IS the Avengers/JLA paperback worth picking up?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by AniProwl, Jan 18, 2011.

?

Yes or No?

1. Absolutely since it's awesome

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Nah, they're better comics out there

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Just wondering if it is.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's Kurt Busiek and George Perez writing a story where all of the Avengers and all of the Justice Leaguers appear at least once. If that alone doesn't sell you on it, let me assure you that it's a great read and does a fantastic job of utilizing the setting and history of both teams.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    This a small taste of just how awesome this book is. Also, unlike most crossovers, it's still canon.

Attached Files:

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah it's the greatest and last of the Marvel/Dc crossovers. You have a writer who has written both teams and an artist who has drawn both. Not to mention the artist has drawn some of the greatest crossovers ever and can cram more characters on a page than you can shake a stick at. Both teams are faithfully represented and scripted in character. Also if your a Green lantern fan this is where a certain shadowy bandaged character who is currently capturing lantern entities was also a major player. Plus Darkseid gets his hands on the infinity gauntlet.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yes

6. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Yeah, this one was actually pretty awesome. Anything drawn by George Perez is gold.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

George Perez is a master at his craft and one need not look any further than this series. My favorite part is towards the end when
    Captain America lends his shield and Thor lends Mjolnir to Superman. And it still isn't enough

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ....Sold. I HAVE to read this.

9. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I'd like to get this on TPB one of those days.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell yes. Best crossover ever. But don't hype up Darkseid's part. Just a cameo.....-_^

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

in the words of Stan Lee

Nuff said

12. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Nope. Old men doing comics aimed at old men.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    If by old men, you mean people who like good comics, then yes. Thanks for informing everyone that you do not like good comics.

14. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

I LOVE good comics.

I LOVE the JLA run that lead up to this point, it was the Gods Of Olympus JLA, the ones that had just faced down MAGEDDON the ancient GOD OF GODS by turning every person on Earth into a Superhero to face him down!

The Avengers title at this point wasn't as impressive, as a DC kid I saw the Avengers as kinda schlubs compared to the JLA, but even so, y'know... they were OK.

So you get a writer in and an artist in, who pretty much immediately slide the Silver Age version of each team into place to be the lead characters (Including king of Genocide and pedophillia Hal Jordan, who is LESS powerful in the story that Kyle, and Barry Allen, who again is LESS powerful than Wally)

The story looks to the esoteric past of both universes not the future, and as a modern comics reader, I just find the solution to be insane, and of course the absolute WORST part is that at the end Superman turns out to NOT be able to carry Mjolnir, but Odin's magic let him do it that once.

SUPERMAN ISN'T WORTHY OF MJOLNIR!?

It's a silver age stroke-fest of a type that is still popular now allowing Spider-Man making a deal with Satan and Batman taking time out to make lovingly designed certificates of Justice League America especially for his new team, that included Geo Force and Vixen.

GRRR! COMICS! STOP LOOKING BACKWARDS!

15. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

This got me thinking, what DC/Marvel/Whatever crossovers actually are canon?

Marvel Vs. DC
    Spider-Man and Batman
    Batman/Spawn
    Punisher/Archie
    Dr Who/Deaths head
    Stormwatch/Aliens
    WILDCATS/JLA
    Planetary/Batman (Possible?)
    Authority/Lobo (sadly)
    Batman/Hellboy/Starman
    GI Joe/Transformers
    New avengers/Transformers

I can't think of any more that had results that "counted" but I'm sure others could.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I think you might have taken the entire book the wrong way. I never got that feeling from any of it. I thought it was probably one of the best written crossovers ever made. The main reason Hal and Barry were there, was so the book would have every single member of the team in it at some point. I'm pretty sure the Swordsman showed up on the Avengers side, too.

Superman not being worthy of holding Mjolnir makes total sense. Keep in mind that the worthiness it talks about is that of a warrior. Superman is no warrior. Wonder Woman was able to pick it up in Marvel vs DC, because she has the qualities, and is a warrior.

I can't believe you actually compared this to One More Day. That's just stupid on every conceivable level.

I don't really know about most of those, but Marvel vs DC is no longer canon. At the very least, it stopped being canon after Infinite Crisis. JLA/Avengers is still canon, due to the cosmic egg being a major part of the Trinity series.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Part of the reason for the silver age team up is Perez. He actually drew 20 pages of a official cross over between the teams in the 80's. But the editors at the time got into an argument over who could beat whom and the crossover was canceled. Rob Liefield bought them when he got rich in the 90's and used to show them off at conventions. If you bought the oversized hardcover of the crossover it came with a book on the backstory and collected those 20 pages. So Buizek wrote that as homage. But really they tried to include every era of both teams. Perez wanted to draw this crossover really badly. He was under contract with Crossgen at the time. The only way he could leave(other than the company failing..heh heh) was if the crossover was okayed. He got word a day before there was no turning back from crossgen that the crossover was on. Which was good as it took another year or so for crossgen to fail.

18. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

I'd agree with you if the Silver-Age versions of the teams weren't the main groups followed in the series, which they were.

I flicked through my copy of the trade, and I have to say, and I'm fully aware this is heresey, but I didn't like the art, that's probably a part of it.

It just grinds my gears. SUPERMAN isn't WORTHY?

I wasn't talking storywise, OMD is the stupidest comic ever written, but I mean the baclwards looking "things were better when..." that's the dominant force in comics these days, writers resetting comics to the point THEY liked them best in stupid ways. I'll provide an OK, Bad and WTF! example of what I mean

JLA/Avengers used cosmic woo-rah, which is vaguely acceptable because that felt like a VERY Marvel Comics thing to do.

Green Lantern: Rebirth used an insanely evil Yellow fear monster that has never existed before and could fool God into giving it infinite power, but still let it's host resurrect his mate and reignite the sun.

OMD used Spider-Man making a deal with satan, which I think everyone agrees is *expletive deleted* nonsense.

Marvel Vs. DC: Access still exists, so the stories still happened AND he was in marvel Vs. DC (but who wasn't?)
    Spider-Man and Batman: The Joker remembers Spidey in Marvel Vs. DC
    Batman/Spawn: Still counts, at least for Spawn, because a batarang to the face is actually a story point in Spawn!
    Punisher/Archie: Both comics have referenced it at least once after
    Dr Who/Deaths head: lead into Fantastic Four and Deaths Head 2
    Stormwatch/Aliens: Happened, but all the characters came back to life
    WILDCATS/JLA: It's in the fancy JLA Hardbacks, it counts, but I wish it didn't
    Planetary/Batman (Possible?) the DCU Batman *is* in it and it counts for Planetary, even if they did forget it in the Absolute (DAMN YOU DC!)
    Authority/Lobo (sadly)
    Batman/Hellboy/Starman It's in the Starman Omnibuses, so it counts, and Hellboy is a crossover whore only beaten by Savage Dragon.

I used to pride myself on being able to conect characters through crossovers. Now I look back and am ashamed :( 
    GI Joe/Transformers
    New avengers/Transformers

19. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

What? Hal and Barry had been associated with the League far longer than the Silver Age lasted. They were also only in #3 and half of #4, a lot less than Kyle and Wally's appearances.

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ah wha...First, plenty of retcons like Parallax exist in the comic world. The Bronze Age Emerald Dawn is full of them when it expanded on the Silver Age origin of Hal. Secondly, Parallax didn't fool the DC God into giving it infinite power. The Spectre thought it could eradicate Parallax by bonding with the soul of Hal. Finally, Parallax didn't allow anything, resurrecting Ollie and reigniting the sun were moments that the real Hal was able to momentarily break free of Parallax's corruption.

On topic, I'll echo that JLa/Avengers is indeed awesome. It's a shrine to the rich histories of both teams. Definitely work the read.