Is the IDW series worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ezim93, Dec 30, 2010.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been trying to get into comic books and I've been wondering if IDW's run on Transfromers is worth it? I've only read Megatron's Origin and it was alright but I want to know what the fandom generally has to say about it before I jump into it. Thanks.

2. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Some stuff is really good, some is pretty shit.
    My main love is the G1 based stuff.
    Prior to All hail Megatron I loved it all. Megatron Origin (which is ok) was probably the most boring of that era, but the other stuff was great: Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Devestation, Revelation, Maximum Dinobots and most of the spotlights.

From All hail Megatron and forward its been hit and miss.
    Last stand of the Wreckers is awesome, the Bumblebee miniseries sucked ass, most of the other stuff fall somewhere in between.

That is of course only G1 based stuff. I don't really enjoy the movie comics but Reign of Starscream and Defiance was pretty good.
    The Beast era stuff was meh. Hearts of Steel was pretty shit (except the design of the transformers which was pretty sweet).

3. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I pretty much agree with what Obsidian Said, except I really liked All Hail Megatron, The G1 Mini series: Last Stand Of The Wreckers, Ironhide, Drift are really good, Bumblebee is not great.

Ongoing is decent at the start terrible in the middle but getting better ATM.

Transformers Prime Graphic novel is great.

I dont read movie stuff, so i dont know if it is good

4. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Last stand of the wreckers and Stormbringer are the only 2 must read from the IDW line up. The idw UK reprints are not too bad either

Do read the marvel stuff too, matrix quest, primal scream ,all fall down, end of the road, these 4 tpbs are awesome

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I thought the BB mini-series was pretty good, actually. It may not have a lot of action, but it was a good read.

6. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Ive loved it ALL. From megatron origins to the ongoing now ^^.

Even if you dont like it personally, the writing/illustrating quality is the likes of which never seen before, imo.

7. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read most of the movie stuff; Defiance, Alliance, The Reign of Starscream and Tales of the Fallen. I'm hoping to read the Sector Seven comics and the Dark of the Moon prequel comics. They look pretty good.
    I'll admit, all of the stuff that I've read is pretty good, but some/ most of the art work in Tales of the Fallen and Defiance is kinda crappy, if you care about that sort of thing. I've read only a few pages of All Hail Megatron in the Titan comics, and they seem pretty good from what I can tell. Ongoing looks pretty interesting too. Of all the ones I have read, Reign of Starscream is probably the best for me.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sums it up pretty well, except that I think Megatron: Origins only seems "okay" compared to the shit IDW puts out now. On it's own it's below average, if not just bad.

9. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm kinda working my way into it as well, and so far, Stormbringer, Last Stand of the Wreckers, and All Hail Megatron I have loved. I've got a shitload more on the way, but overall, I've enjoyed the IDW stuff.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, it's worth it. Lots of good stories, some not so good - pretty much like all franchise comics/tv shows etc.

11. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, there are maybe two good GNs in the whole run. That's why there has been such a mixture of apathy & hatred directed at IDW on this very forum. Simon's run was ok, but poorly executed and never finished. Easily his worst work, despite the odd brilliant idea. He clearly did not have a decent editor to channel his ideas into a decent story beyond the initial two arcs.

AHM started off good, but the continuity from Simon's unfinished run was shoved into the story in such a jarring way that it becomes damn near impossible to enjoy AHM without the need to go buy every previous series just to know what's going on. Which flew in the face of the much advertised "reboot" from Simon's poor-selling run. (Sales of Simon's run are the reason that his run ended so quickly. Even die-hard fans stopped buying the comics.)

The main movie comics are unreadable. Again, lots of decent ideas, poorly executed.

It's sad that IDW has had no clear vision of where to take this franchise after having backed themselves into a creative corner twice and needing to reboot their series. It's even sadder when you see how good they have handled GI Joe, specifically the Cobra series, which ranks among the top comics on the market today.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Last Stand of the Wreckers is certainly worth it. And I really liked the original "-ation" series up until it just ended, never really finished it just stopped with Revelations.

13. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this. Everything pre All Hail Megatron was awesome. All Hail Megatron itself IMO was alright, but definitely had it's faults. Last Stand of the Wreckers was pretty much up to par with the pre AHM stuff. The Drift mini was actually half decent. The ongoing has been pretty pathetic IMO, and the absolute worst so far was the Bumblebee mini. Everything else was ok, but not spectacular. Basically IDWs stuff has been going down hill with a few small exceptions here and there.

14. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the Spotlights are pretty good, looking forward to them coming back.

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron was enjoyable but as has been said was badly affected by the ambiguity over whether Furman would get to finish his run. The Moonbase 2 interview with Shane McCarthy is quite revealing in that he addresses one of the big quibbles of tf fans over AHM, regarding it fitting into what came before. Essentially he was told to start writing his take on the transformers for IDW as at the end of Devastation, but was also instructed to leave alone anything that Furman may intend to use in Revelation/Expansion (the first of whi h was on shaky grounds regarding being produced, and the second of which never came to pass). This is why at the start of AHM it opens with "One year later". This is also why characters like Sixshot, Hardhead, Nightbeat, Jetfire, Ultra Magnus and the Dinobots among other previously prominent characters don't appear. This is also why about halfway through AHM, by which point Furman had been told to wrap up all of his plans for his series in the last two issues of Revelation (Spotlights Sideswiped and Doubledealer) that all the story elements from that began to be shoehorned into AHM

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Last Stand of the Wreckers, yes.

Everything else. :lolol  :lolol  :lolol  :lolol  NO!

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Dude, Spotlight Kup is a must though.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yeah that is second best.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. I canceled my subscription to all things IDW. It sure seemed like they were off to a good start, but they've botched everything to the point where I no longer derive any enjoyment from it. I'll tell you what, keeping that $4 in my wallet every month makes me happier than reading the latest, brain numbing issue in their ongoing series. If you're looking to check into back issues, then by all means, do so as there were some good mini-series early on. If you're looking to jumping onboard with the G1 ongoing series, don't bother. Save your money.

20. KhaN

KhaN Well-Known Member

Ebay:

This.

If your a transformers fan then by a trade or two. More TF stories are a good thing.