Is the botcon 2005 set that bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by wheeljack01, Apr 28, 2008.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I didn't go to botcon that year so I didnt get a set and had other things to buy so I passed it up, but I see that set all over ebay for prices not too far off from the actual convention price. I hardly ever see the 2006 set and we all know about the 2007 set ,but why is this so easy to get? Was it over produced or was it just not desireable? I kinda get the feeling a little of both. I have been thinking of picking one up..heck, even the collectors club has them for cheap(well compared to the 2006 and up sets) What is everyones opinions on these sets? Thanks in advance!

2. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was thinking about that to it looks like a cool set but its not hard to get at all like the sets after it

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i dont have it, but i really want it...i think it was the fact that it was their first year, as well as a story thats a little more off the wall then then 06, 07, or 08 set...and they weren't overproduced either. it was limited to 750 sets, same as 06...and less then 07 and 08...

4. wheeljack01

Its not overproduced? Wow..they have them on special on the club website and one dude has like twenty alone on his ebay page for $329(i think)BIN. Weird....looks like a cool set. Awesome to see deathasaurus in the U.S.

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    The only one I have from that set is Ironhide, he was the only "must have" for me, along with Ratchet, from that year as an add on, not in the regular set.

6. wheeljack01

Yeah and ratchet last I saw was going for what the boxset is worth.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I always wondered why people were so disinterested in Deathsaurus. I think it's pretty awesome. I plan on getting it eventually, when I can afford it. I just wish they'd make a Star Saber to go with it.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the main issue people have with Deathsaurus is he just doesn't look that different from the RiD Mega/Gigatron source material.

9. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know why others don't like it. I love my Deathsaurus, Ironhide, Ricochet, etc. All of the toys in the set are really great, especially Ironhide.

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Previously, the most desired figure in the boxset was Ironhide, as there was no modern, articulated incarnation of his G1 animation model. Several other figures in the set were not particularly desirable.

Now, the Universe 2.0 Ironhide may pose even more of an impediment to demand of the set, as it will be much cheaper and better-proportioned.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I was all over the set once I saw Deathsaurus, but it helps that I really like the Devil Gigatron mold. Ironhide and the others were just pluses in my book.

I think it's mostly that there was a lack of "Big name" characters and a weak storyline, as well as some backlash due to the duplicate figures just make it less desirable to the general fandom that the more recent sets offered.

12. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basketball Jones, you have a good point, but I'm looking forward to having both Ironhides. One will be in my Energon collection and the other in my Classic collection.

13. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

That's great- note that many of the fans do not divide up their collection into separate sets/continuities, however.

The fact that these figures are the only articulated (or perhaps the only headed) incarnations of the G1 forms for these characters is a huge boost for their popularity. The limitations of the Towline mold will be made even more clear upon release of Universe 2.0 Ironhide, and the potential Ratchet repaint (although he may be a Botcon exclusive, in which prices will fall by a much smaller extent).

I'd recommend selling one's 2005 Ironhide before 2009 if they are concerned with their collection's value, although there are many better things to be concerned about.

14. wheeljack01

I agree on deathasaurus looking too much like gigatron. Seems like the head and a little bit of color is the only difference. Of the molds in there Im not a huge fan of the buzzclaw mold and theres two of him in there, granted I think the boxset colors are better than the orginals. I love the cyberjets redeco and think fallout(outback) looks cool as well.

15. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FP approached doing Botcon in a different manner than what most of us who had been attending the convention were used to. I know I was a little shocked to see the price of the box set, but considering what we got it wasn't that bad.

While not a huge fan of some of the molds they chose (and the multiple repaints of the Arcee mold) it is probably my least favorite set of the 4. That said, I'm still glad I own it and don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been a supporter of the 2005 set since the beginning, but I still dont own it because I've yet to afford it. It's a lot easier to get than the 2007 set, but I have slightly more motivation for that (I got Weirdwolf, at least).

I wish his head looked more birdlike, like it did in the anime, but having to fit into his chest sort of made it impossible. However, I still think the color scheme they chose looks pretty enough.

17. wheeljack01

I like that they put the exclusive(well, the main part of them) in a nice boxset that you could take out when ever you like and not affect the interior of the package. I didnt like the way the past botcon figures were boxed like apelinq and the car robot sisters. I did love the design of the cyclonus box though. Heck we need to have a botcon exclusives appreciation thread with lots of pics!

18. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    So basically what everybody is saying is that no, it was not that bad.

It just wasn't that good.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I think the reason is because the characters didn't really fit together well. If they were going to do Deathsaurus, it would have made more sense to do a Victory theme to the whole set. Instead it was kind of a mix of a bunch of random ideas.

20. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I got the bagged set finally at Botcon this year. Out of the 4 years, the are my least favorite, but they are still nice. Now to trackdown Flamewar and the souvenirs for cheap....