Is the economy curtailing new Hasbro products?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JohnRedcorn, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all the people complaining about lack of additional figures and the release of smaller figures, do you think Hasbro's cautious production of new toys is due to the state of the world economy?

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, not with the basic stuff they always release. But it might affect imports, such as the next MP or Jetwing Prime.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    We've had plenty of new figures, and size/engineering downgrades are because the things have been to damn complicated the past few years.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with Unicron. I think we would see some combiners at the very least if it wasn't for the economy. I know Hasbro hears us.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    There's certainly a rush of more affordable pocket sized figures in the legion\legends department for sure.

More than often nowadays there's a new version of a popular character one size down rather than one size up. And with all the interactivity between those bases\ships and all, coupled with the upcoming Prime legion stuff, I think hasbro's aiming at that pricepoint.

There's hardly an engineering downgrade in DOTM. People are blowing it up beyond all proportions due to that crappy voyager Prime figure. Sure, they're trying "simpler" for figures such as Starscream, Sideswipe, Ratchet and all [repeat performances] but the original figures for the line are as good as most ROTF stuff. Just smaller because a lot of the budget apparently goes to their mechtech weapons.

As for specialized imports [re: Masterpiece line], I don't think it'll affect it that much. Figures become more complicated, maybe shrink down a bit [truthfully, the only ones that stand out are Prime and Megatron. The rest are more or less at the same size] but prices go up partly because they are collector's items. They're meant for people with that sort of disposable income. Look at bandai's Soul of Chogokin line. It's the exact same thing. Their releases have spaced out, have shrunk down, cut back on the die-cast metal AND keep a consistent raise in the neighbourhood of 20-25 thousand yen.

6. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I am not mistaken, the DOTM line is going expire around January and it does not seem they are going to be releasing new figures/molds from the movie. IIRC, ROTF had a longer lifespan and more offerings from the movie-verse.

7. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Im sure DOTM will evolve into another movie type line much like ROTF did with HFTD.

8. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Economy is what makes the world go round. And TF in its small radius of Bayformer

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Walmarts are overflowing with DOTM toys. Typical movie overordering followed by underordering of the later waves.

10. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

That has more to do with the fact that there was a lack of Transformers media in between ROTF and DOTM. In contrast, now we have Prime taking DOTM's slot of focus.

11. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    I, for one, would welcome a more limited release schedule. I need some time to focus on making my G1 Collection not suck.

12. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    YES! The deluxe line for example is smaller and less detailed than ROTF. Take a look at "Leader" Ironhide, then dust off your Leader Prime and Starscream and look at how much better they are. It's just what they have to do right now. But there will always be the repaints, we might have to wait for them is all.

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    DOTM is also the last movie, and we have Generations and Prime running alongside it or on their way. DOTM will probably evolve into a subline IE HFTD/AllsparkPower.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at Sentinel Prime compared to Leader Prime, though.

Leader Ironhide's simplicity has nothing to do with reeling in costs. It just happens that they aimed for a more gimmicky figure, rather than a super-detailed ones.

The loss of size for the Deluxes also doesn't have much do with curtailing costs. It's simply that they have to lose some mass to make room in the budget for the bulky Mech-Tech weapons. Deluxes will go back up to normal size for the next iteration of Classics/Generations and for Prime.

15. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    True about Sentinel, He is the "Money Shot" figure for DOTM. But with many Deluxe figs there's a lot of paint app and other detail (like the nice plastic head and tail lights that came on many figures) that is not up to par from the previous stuff, I don't believe the Mechtech guns cost that much. They are holding the price point to ROTF which is good, but that just proves my point. Small figures are going to cost less to make, also less to ship, less packaging, ect...

I look at a lot of the deluxes and just don't find them as nice as the DOTM stuff. I have only found 2 deluxes I wanted, I will say the 10$ HA line is great, a lot of great figures there. Again they are a lower price point - to sell in a poor economy - we wont see all the bigger HA product like we had in ROTF.

16. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

All the movies lines are clogging the pegs, DOTM, Thor, Green Latern, and Captain America.

17. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We all love Transformers, which is why we are here. But if you look at other non Transformers related websites from time to time e.g. Bloomberg, there may not even be a Hasbro 2 3 years from now since the financial disaster of our time is just round the corner and the last 3 days are just its opening act. I expect within 2 years time, unemployment in the US alone will be close to 30 40 percent and you can pretty much say bye bye to the European Union.

I expect a lot of huhs from the people in this board, but it's really time to transform and roll out ;) 

18. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxes do look simpler, smaller, and cheaper.

I don't actively collect movie verse figures... but the DOTM Voyagers Skyhammer and Shockwave got me interested... But the Deluxe DOTM figures really turned me off to the idea.

My brother grabbed a doofy deluxe "Sumo" BB, and I grabbed a deluxe Ratchet.

I got a cheap TFTM BB recently... and a ROTF Lockdown. Both Deluxes... and made to the DOTM BB/Ratchet pale compared to them. The older figures are quite a bit more detailed, larger, and far more well-balanced.

"Sumo" Bee is horribly disappointing. Fails to look much like his movie counterpart, and the limbs are just soooo awkard looking.

DOTM Ratchet isn't so bad... Very posable figure... but his simple transformation and diminutive stature is a major letdown. Oh, his backpack annoys me... pops off all the time. But man... I really wish DOTM Deluxe Ratchet were at least an inch taller.

Either the economy is kicking them in the arse... or they're choosing to be cheaper with what they call "Deluxe" now.

19. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer my Leader Ironhide to Prime and Starscream if only for his aesthetic and playability.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    To each, his own - Leader Ironhide is a good toy, the head sculpt is perfect.
    Overall though he seems geared more toward kid toy than something "adult collectable"