Is the movie being under-marketed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    I just got in a spat with another TF fan over this. He insists that the Movie is not recieving the marketing it should be, when compared to this summer's other blockbusters, like Spider-Man 3. I look at the fact there's 2 months remaining, and I think that knowing what's going to be coming up in June, that there's plenty of marketing planned.

What are your guys opinions? Should the movie be more marketted then it currently is being?

2. SDL

SDL Well-Known Member

I think that so far it's not had the exposure it should have had. Here in the UK all i've seen is the original Eye poster in my local Cinema. I've not seen any of the3 trailer trailers or the newer posters or anything.

If we don't get a massive shift in marketing after Spidey 3 comes out on friday then i will be saying that they've F'ed up with marketing the movie.

Wasn't there some spat between Bay and Dreamworks over 'The Island' promotional blurb?

3. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

Timing is everything. I think they want to wait until the Spider Man 3 wave has passed so they can make their own. Remember, it gonna one of the major summer blockbuster type films. Its just too early. You don't want it to be overhyped too early, then you get a "backlash" before it even comes out. Like Snakes on a Plane. If the movie is good, it will pull in audiences no matter what. Better to be a sleeper hit, or just have on-time marketing, instead of overhype too early. Its not even hot yet (at least up in NYC).

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'd say the full marketing potential is yet to be applied. We're down to about 60 days until the movie is launched. Protoform toys are out and a ton of other merchandise is being unveiled. I think the brunt of the movie promotions will start to take place around Memorial Day weekend and hold strong all the way until July 4th.

If you want to talk pace, Spiderman 3 launched their toys on March 24th (approx) and the movie comes out in 4 days. Means they've had about 5-6 weeks of soak in the store and there have been loads of spots on TV.

Personally I think Spiderman 3 started about 2-3 weeks too early. I think 3 weeks before opening weekend would have been find for a third part in the series.

Transformers is on track for a successful launch in my opinion. If the movie toys hit the shelves June 2 and a more aggressive marketing implemented(The Pepsi deal and more movie spots) , that will give people 4 weeks to soak up and say "I'm going to spend my money to see this movie."

5. paskal

paskal SHWOOOO!!

Wait until after Spiderman 3, then I'm sure they'll ramp it up. Especially given the test audience results. Besides telling them they don't need to alter the movie too much, those results also tell them how much they should spend on marketing.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dont think so. now ive got all this friends whove known me for collecting coming up to me asking, dude whatsup with the new TF movie, so i guess its there in terms of laymen awareness.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I totally agree with everyone...I'm glad they're trying not to compete with the Spider-Man juggernaut. Once the initial Spidey craze is over, I'd assume we'll be seeing a lot more promotional stuff, especially, as you said, in June when the toys are released.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's on track. I'm sure they'll reve it up once the Spider-Man juggernaut is out of the way. :lol  That's also probably why Hasbro is telling retailers to hold off on the figures. Even though there was a mix up on the street dates.

9. mtalon1

mtalon1 Active Member

People know there's a movie coming. I'm sure they don't want to oversaturate just yet. TV spots are showing, the trailer's out, etc.

I believe 6-8 weeks is the norm now for merchandising pushes. We're not quite into that window yet, but as you can tell by the other news on the site it looks like they're getting ready. Don't worry, by 7/4 there won't be a person out there who doesn't know about the movie (for better or worse).

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think you can look at the merchandise list here and feel that the movie is being undermarketed, but I'm delighted we're not being saturated with it too early.

I mean, I've been looking forward to SM3 for several years, and at this point I'm already so burned out on it, I just want it to get here and be over with.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's getting too many marketing tie-ins, like the lunchables, which have pictures of completely unkid friendly looking things on them for a PG13 movie. But anyways, besides marketing tie ins, no, I don't think enough movies have had the trailers and there hasn't been enough TV spots. Lots of people know about it, but not enough to know when to go see it. That can all change in the next few months. Either way, I don't want to have 3 trailers that show you scene for scene the major parts of the movie, like some other big spider-like movie coming out this Summer.

12. Harbinger[TG]

Harbinger[TG] Almost Toyless

Hasbro has the rights to TF and Marvel so im sure there is some "planning" going on.

While as kickass and cool TF might be, it is not the sure thing blockbuster with a huge cast.

They really didn't market 300 much and it did really well.

13. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Under-marketed? The movie isn't going to hit theatres for over two months!

I'm indifferent to this movie, but there is such a thing as over-marketing. Two+ months of heavy advertising may actually turn viewers off of the film. I can't speak for others, but endless film adverts can really dimminish the innitial wow factor for a new movie. I would imagine they will turn up the marketing hype towards the end of May.

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

If they start marketing too early there's a chance it'll blow itself out too soon.
    Sad but true that people's attention spans these days really are shorter. If the film isn't there a fortnight after they see a TV spot, they'll start thinking of something else.

Certainly from a merchandsing stand-point, SPIDER-MAN 3 didn't really swing into full gear until a couple of weeks before the release of the film, and I'm only just seeing TV spots now.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's got 3 or 4 notable teasers/trailers and an online ARG, I think it's doing alright as far as marketing goes so far.

16. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

undermarketed???

the uk is getting transformers bath salts................

17. SDL

SDL Well-Known Member

What?

When was that announced?

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm starting to see posters everywhere now-a-days. But very little air time. But we still have two months left. I'm certain we'll be seeing more trailers on tv soon enough.

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    besides online stuff, I have yet to see any marketing for Spiderman 3, nor Transformers.