Is the Japanese G1 continuity the "biggest"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by johnboy3434, May 6, 2011.

1. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

I mean in terms of volume of material. I didn't realize until I really looked into it the other day, but it seems to dwarf all other continuities in the amount of material presented as a continuous whole (ehh... for a given value of "continuous", anyway). The various series that it encompasses amount to roughly 411 episodes worth of material, not to mention the plethora of manga adventures that I'm not going to bother counting. If there's another "branch" of the brand that is as prolific, I certainly don't see it.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would agreee, Takara G1 lasted more than a year or so after Action Masters bit the dust in the USA. While USA castoons stopped at Rebirth, Takara went on with Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory and ending with Transformers Zone but kept G1 Transformers alive a little longer through Magma, Return of Star Convoy, and ending with Operation Combination. Come to think of it, it took a long time for G1 to completely go away.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    And think about all the after-the-fact fiction Takara tried to shove into the G1 cartoon continuity! Robot Masters, Binaltech, Car Robots...

4. johnboy3434

Actually, the 411-episode figure was including every cartoon element that they currently consider part of the G1 continuity (Robots in Disguise, the Beast Era stuff, etc.).

Just out of curiosity, did anyone keep a record of that crazy timeline they used to have on their website? You know, the one that included the 2007 film in the G1 continuity before they realized that was stupid?

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's one way of looking at it. They just took a different route. Instead of having everything in it's own universe, they just somehow forced everything into one continuity, which has resulted in some....interesting explanations at times.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The whole Kiss Players / RiD / G1 connection was rather tenuous, yes. Especially the retcon that made Primus the same as Vector Sigma.

The only continuity that can rival the Japanese G1 would be the UK comic continuity. 323 issues reprinting both all 80 issues of the US series and the minis, annuals through to 1992, plus large amounts of original material throughout the run, it probably eclipses even the print canon of the Japanese manga. Too bad it doesn't fit with the cartoon or it would very much be a contender.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The Japanese continuity is much larger because it contains a bunch of continuities viewed as separate in the american continuity. If you want to include all the american G1 sub-continuities through the comics, though, it might get bigger in terms of material.

8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Yeah but before Takara decided to merge everything, it was still bigger. Let's just take FSRL to Operation Combination and don't forget the Manga too. In Japan, the Manga was part of the series unlike in the US and UK where the comics were separate from the cartoons.

9. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. And for me, the official one.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

You think G1 is gone?!

:p 

To be fair, I think it was to the comics' credit that they were seperate from the cartoon. Some of the stuff that went on in print could never have been shown on screen.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The Victory manga begs to differ!

12. johnboy3434

Err... how is it more or less official than any other continuity? That said, I can see it somehow being the most "definitive" continuity. It covers a solid majority of the franchise's lifespan, showcasing just about all the characters and gimmicks that the toyline has gone through.

13. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

Japanese G1 (form Headmasters to Zone) is big enough, but true G1 continuity here is Headmasters only. Other series is too AU, too independent from G1, retconned, especially Masterforce.

14. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not saying it's more or less official than any other source. It's just the official continuity I follow.

15. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Okay, I've seen a few people mention it, but this is the first I've heard it, that RID was somehow attempted to be connected to G1?

I'm sure it's a terrible after the fact connection haha, but could someone explain to me just what it was?

16. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

I forget which, but one of the RiD Predacons mentioned Vehicon drones once.

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was done in a huge timeline published by Takara in 2007. They exploited the ending of a manga called "The Stargate Battles", which was published in 2003 and set in the late 1990s, which ended with all the Transformers on Earth being caught in a huge space battle that resulted in them all burning up as they fell through Earth's atmosphere. Although the manga made it clear they were eventually all right, it noted that they were missing in action and unheard of for some time. "Robots in Disguise" - or "Car Robots", to be specific - takes place in 2000, so the basic complete absence of Transformers on Earth after this manga allowed the events of the RiD cartoon to slip into the timeline in 2000 without any major opposition. The RiD characters were presented - as was originally stated in a Japanese toy pack-in leafleft - as being from another time and/or dimension, explaining where they came from.

The Kiss Players storyline, also set in the G1 continuity, also gave an origin to RiD's Fortress Maximus, explaining that he had been created by Primus to guard the Earth after Unicron's lifeforce was sealed within it (in turn setting up the events of Beast Wars II).

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, if by "continuity", we include everything from season 1 to the Zone OVA plus the manga and story pages for Zone, Battlestars and Operation Combination...I still think the Marvel UK continuity gives it a run for it's money. Sure, the Japanese continuity lasted longer, but a bunch of story pages is hardly enough to match in content. Not to mention the amount of mythology the UK comic run contributed to the G1 mythology!

And no, nothing made after the beginning of G2 counts. Meaning Takara can take their weirdass retcon with Binaltech and Kiss Players and whatever and shove it.

19. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But it's not all retcon. G2, BW and it's Japanese spinoffs were always treated as part of the G1 cartoon continuity in Japan.

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Yeah well, I'm only going by denominations here; I mean, G2 is a continuation of G1 in the west just as much, but no one calls it G1.