Is the original still the best?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Ok, sensitive, shit will break lose, hide the women and children thread ahead with an alternate future purpose as well.

So when I started my comparison thread I did it to show all the figures next to each other so people can appreciate each and what they bring to the table.

For the longest time, people would always show love to classics. To my surprise, people kept quoting that the classics were the worst of the 3, mp, classics and G1.

So the question becomes, after all these years, is the blocky G1 line still the top line around? I mean, MP is great, but so few figures at this moment. So, start your engines, and go!

2. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

I understand the nostalgia factor with G1 toys, but I think the CHUGs are better, and MP (assuming they keep the line going strong) better still.

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I think a lot of people prefer G1 due to nostalgia. Because, seriously, while their were a few gems, G1 toys are crappy by today's standards (OK, maybe not so much "today" as... pre DOTM/Prime mainline).

G1 fans, please don't hurt me.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hahahahahaha no

5. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Nah, I still prefer the newer toys to the old G1 figures. I never really liked their aesthetic.

6. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    I like G1 toys. But then again, most of the G1 guys that I love are toys that haven't been updated (i.e. Needlenose, Snarler, etc.). Regardless, they aren't as good as newer toys.

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    My opinion? No. G1 toys are neat, but you will never see me getting any more than the four or five I have now. I like modern engineering, and I like modern articulation. Those two are the biggest selling points for me about modern toys, and because of that I just cannot rationalize myself getting G1 stuff.

8. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Classics = cheap looking toys.
    G1 = Boring
    MP = Well, there's no contest. Hence the name.
    Check my sig.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As someone without any attachment to the G1 toys, I must answer hell no. G1 toys are boring bricks with no articulation, awful proportions, and incredibly simple transformations. Alucard77 and I highly disagree on the subject of transformation complexity (I love it he hates it), so this thread comes as little surprise to me.

I have absolutely zero interest in G1 toys. In fact if someone gave me one, I would likely donate it or pass it along to someone who would like it.

But hey, it's your own collection so feel free to disagree with my opinion.

10. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    For me yes the G1 line is still the best specifically the 84-86 line. I don't like most of the post-movie figures. With a few exceptions I don't like the Classics line much at all. The Masterpiece line is pretty awesome for the most part but as you said there aren't many figures plus you have issues like Ultra Magnus with no armor, a crappy Megatron, and a new Thundercracker that for some reason has a picture of Reflector on him.

11. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personal preferance :)  I like G1 Seekers mould better than their Classics update (and I had Classics Starscream before Encore Starscream), but I know many people don't agree. It's not something we can agree on which is best and that's why threads like this often turn into endless arguments.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Better toys? Not even remotely.

It's all sentimentality and the "when I grew up" mindset, which isn't a bad thing per se, but people often confuse what they have a deeper appreciation for with "better." And that's where these issues come from.

The Classics lines are the characters I loved as a kid in the toys that weren't available to me as that kid.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I think the responses are interesting as people are bringing in their own things. I started this thread to keep it out of the other thread.

But please note how I said the line. The line with combiners, city formers, different scales, gimmicks, target masters, head masters and so on. And I am just talking about US releases only.

But it's intriguing to see people talk about the toy, the transformations, etc. Which goes full round circle back to why I posted the original comparison thread. Because everyone has something they look at, so everyone can see and appreciate something different.

14. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    If they were so good, people wouln't be wanting updated versions now would they?

15. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

While I love the GT40 it doesn't mean that I don't want a 2005 Ford GT...

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Exactly.

I'm going to avoid this one.

17. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

My reason for starting to collect transformers was purely out of nostalgia. That's where classics came in but remembering the first TF I bought as an adult, alternator, gave me a sense of the toys finally becoming more an adult collectible rather than just a toy. My first MP was DVD Prime. I going through phases at moment.

Classics, I believe, are still what they were before. Just a line to fill the gaps in between the really good stuff, MP. It does the job pretty well. It kept me going.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I fully understand nostalgia for the originals. I absolutely love the RID figures I have, but I realize they most definitely have flaws. The plastic feels kinda brittle, I at times cringe when transforming them, but I have been lucky that the tires on my Optimus Prime haven't rotted out...yet. Which is exactly why I want to see some RID updates. I want to see how Hasbro could improve upon what they've already done. Even if I'll never get rid of my RID originals...

19. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Other than fan nostaligia,my answer is no.

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Just wanted to say it again, toy line, line as a whole.