Is the NCAA "fair" anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw an op-ed piece in my paper about the NCAA's selective process of enforcing rule on universities.
    and i was wondering if any of you college sports fans agreed with it.
    i agree completely with the Reggie Bush example.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#yahooBuzzBadge-form { font-size:10px; margin:0px; padding:0px; }

Alabama, Florida State under different set of rules | Dothan Eagle

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Until there is a playoff system in college football, the whole system is a failure anyways.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yep, and like any league system, there are favorites and "outcasts." USC will always be the darling of the NCAA.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I wouldn't call their scholarship reduction stiff.

I think they went from 86 to 82 next year, 82 the following year, and then 85 on the third year. Oh noes!

5. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You guys don't want me input on this, it could get really ugly.

FSU got hit hard, but look at what they did.

Alabama should get a slap on the wrist, but they don't like us too much. Why? We are a southern team. And the phrase "Failure to monitor textbook distribution systems" is ludicrous to me. The NCAA cleared those guys to play. I fail to realize how a bunch of kids getting textbooks that they had to turn in or pay for (under scholarship nonetheless) is a major violation.

USC needs major penalties, but they are going to get away scott free. I am sick of the NCAA cherrypicking who they want to go after and what they want to enforce.

6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

And Notre Dame football will always be over-rated. (At least until they get good again. Then all we'll here is, "we told you so!")

The NCAA rules, both ridiculous and sublime, always have been and always will be selectively enforced.

Here's a pretty good SI article from 2003 on the rampant :) rolleyes:)  rule breaking at Utah.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Gregg Doyle wrote a very good article about the inconsistency of the NCAA in a CBSSportsline article yesterday. Penn St. and Florida St. football players are basically unsupervised and have gotten into a lot of trouble without significant repercussions for the universities over the past decade. Paterno and Bowden own this responsibility, but the Powers that Be are reluctant to hold them accountable.

Otherwise, the NCAA has all kinds of problems. Title IX is a WHOLE other problem that deserves to be its own controversy.

8. Tenebrouser

You know why USC players like to stay in school these days? Turning pro forces them to take a pay cut....

Just passing the joke around.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    NCAA has always played favorites in my mind *COUGHDUKEBASKETBALLCOUGH*.

I'm not saying that Duke basketball isn't good or doesn't run a clean program. But the amount of favoritism shown to them is outstanding.

And of course there's the whole making millions of money while performing witch hunts on student athletes who barely make anything and get punished for accepting an old used mattress from a friend.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I know a kid that got a scholarship to play baseball, and his parents couldn't give hime birthday gifts or christmas presents because it could be a rules violation. And remember Ian Johnson from Boise State? He was knitting his own skullcaps and selling them, but the NCAA made him stop because they said he was making money off his own name. The NCAA is hypocritical.

11. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    As long as the NCAA can make money, they don't care about anything else. Why not give student athletes a stipend, even just a couple hundred a month. They are making you MILLIONS

12. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    what's wrong with Title IX?

13. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

USC gets away with everything because they're in one of the biggest, if not the biggest market. Pisses me off.

14. Tenebrouser

Some would argue that women's sports programs don't deserve to be funded as they currently are, especially since they don't bring in money to the universities. The same can be said for a lot of college sports though. Outside of football and basketball, college sports teams absolutely flush money down the toilet and are seldom money makers.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Does Title IX apply to private schools?

16. Tenebrouser

I'm not too sure of that, but if I had to guess I'd say it doesn't since those schools don't receive public funding.

17. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Only private schools which receive public funding. But a lot of private schools use it as general guidelines.

I lump it together with Sarbanes Oxley; while not total bullshit, it needs a good efficiency and common sense overhaul.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I compare the NCAA to NBA and MLB; when they need a swift reaction to salvage their reputation and keep fans' faith, they drop the ball and look away.
    some ridiculously trivial thing gets treated like the OJ case.

something that bugs me is that this FSU thing affects Bowden's race with JoePa.
    i find this aspect fascinating. it's like that Asterisk (*) next to Maris' name, and will be next to a lot of current and soon to be eligible MLB Hall of Famers.

when this is all over, will Bowden have one, too?

SunnyDay77, do you remember which season 'bama had to forfeit their entire season during Stallings' term over some violations? (will look it up myself later, just in case)
    i understand the NCAA taking wins away statistically, but it is a hard to grasp concept (for me) to erase games that were physically won on the field.

so i am mixed about retroactively telling the sports world and history that FSU or Bowden didn't win 14 games.

As for Title IX, i think women's sports should be supported somehow. down here, there is little or no real support for girl's sports at the jr/sr high school level, and it has been a while, but at UA, i have seen women's sporting events where attendance was sparse.
    there's not many careers for women athletes after college, (compared to men) and i think women athletes need the scholarships.

one last comment about College sports.
    Troy U did something a few years back that seemed like dirty pool. When they consolidated all their campuses so that the college could move up to Div. I and the football team could be with the big dogs, they hurt their branch campuses.
    Students at the TU-Dothan campus were paying fees for things they could not use, just to pay for improvements to the stadium and atheletics department.
    that wasn't right.

19. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    It was 1993 - Antonio Langham wrote a letter of intent to sign with an agent on a cocktail napkin at a bar in NO following the NC game. Stupid.

Problem with Bama was, we weren't innocent in the 90s. Bob Backrath, our idiot of an AD at the time, ran a loose program. Stallings, while disciplined on the field, didn't care about off the field issues. Let's face it - you are talking about a time when you had powerhouses such as Miami, FSU, Nebraska, etc., all doing things they weren't suppose too.

I have no problems with the NCAA monitoring and enforcing rules. My issue is with the tremendous and blatant lack of consistency in their investigations and punishments. Even in the case a few years back, we got absolutely nailed for the actions of a booster that was out of control - and had been told by Alabama to stay away.

20. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    It wasn't right that they handled it in the manner they did, but moving to D1 was the best thing they could do for the good of the University. Troy State (Troy before they dropped the State) always had a strong football program, but moving to D1, they have immediately made an impact financially as well as put the name of the University in a public eye, which benefits everyone.