Is the new MP line worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xcaliber037, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Xcaliber037

Xcaliber037 AH-64D Longbow

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

So the new pictures for MP Soundwave came out and I have to say it looks awesome. The whole lot looks great together. My question is... is it worth it? Most of us here have the majority if not all of the Classics figures along with the earlier releases of MP. Some, like me, mix Classics with MP and 3rd party. Does anyone think it's like hitting the reset button and starting all over?

Here are my concerns:

Has/Tak has yet to release some figure like Trailbreaker/Hoist and others. How do we know if they plan on making all the characters in MP scale? It took them years to finally come out with classics Jazz and Wheeljack.

Takara said they will do the new MP line to scale. Is Grimlock going to get a reboot and made taller than MP10?

Currently we get more than one classics figure in a single release at about $12 each. (That is if distribution is kind to your area) MP ranges from $80 to $200 plus. What will the release schedule look like for MP? Is it about one every 6 to 12 months or longer? That would mean it would take ages to complete just the Autobots.

Discuss!!

2. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Yes...

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i think im going to go ahead and add the new mp stuff. ive got all 6 igear seekers, grimlock, mp-01 and mp-05.

BUT, im not giving up my classics/3p either though. there are some really awesome bots in the classics 3p line up and the autobot scale is getting real good with additions like faith leader, mp grimlock, 1/48 jetfire and the igear vanbots. 3p combiners are all going to BEST fit in the classics line. they will work as masterpice, but they will be most impressive with classics.

that collection is so close to complete for me that would be insane. we are even getting brawn, cosmos and gears coming soon. freaking awesome times. think of how fans had to beg hasbro to make x and y bots. then they had to give up and take a 3rd party option because hasbro didnt want to. do you really want to do that over again? ive got my classics and whatever mp they make is icing on the transformers collection cake.

the decepticons are still a bit undersized compared to their autobot enemies in classics, but i will display in seperate small rotating groups anyways. thats why im most excited about these decepticon mps. they really needed an upgrade. ive got all the igear seekers as a good start.

4. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    It's hard to say if the MP line is better than going with classics. Its a totally subjective question. Price is always going to be an issue to some and not to others. It will always be up to the individual on what they are comfortable with. Everyone will have a different and equally valid opinion. I can say for me it totally is. I would rather have large highly articulated figures that best represent their G1 self, over the classics. I had gotten rid of every TF I owned awhile back. The only things I kept were my MP's, so I'm very excited to see TT pumping out more figures. That being said, I highly doubt you will ever see as many character in the MP line as we have seen in the Classics. I also highly doubt Grimlock will get a larger figure. They probably think he is close enough to being in scale, seeing as he is as big as MP-10.

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The Hasbro prices are.

I guess with the influx of 3P items and their much higher prices, I am not as put off by Takara's new higher prices.

Maybe the 3P era was just a ploy by HasTak to get collectors used to buying much more expensive TFs :p 

6. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It's hard to judge the future of the line when we don't have the majority of the toys revealed for this new scale out yet. That being said, like Peanut04 said above I really doubt that we'll get the full-on Classics-style treatment in the Masterpiece line, and I really think we'll still get characters like Trailbreaker and Hoist in the Deluxe line-up of Classics before Takara-Tomy even decides to go "Hey, let's make Masterpieces of these guys."

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buy them if you want perfect/near perfect renditions of (usually) iconic characters, not as a replacement for Classics.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For fans of G1, this series will be worth it. The reason why my renewed interest in TFs is due to the new scales. Even when collectors were doubtful if TakaraTomy will keep their word in keeping the new characters scaled, I don't doubt them. It's the ethos of a Japanese company to do as they say.

My first concern is whether TakaraTomy will get the license to make the other characters like Bumblebee and Jazz.

The second concern is the QC. I really hope QC is properly controlled. The first release of Rodimus was really bad. However signs from the new Optimus, the reissue Roddy and Starscream version 2, show that QC has improved.

The third concern is the so-called upcoming global recession because of Europe. Because if it happens, production plans may change.

If things go well, I can foresee TakaraTomy churning out 3 to 4 MPs per year. I don't think I'm being over optimistic because there is a demand for higher end toys. This can be seen in Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line and Hot Toys 12 inch figures.

The best thing is that other than Optimus, Megatron, Galavtron and Rodimus, the rest of the Autobot cars are smaller in scale and the price point won't be too expensive.

As for Classics or CHUG, some of the figures just can't 'cut it'. For example, the first version of Optimus and Megatron. I would prefer them to resemble their original counterparts which some of them have. E.g. the Prowl and Starscream mold, Jazz and Wheeljack.

I won't sell my Classics but if TakaraTomy delivers on the MP line, it along with G1 reissues will be the only 2 lines I will be focusing on

9. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    lousy value for money, even at one every 3 months, will take ages to complete the first couple of seasons.

But people, including me, will still buy them.

10. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have the $$$, yeah.

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Now that we are getting more MP releases at a quicker pace I'm going 98% all Masterpiece. I'll still buy the rare awesome figure at retail like Vehicon but for the most part I'm done with everything else. Make mine Masterpice.

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Depends on how you look at your shelves.

I'm no stranger to a minimalistic, high-profile approach with few high end figures. I don't need EVERY G1 figure ever done in Masterpiece, just the big guns are enough for me and we're getting those.

All I'd like is an MP Prowl and a roundup of the leaders [megatron, galvatron, magnus] and I'm golden.

It's just a huge coincidence that my favourite autobot G1 car is Sideswipe.

13. AMG

AMG Old School

I would say yes. MP are the Rolls Royce of Transformers.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    it is totally worth it

though i must say, do not put these with your classics, they don't fit in, masterpiece has never fit in with classics and people who do that just make their shelves look bad

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I say yes! I love MP Transformers and to me, they are way better than classics:2c: 

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I have to say, I haven't been this excited about a new transformer release in years... maybe since Alternators or when Car Robots was first released.

17. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Yes, yes they are. Masterpieces are just as they sound, they're the pinnacle of toy design, and are made with the fans in mind, so they go all out with details and poseability.

But if you're only going to get one, or need to save up to afford one, go for Soundwave. HE IS SUPERIOR!

18. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    If you can afford it, yeah. I'll probably have to settle for just Soundwave.

19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Yep.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    of course, they don't call them masterpiece for nothing,