Is the Classic Transformers Comic good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by bennydeckersac, Nov 24, 2011.

1. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, "good" is in the eye of the reader. I am debating whether or not to pick up the current series of Classic Transformers comic reprints from IDW.

I started out reading LSOTW (really like Roche's art style) and followed up with the IDW collections. Through trades I am currently up to Chaos Theory (Ongoing Vol 5). Although the art style has varied a great deal, I have enjoyed most of it (I thought the art in the Bumblebee mini was... interesting). I picked up a titan reprint of "Target 2006" for a few bucks at Ollie's to get a feel for the "classic style". The story seemed ok, but the art made it hard for me to stay interested. I think I am spoiled by all the detail of the modern art.

So my question(s): Is the classic series good? Are the stories worth reading even if the art is not my style? [Side question: Is the classic UK series worth picking up too?]

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm heavily biased, but I would have to say that the UK series is bloody good and worth getting :D 

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yes, Simon Furman's classic TF stuff is worth it both US and UK. Still, some of my all-time favorite comics. Budiansky had some good story arcs too though his work is more hit or miss.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm currently reading the 1st book from the US and UK series and I think it's a must. If you're a fan of comics and Transformers it's just so cool to go back and see how it all began.

5. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Yes, they are very good. This original universe is what has given you these new modern comics, though I can understand that is hard to get used to less detailed retro art in comparison to modern styles. I will say that anything drawn Wildman and Geoff Senior is gold. There are lots of other great G1 artists, but there are some duds as well.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely. For me, the Marvel (US & UK) saga is THE definitive Transformers tale. You might find the art a little off-putting, but the stories will soon engross you.

7. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Alot of the UK stuff is kinda lacking artwise, unless you're into watercolors.

Ther story is ok, but it would help if you read the US Marvel stuff as well, since some of the stories somewhat interconnect. After a while , the time jumping Galvatron thing is a little redundant though.

If you want really great artwork as well as a decent storyline try tracking down the DreamWave comics. The art is superior to almost anything I've seen before or since, and the story really had alot of heart (Prowl, Ironhide).
    Just when it was about to climax, they cancelled the series.....

He's asking about comics, not Pat Lee and his BS, so let's not take it that route

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Parts of it are good, parts of it are awful, parts of it are hilariously cheesy.

But when its good, its some of the best transformers stories that have ever been made, its some of the deepest and more engaging characters we've seen, and it's the start of some of the most enduring concepts around today in the franchise.

It's definitely worth checking out, though maybe see if your local library has a copy if you're reluctant to pull the trigger on the TPBs.

9. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    You should definetly get tf classics volume one (us) and it wether you get te UK volumes is up to how much money your willing to spend

10. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I actually prefer the classics UK stuff. I like the america stuff, but in the classics books a lot of it has been chopped up because of some copy right issue with marvel.

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    yes but recent releases have had marvel comcs in them

12. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I think the classic stuff is enjoyable, but not amazing. It introduced a lot of neat concepts that helped expand the Tf universe beyond what the G1 cartoon was doing, but to me, it was seriously lacking in some respects, particularly the fight scenes. When I read them I couldn't help thinking that too many of the fight scenes went something like this:

Character X: "I'll get you with my blah-blah-sonic-ultra-pulverizer-blah-blah-ray!!!" PEEWWWW

Character Y: "Oh yeah, well I'll just use my super-blah-blah-atomizer-pulverizer-blah-blah" ZHEOWW

Character X: "ARRRRGH NOOOO!!!"

They're just silly and in most cases, I just wanted them to be over as quickly as possible. They pretty much had as much emotional impact as a play fight staged by a 7 year old holding a toy Autobot in one hand and a Decepticon in the other complete with PEW PEW noises. Just about the only time they were interesting to me was when the result of a fight steered the course of the story or future stories IE. a death or injury that put a character out of commission for some length of time and forced the other characters to respond to that resulting situation.

The art can also be pretty off-putting, especially if you're accustomed to newer TF stuff. Some of it- such as the coloring- is more a product of the times since they had limited ways/budgets/colors they could use (In other words, no Photoshop), though the UK stuff seems to have better coloring.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The classic material comprises the definitive G1 saga. You're sorely missing out if you give it a pass.

14. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ill be the first to say that that the classics don't hold up to today's standards for new readers

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm not an art snob, in that I actually prefer the older, simplistic style. Besides, Geoff Senior draws the best Transformers I have ever seen. Ever.
    I'm not a fan of the newer style where you can hardly tell one robot from another half the time (LSOTW!!!) or what they are supposed to be doing in that frame. Another significant advantage of the 80's material is that it is far more dialogue heavy. In the newer stuff there seems to be endless pages where there is just pointless pictures of a robot's eyes or an explosion.
    One single page of the old Marvel stories can move the story on a huge amount. Overall, I don't not enjoy the newer IDW productions, but I just find them a little tiresome with, seemingly, too much that just gets in the way of telling a damn good story. You are missing out in a big way if you don't at least give the 80's Marvel stuff a try. The US/Budiansky material can be a bit childish and even silly at times, but the UK/Furman stories are pure gold. Well, most of them... :D 

16. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

This thread can end now:)  Senior never seems to get the love he deserves. It is between him and Don as my fav all time artist, would love to see him do some more TF work.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say, but I've highlighted this in particular. Newer comics have such padded out storylines because the writers are always working toward the inevitable TPB collected edition.

2000s Furman took six issues to string out (e.g.) Infiltration.
    1980s Furman would've taken two issues, and it would've been all the more enjoyable for it.

Pacing is the main problem with most newer stories and something the classics mastered beautifully.

18. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    True. I do like the way the new ones are aced but i wish each comic was like three times as big (so about 60 pages)

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would say that, at its best, it does hold it up, but that's mainly closer to the end, which means it could be a hard place for people to jump in and start, though people familiar with the characters might have less trouble.

You're right though, there's a lot of stuff that would seem dated to comic readers today. For kids though, maybe not!