I still notice things in the background art that I didn't before today) that it's impossible for anyone to not like it, even if they are one of the people who complain that their favorite TF was killed in there. But yeah, I beilieve I've grown up alright with having grown up with this movie, just a little bit of a TF addiction problem now is all.

15. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Most likely they won't even care,I show T:TM to my 7-8 year old cousins and they were more interested in watching a ant on the floor.

16. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The problem with showing them the TF movie is it won't hit them like it hits a true fan. Who doesn't cry when Prime dies? They probably won't be as moved unless you show them G1 episodes and allow them to get attached to the old characters.

That aside, I think they'll be entertained and the songs are liked by all. The 80's are a trend now. The 12 year olds might be put off, but I'd say 5-9 year olds will love (probably just the boys too, girls might like Arcee).

17. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'm kinda surprised at the posts in this thread where people have said that modern kids liked the movie. I would have assumed that the kids wouldn't get it or like it. It reminds me of something I vaguely remember seeing on TV or reading (or both) where modern little kids are shown classic old videogames and they all hate them & say nasty things about them. (Which makes me very sad.)

Original poster, please let us know how it goes.

18. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I'd show 'em a few episodes of the series first. I mean I had first watched Transformers the Movie after only seeing More Than Meets the Eye and I was a little confused. Of course I knew the big players like Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Bumblebee, Jazz, Cliffjumper, and pretty much anyone else who appeared in the original three-parter but otherwise I was pretty confused.

19. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I had 6 old episodes on VHS that I showed my 7 year old niece and 4 year old nephew and then their dad rented the movie for them- They both loved it and are entirely obsessed with Transformers now...

So apparently they thought it was much more interesting to them than an ant like the previous poster stated

20. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I think the smart thing to do is to size up the parents. If you've got a parent that might object to their kids seeing violence (and the movie had more than its share, including lots of death) then just for your own sake, I'd probably pick something else.

Also, I never could get a kid to finish TFTM. They seem to get bored with it. They never got bored with Season 1 episodes, though. And kids generally don't give a rat's ass about animation quality anyway.

Or just download an illegal copy of Wall-E and let them watch that :) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.