Is the ongoing worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by General Magnus, May 26, 2010.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´ve been thinking of expanding my comic book reading and, well, I´ve been thinking of getting the Transformers ongoing. Is it worth it to bother with it?

2. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Its pretty ok in my opinion, I would get the singles monthly if it was of the same caliber as LSOTW, but I dropped the singles with issue 6 and switch to trades as IDW's releasing the tpb, 2,3 after the storyline's last issue's release.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'm enjoying it and Don's new G1/movie hybrid style has really grown on me. Pick up the first couple of issues and see what you think.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

They're best if read with the peripheral book Bumblebee just so you get the complete story, although the latter got less stellar reviews from the fandom. I didn't mind it as a nice supplement. If you've got the money to spend, go for both, and you MUST pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers.

5. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    The ongoing is good story wise, not too high on the new look b/c to me it seems they are trying to make it look too much like the movie robots which I was never real fond of. But the it is starting to grow on me as well....but I recommend getting the ongoing series and LSOTW, don't know about the Bumblebee series as I didn't even bother with it.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Absoloutely not.

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The art is quite nice but storywise there's nothing really there to be honest. Not only is it stuff that's been covered before but
    the big shakeups in the first issue - Optimus resigning and Ironhide copping it, are both undone by the end of the first story arc - Optimus is released and pretty much restored to command, and Ironhide is resurrected on Cybertron in the Ironhide miniseries

I'd compare it to Infiltration to be honest - if felt like it could and should have been done over the course of 3 or 4 issues.

8. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    No, he isn't. Bumblebee's still in charge.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    In all honesty the Jury is still out, but I'm leaning towards dropping. Comics are getting too expensive for me to buy books that I'm not sure if I like or not.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    It's ok, but yeah, comics are too expensive now to pick up something you don't absolutely love. At least that's how it is for me. I picked up a bunch of books today, but passed TF#7 right by without even batting an eyelash.

I've never passed up a (mainline) TF comic before. EVER.

11. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Yes, how long do you think that will last before he does the "Prime, I'm not cut out for leadership" lark.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After becoming disenchanted with old man Furman for a while, I am loving the ongoing. A breath of fresh air and I highly recommend it (this is from some one who gave up buying individual issues at the end of Infiltration in 2006). I even liked the mini-series "Bumblebee" though I haven't read #4 yet.

13. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    Sorry, no it's not. Like AHM, it's slow, plodding, predictable and the story relies heavily on the Autobots being idiots who're lost without Prime and the inevitable Decepticon betrayal is telegraphed a mile away and you end up hating the Autobots for falling for it. There's a lot of emphasis on the thoroughly unlikeable IDW Spike who looks like he's going to be the focus of the ongoing as long as Costa is in charge.

It has a season 2 vibe about it, with characters turning up from out of nowhere with no explanation and not being used again and with Don's new style, it's often hard to work out who they're meant to be. The art is very much hit or miss, mostly miss from my perspective as I'm not a fan of the movies and find that the faces have all the range of emotion of a housecats, a lot of the time the only way you can tell what emotion they're supposed to show is by the angle their head's tilted and their posture.

Costa manages to strip Prowl of most of what made him a unique character for the Autobots in the first issue and has him as just another Autobot (The spotlight that was supposed to explain it goes a little way to doing that, but doesn't justify why he needed to do that to Prowl to begin with) and he manages to make both Ultra Magnus and Hotrod/Rodimus into rather pathetic figures for different reasons. Like AHM, the only real winner is Thundercracker who gets a pretty decent spotlight in issue 4, but that's not enough for me to say I'm enjoying this run or to recommend it. It's better than AHM, but it's not great, not by a long shot.

14. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I agree insofar as it's like season 2 with the random character entries and then never being seen again.

If you compare to any of the -ations before Revelation (which had a lot of characters involved) the fact that each side was essentially 6 or 7 characters helped the development a lot, especially the Autobots. Further to this, and this started with Revelation and continued with Maximum Dinobots and AHM (this is looking at it continuity wise, I'm aware they weren't released in that order) is the complete removal of holo avatars. For a while there the weathered and slightly craggy looking blonde paramedic or the angry man with the tache in the suit were synonymous with Ratchet and Ironhide, and now they've just been forgotten.

They just need to dial back the amount of characters involved. Sort of a Beast Wars approach (as was seen for the first half of IDW's stuff). The only characters that have received significant development have been Swindle, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod and Thundercracker.

Regarding characters not being recognised, that's just fans being trite over the art style or not knowing enough about Transformers in general to recognise them. The only real curveball we've been thrown was Hot Spot standing in the background of a single panel, and it took people a while to realise who he was because he never appeared before that and hasn't since. Some people didn't clock that it was Sandstorm standing next to Hot Rod/Rodimus/whatever when he initially was confronted by Ultra Magnus in #4 but to be honest it was plain as day who he was - we'd even been told that Sandstorm had gone with Hot Rod crowd.