is the KO version of the D.I.A. commander armor anygood?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tb-1599, Mar 11, 2011.

1. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about pickinp up the KO version of the D.I.A. armor its just more in my budget. Does anybody have this KO armor? I wont be "Playing" with it just up on the shelf with the occasional transformation.

2. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I posted this same question a few weeks back - you may want to check it out in the Toys forum. The consensus was yes, the KO was good. The opinions were enough to sway me, so I ordered mine from KO toys. Haven't gotten it yet, but I chose the cheaper slower shipping option.

Tim
    "toy geek"

3. tb-1599

thanks I actually just found a video review on youtube. I am still kinda in the air about it..

4. TimToyGeek

I got the PO notification late on Saturday, so I will be picking mine up on Monday afternoon - I may do a pictorial review or just post something here. I don't have any other version of the mold to compare it to, but I know a good solid toy when I play with one, so I'll offer some feedback on mine.

Tim

5. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    I have it already. Never had a breakage issue with mine. Some of the pieces are a little loose, but it's awesome for display purposes. I've transformed mine prolly 20 times.

6. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its good. Just dont get the ko city commander thas crap in most cases and reviews.

7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
  8. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    LOL!

You know its good stuff once mac&cheese gives the nod. :popcorn 

9. tb-1599

well I was lucky I found the real deal here on the boards so I just snatched that up.

10. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    As long as you don't transform them constantly the KOs will work fine.

The arms and shoulders can and will slide a bit if the arms are pointed down.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    arms and shoulders liked to fall off on my shadow commander KO, got sick of the crap and got a real one

12. TimToyGeek

I opened up my KO DIA Commander set from KOToys.com yesterday. I was not expecting such a faithful and well made knockoff - in fact, if I didn't know this was a knockoff (not having the original, especially) I would not suspect this was anything other than the real deal.

The plastic quality is excellent, the chrome just right, the packaging and extras are nearly perfect (I only spotted a couple of typos, usually the packaging is the first tipoff). I was surprised to see the full comic book instruction, a sturdy sticker sheet, a small bag of rubber plugs for finishing, the missile launchers and that clear attache case with little red energon cubes.

The trailer holds together well and looks great with my old Classics Prime. The missile launchers are great in this mode too.

I have not used any of the City Commander molds before, but I was pleased that it transformed as smoothly as it did, and that it clamped onto the Prime mold as well as it does. For a toy where every millimeter tolerance counts, the KO gets most of it right.

One of the hand pieces is a bit wobbly but stays on, both shoulders are a little wobbly but are fine once they snug up to the chest armor. The BFG2000 accessory is ridiculous - I see its use, but there's no way it can be a practical weapon most of the time. The launchers don't really go into the shoulder armors all that well - they're fine at certain angles, and stay on, but I may look into snugging up those shoulder holes. In general there may be a couple of small adjustments to make up for wobbly pieces, but the KO gets a lot more right than I thought it would.

There was a little extra piece that came attached to the hand-peg for the BFG, it's kind of an extra peg with a little clip. I can't seem to find a use for it, and there's nothing in the instruction that indicates what this piece is for. Anyone know what this does?

In all, I'm happy that I went with the KO rather than the original - they're more in my price range, and the overall quality of the KO is remarkable.

Tim
    "toy geek"

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    extra peg with clip is for the sword from shadow commander, they just didn't remold the gun clip

14. TimToyGeek

Thanks for the info - I knew it had to be something less obvious like that.

Tim
    "toy geek"

15. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When did you order yours? I ordered on 3-25 and I'm hoping to get it soon!

16. TimToyGeek

Mid February or so - it took a little less than a month to get to me, which was okay, considering I chose the cheapest least efficient shipping option.

Tim
    "toy geek"

17. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheap shipping for me too. Thanks for answering. I'm jonsing!