Is The Batman series any good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheeljack01, Apr 3, 2006.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

As a huge fan of all the Bruce Timm dcu shows, I have held off watching this. As a batman fan I miss the old series but I now want to see any kind of quality batman show. I know it is absolutly nothing like batman:the animated series but the batman fan inside of me wants to see it anyway. I heard the first season is out on dvd for like $20, so I thought about picking it up. I have seen a little of the animation and I thought it looked pretty cool but the stories is what I am afraid of. Is it real kiddish or dumbed down? Any really great episodes so far? Any websites with The Batman info? Thanks in advance.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It has its moments. "The Batman" is very kiddish compared to anything in the DCAU, but it has a lot of fun parts. And the character designs are fairly cool.

Except the Cluemaster. That redesign should be destroyed and forgotten.

3. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

That show killed off Justice League. I'll never watch it.

4. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Did it really?

5. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I didn't think it killed the jlu show but I know it helped take away the batman villans from the jlu show. I loved seeing the bat guys in the jlu shows again but there was a lot more villans to use, though it kind of sucked not seeing them in the legion of doom. I do think the batman character designs look ok, not the joker though.

6. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    It turned out to be a blessing in disguise that Batman's rogues gallery weren't in the Legion Of Doom though, considering what happened to most of the LOD in the finale. (I wonder if Timm and Co. did that as a jab to everyone who complained about the lack of Bat-villains in the Legion)

I liked how they did the origin of Clayface, it was no "Feat of Clay", but it was a step above the rest of the first season. Other than that, I wouldn't spend the $20, but I couldn't help comparing it to the Timmverse series and thinking what we got before was better.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, it's really hard not to compare this to the previous DCAU and that's probably the main thing hurting it. Other than kids who have just been exposed to Batman with Batman Begins, most of us are going to remember BTAS or at least Justice League. The Batman isn't inherently bad, and would probably get a better reception if it had debuted a few years later (after DCAU was thoroughly buried), but there's no way it can live up to the memory of BTAS. General comments about the show, IMO:

- Some of the villain revamps are decent, others are terrible. The new version of Clayface was handled well and the introduction episodes for that character were good. Joker, however, is a complete disaster and nothing like...well, basically any version of the Joker ever seen before and that's not necessarily good. It also doesn't help that the Joker shows up a lot and gets a little over-exposed. Sure, Joker was a frequent villain in BTAS, but not to this degree (he was in at least 3/13 episodes from the first season of The Batman).
    - Alfred's character is relatively the same, which is good.
    - The "Batwave" thing (screen icon that interacts with various toys) gets annoying.
    - There are some minor plot points that are a little stupid in some episodes (Bruce's pager has a big flashing Batwave logo and he looks at it openly in public, jail-bait Batgirl, Batman not using protective gloves/gear when working with blood in Batman vs Dracula, etc).
    - More than a few moments where the show does something just for the sake of trying to be cool (ie - the whole Gearhead episode). Batman is inherently cool, they don't need to go out of their way and do "OMG, BaTmaNz teh XTR3EM!!!!1!1!1!111!"
    - The maturity level is dropped down significantly from BTAS, in terms of dialogue, plots and character interactions.
    - Probably hangover from BTAS, but I just can't get used to yuppie Bruce Wayne.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You won't like it if you expect it to be even remotely like the previous animated shows or the comics. I resisted watching it too for some time. Now I love it. From a stylistic standpoint, I think it's awesome. Things I like about The Batman:

-Bruce Wayne acts less like he has the same personality as Batman.
    -I find the show more visually striking and less stylistically bland.
    -The fights are often more dynamic and are generally well choreographed.
    -The animation is top-notch for an American-produced animated TV series.
    -Despite taking the "cartoony" approach to design and concept, it's still generally well-written, with plenty of witty dialogue.

It's a very good show on its own merits, but I can see how it wouldn't go over well with a lot of people. I'd suggest trying to catch a few episodes on TV before buying it, if you can. If you do, keep in mind that not every episode is great, so give it a chance for at least a couple of episodes. That also might be a good idea just so you can get used to the show.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I thought that was there to introduce the second Batmobile toy.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    3 things have killed it for me,
    I watched it,
    The fact that it is responsible for killing JLU (They have said as much),
    The Characters look like ASS!!! F Rasta Joker!!!

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This show is "ok" at best to me. I really don't like the bare-foot Joker and the marilyn manson looking Riddler. And I can't stand this show's whiney Batgirl.

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

It's pretty watchable, IMO.

And the new Joker looks like he's on a acid trip.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I like it. The whole JLU thing kinda sucks, but I'm not going to take it out on a good show. It's not the show's creator's fault that Warner Bros. is a bunch of retards. We've known how crazy they are for years. It's not really a big surprise anymore.

Besides, from what I understand, JLU isn't the end of that animated DC universe. There's supposedly a Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes series in the works. I'm not 100% sure about it, it's just what I heard. I also heard there's going to be a "The Superman" series.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, forgot about the introduction of teh XTR3EM BatMobeelz!!1!1!!11!

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

The show is horrible. Completely a waste of airtime. I'd rather read a book than watch it

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I purchased the first season on DVD. Totally worth the $15.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I would not stop to take a leak on it if it was on fire.

And I am a HUGE Batman fan, so that should say how bad I think it is.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it is mearly Ok.. Nothing horrible, yet nothing superb either. Some points are good others are bad.

19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Ive tried watching it several times, but its extremely boring. The show is there to sell toys, but not in the good "80's Transformers/GI Joe" way. That Batman is very bland and could never live up to Kevin Conroy's Bats. I dont know if The Batman killed JLU but it was the reason why you never saw Batman villains on JLU after The Batman started. I dont care for the show one way or the other, I just wish JLU was back. :( 

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Compared to TAS, no, it's not. Compared to many other animated series, it's not too bad. Not quite on par with Titans, but I think it beats recent Transformer series.