Is the Battery Acid gonna leak out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fifam94, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

I've got a MISB Leader Starscream which I plan to keep sealed for say the next. . . 69 years or so. I'm just wondering about the batteries. I fear that if I leave them in there, they'll leak, and cause some damage to the figure. I can't take them out because well, then it wouldn't be MISB anymore. What do I doooo??

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I had the same dilemma with my MISB Masterpiece Convoy. I took it out for the first time after 7 years, and there was a little bit of battery corrosion, not a lot, but enough that i had to do a little cleaning inside the matrix box. That's sadly the reality of battery operated Transformers :p 

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

They will leak, but can be cleaned up rather easily if you actually do open the toy someday. I had this same problem with a loose pair of RID Optimus and Ultra Magnus - the batteries hadn't been swapped since they were bought by the original owner. A wire brush and some contact cleaner helped remedy that, though - even got them working again. No permanent damage to either figure.

4. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

You'll have to take the figure out and remove the batteries. I left batteries in my RiD Optimus and Ultra Magnus since getting them back in 2001, and one day I had a lovely little mess of battery acid to clean out in the battery compartment...:redface2:  Now they won't even work anymore...:banghead: 

Besides, the toy won't be any more valuable 6 million years from now, never mind 69. Break him free... You know you want to.:tongue: 

Maybe some of them wire brushes and contact cleaner will do some good... I never heard of that sort of stuff. (especially the latter)

5. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

It's not so much about monetary value to me, as it is about sentimental value (maybe this type of value wil. . . BETRAY ME one day :p )
    I've already got two more that are open and proudly displayed on my bookshelf. It's one of my most favorite molds! I plan on keeping this one sealed because i'm gonna have a Raptor Pilot & Crew sign it for me.

6. DBarricade

Fine, but you can't keep it sealed because the batteries WILL leak eventually.

7. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Maybe you're right. Oh the decisions. . .

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Again, the battery will leak, but odds are good that it won't damage the figure.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you never intend to open it, it's not your problem if/when the batteries leak.

10. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Well, I intend this one to be forever boxed. . . So to hell with it, leak or non, he will remain imprisoned.

11. AdvoKat

AdvoKat New Member

Isopropanol is your friend.

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I forget that, working with electronics, I have access to some less-common tools and substances. Sorry. :lol 

13. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I removed the batteries on some of my figures and put them back in the box as original as I can.

Right now I have the DOTM Ultimate Optimus Prime and the ROTF Devastator unopen with the batteries still inside. I don't want to open both, but sooner or later I will have to.

14. DBarricade

Well I'm a lot more careful with my toys that have electronics in 'em since RiD Optimus/Ultra Magnus, but I'd still like to be able to say that if I put batteries in them again they'll work good as new.

"Optimus Prime, MAXIMIZE!" and all.:lol 

On a slightly different note, just how long would it take for those little watch batteries to begin leaking? NOT looking forward to having to replace the batteries in Unicron or the ones in the Omega Lock...

15. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These threads keep coming up, and yes yes yes you will have battery corrosion/leakage eventually.

If you plan on keeping the toy itself in as mint/pristine condition as possible, you will have to forfeit it's MISB/MISC status. Sorry, it's unavoidable.

If you want to keep it MISB/MISC with intent to sell it, well like others have said the buyer takes responsibility if something is damaged from leaving the batteries in.

So those are your choices, remove batteries if you want to keep the toy itself in the best condition possible, leave as is if you intend to resell the item off it's misb/misc status somewhere down the line.

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    This.

There is no such thing as a non-leaking battery. Its just how long before it does.

17. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but thought I would show why I always take batteries out of figures. This pic is of the batteries from the box the matrix of leadership is in on masterpiece prime. I bought him recently. I assume these are the original batteries. The one on the left I didn't do anything with, that white was there when I pulled the batteries out. The right one, I scraped some of it off to show the difference.

Attached Files:

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Exactly.

Plumbers code to the rescue, once again.

19. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    This is one of the reasons I'm opening a lot of my older figures in storage, to make sure their batteries don't leak and to remove them before any issues pop up. I either place them back in box or in a zip lock bag with their accessories for later. A collector shouldnt be that upset I opened the items to save from acid damage.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What does Leader Starscream use anyway? If its watch/cell batteries there's a slight chance they might not leak, but chances are they will and it'll kill the electronics over time.

If it used AA batteries (IIRC it does?) and bear in mind that Hasbro uses cheap ass Powercell AA Batteries, if you leave them in I can pretty much guarantee 100% they'll leak, get a lot more acid everywhere and kill the figure.

Sure by opening it, it'll no longer be MISB, but remove it carefully, strip the batteries and reseal it and in the long run you know yours will be worth more than the ones that have fried themselves because they were kept 'MISB'.