is the lack of silver on DOTM Sideswipe really a problem?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by eagc7, Dec 25, 2011.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    i got DOTM Sideswipe and he is my fav dotm figure so far. and the lack of SIlver doesnt bug me a little, in fact i think his color skin is better than the ROTF one

so i am wondering why the lack of Silver paint is a problem to some of you when he looks perfect withotu it?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Its a nice figure but the problem with the lack of the silver paint is that he really does not look as good as previous versions. Not an issue imo i still like the figure but he looks pretty lackluster in comparison to his other molds.

3. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

^Pretty much THIS. The lack of silver paint on the toy pretty much makes it look unfinished and dull in vehicle mode compared to ROTF Sideswipe. And this is particularly bad because that's the mode the toy is packaged in. Once you can see past this, he's great, and I'm really looking forward to getting Darksteel now that I know the mold itself is good.

I fear Soundwave may have similar problems, both Deluxe and HA... A pity, because surely they're gonna be better than ROTF Soundwave, right?

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Krylon Silver spray paint will solve that problem.

5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As stated, the paint leaves him looking less impressive than before.

Here's what I don't get- lots of people seem to think the mold is great. I will happily grant that the car mode is nicer than before, and has the best executed body panels he's had. But I find the robot mode to be lacking. Not awful, but Sidearm Sideswipe is the best and most movie accurate sculpt he's had. I'm not sure how DOTM Sideswipe has overshadowed that.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I don't have Sidearm Sideswipe, but I have ROTF Sideswipe and DOTM Sideswipe. I honestly can't decide which one is better/worse. I think DOTM Sideswipe is more playable, it is easier to transform, it has less kibble, and it should be the better toy. However, DOTM Sideswipe is smaller than ROTF Sideswipe and costs more, it sometimes feels like a bootleg with that plastic quality, and I really do think the lack of silver paint is a huge negative. Not only the lack of silver paint, but the lack of color, period. Movie Sideswipe has (at minimum) a colorful Chevy logo on his chest, some red lights, and some colored detail on the thighs. These details are all gone on DOTM Sideswipe, making it feel like a neglected Gundam model kit that really needed those decals or paint applications to make it finished.

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can like a mold without liking its deco (or glaring lack of one). Sideswipe itself is a nice toy (with one of the better Mechtech weapons too) but the lack of a silver paint deco makes it look rather bland compared to its RotF brethren. Coming in a line where other toys (Roadbuster, Jolt, among others) have a lack of paint aps doesn't help much either, since it's not like the entire budget for paint aps for DotM went to many other toys.

Metallic silver just looks prettier than dull grey on anything, let alone the toy of a badass Autobot that turns into a slick sports car. Sideswipe should never look "boring," yet Hasbro managed to pull that off (and Takara didn't bother to step in and change theirs to at least provide a more expensive alternative).

Then again, no offense to the thread author, but you did say once that that RotF Desert Tracker Ratchet was your favorite Ratchet, when that's probably the ugliest one we've gotten, so forgive me if I take your evaluation of decoes with a grain of salt.

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    that was my fav ratchet (i still like him) in 2009-2010, my fav ratchet right now is the DOTM Deluxe one

9. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, it's mostly that particular color that is sometimes referred to as "Hasbro gray."

It just doesn't read as silver to my eyes much at all and the tone or what seems to be a slightly translucent plastic quality washes out the detail.

It bugs me more on other figures, though, since something like a Leader Optimus could have the gray bits done in a darker gray plastic that can have a stronger metallic look. Going darker or having visible metallic swirls in Sideswipe's plastic wouldn't work so well, so I try to understand that toy production costs keep rising.

I think DOTM Sideswipe turned out pretty well, but he is a constant reminder of those scary rising costs that have gotten so much worse since his previous versions. The robot mode is nice now that I've trimmed behind his knees I he's more poseable. The panel edges in car mode could be a little cleaner and more flush and silver paint certainly wouldn't make him a worse figure. If previous figures and his own packaging photo hadn't been painted, he'd probably be more well received to an extent, I think.

10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Answer: He doesn't look perfect without it.

Simple as pie.

11. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

The lack of silver isn't a problem for me, as of matter of fact, I think he looks better.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Is it because people don't like having dull looking toys.

I like the DOTM Sideswipe mold and hell i like it more than the ROTF version.

13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well it's not that bad of a problem but it still looks a little dull when comparied to his priveous versions paint jobs. That's why I'm planing to get the Dark Steel remold because it's colors are much better.

14. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

what Soundwave

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    DOTM Human Alliance and Deluxe Class Soundwave that still hasn't got released.

16. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    ^^i think he was being sarcastic.

17. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I go by this very simple, easy to follow rule...

If you don't like, don't buy it.

18. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I love this figure, the paint I deal with but it was painted silver like ROTF Sideswipe it would be in the running for one of my favorite figures.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, it is a problem. The figure looks as boring and bland as beans.

I don't know why I'd bother wasting $10 when I could buy HFTD Sidearm Sideswipe, who has a much nicer paint job, on the same shelf.

20. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a huge problem. I'm not a fan of most boring Hasbro greys in the first place, but there's no excuse for it when the figure's supposed to be silver.