Is the Headmasters series any good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Chaddicus, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

So I'm contimplating on buying a set of the Headmasters dvd set off Evilbay. It's cheap, but I need to know what I'm getting into. I know we have some experts on here and thought I'd like to hear your honest opinions.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    It's corny and full of Japanese stereotypes (such as Arcee being demoted from a matronly protector to a secretary), but people still claim it's good because it features the characters they remember

3. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I personally had a hard time going through the series. Some episodes are long-winded and stretched-out, while others are good. All in all it was an okay series, but not awesome.

On the other hand, Masterforce and Victory were superb.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you like corny 1980s era anime and would get a kick out of seeing G1 cartoon characters animated one last time, then you'll probably dig the series.

5. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters
    Positives: Familiar G1 characters, A mildly interesting begining with Cybertron under attack
    Negatives: it's mostly bland, very repetative, and often quite dull. None of the characters have much (any) personality or character at all.

Masterforce is MUCH, Much better. Full of interesting and fun characters and a much faster more fun plot.

Victory I havn't seen enough of yet to judge.

6. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Headmasters Inferior, Masterforce Superior.

No seriously, HM is painful to watch. Cyclonus and Scourge get demoted to goofy comic relief, Wheelie and Daniel become MORE annoying, Arcee becomes a secretary... it's easily the worst of the three series.

7. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I had a hard time sitting through a lot of Headmasters. It started great. The concept was better then the G1 Rebirth eps. But the characters were very bland like other have said and certain characters are completely different then before. What happens to some key characters is VERY hard to swallow and the action is downright corny is some episodes.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Headmasters is okay, mostly to see more of these characters in action, but as a whole it is pretty weak. Worth watching some episodes of but not worth marathoning the whole series.

Masterforce is better. Victory, I've not watched properly to form a proper judgment but I dislike how goofy the Decepticons were in that too.

9. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

AS goofy as some of the Decepticons were in Victory (Dinoforce I'm looking at YOU!!!), it was leagues better then Headmasters. Toward the end it started getting a bit repetitive though as the series was winding down and they needed to stretch the cartoon to last 5 of 6 more episodes. Star Saber rocks as an Autobot commander and Dezarus is a VERY wicked Decepticon leader. The rest of the characters seemed very cardboard but that seems to be a staple of Japanese Transformers cartoons.

10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It's a hell of a lot better than G1 Season 2 or the Unicron trilogy.

Go to TFCog where the fans have dubbed the first 5 episodes, adding the G1 music. They do Soundwave's voice nicely.

Alternatively download the G1 music from the same site to your MP3 player, turn down the sound of your telly and watch with subtitles. I've done this with Victory and the G1 music is great with it and it's nice adding tracks when you feel like it.

It's a shame it was never redubbed by the old G1 crew as it is enjoyable. It's nice to see the likes of Pointblank get some screen time. It's better animated than most of the US G1 cartoon.

I will admit Wheelie and Daniel can be grating and it is a shame to see Cyclonus and Scourge reduced to comic relief.

At least you can watch the first 5 episodes for nothing and they're nicely dubbed. Same site has 26 episodes of Victory redubbed. The guy who does Hellbat's voice is awful though.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's entertaining if you still watch them with the same attitude as you watched the old G1 cartoons (I am presuming you saw them as a child). They are an entertaining, fun set of episodes, and you get to see a bunch of characters and toys you had when you were younger. However, if you are one of those people who tend to use adult-logic on 80s childrens cartoons, skip it, you will be disappointed. I thought it was good for what its worth

12. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I couldn't endure to watch an entire episode of Headmasters. It's painful.

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    You're right, the American G1 cartoon is similarly embarrassing to watch as an adult. But there's also cultural differences which make Headmasters even more pitiful than G1.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I thought it far better than anything the Sunbow cartoon could come up with.

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    See I still watch G1 and enjoy it very much. Season 3 is my favorite, followed by Season 1, with Season 2 being bottom of the pile. But Headmasters was just not up to par with the first three seasons. Not remotely. It very much suffered from the anime series schtick where older characters who used to be fearsome opponents had become laughable and the newer the character the more powerful they were. Victory and Masterforce had this issue, but to a much lesser extent.

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed it, but I do agree with you that Scourge and Cyclonus and Trypticon are reduced to basically the three stooges.

17. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

I very recently finished watching the TVNihon subs, and I mostly enjoyed it, though I too disliked how the remaining G1 Cons were handled. Sixshot and Chromedome are awesome though.

And I agree that Masterforce and Victory are far superior, though Headmasters was still better than about half of G1 and lightyears ahead of Rebirth.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I think there's sort of a fundamental disconnect for US audiences for a Transformers show without Optimus Prime. The iconography is so powerful for us that it's really not the same without him. As such, watching these cartoons were enjoyable but only so far as my overall nostalgia for Transformers would allow.

19. Kaje

Kaje Well-Known Member

Are you counting Primal as Prime?

20. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'd rank headmasters pretty high. it's just a awesome series.

things that are weird is the BW to BM personas that were radically different. in headmasters galvatron is very smart & sane. cyclonus in headmasters has been reduced to a incompetent & weak robot. scourge is more dumb & more weak that his season 3 persona. headmasters galvatron & the others mock cyclonus & scourge for being dumb,weak & useless.