Is the animation quality actually better in headmasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prisoner1138, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or am I just seeing(or rather not seeing) things? After watching the first few episodes I've noticed that there's no random color changing or half drawn characters and all the other stuff that plagued the original series, and overall while the style is a little different the characters actually move around a lot more with flying jumpkicks more complex transformations, etc.

Does the series continue to stay consistently better quality-wise?(not talking about story or anything like that).

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The series stays fairly consistent throughout. The thing is, Takara hired another company to do headmasters, and basically told them to use the same character models as were used in the first 3 seasons (2 seasons if you are Japanese).

3. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Ok, hiring another company definitely explains the quality improvement and why the overall style seems a little different(not by much).

I wonder what would have happened if Hasbro had bothered to do the same.

4. FreshDebesh

At that point, Transformers had been cancelled and Hasbro was trying to do quick few episodes to introduce the 4th year toys. It was the rushed 3 parter known as Rebirth. I personally would have liked to have seen things unfold with the Rebirth story arc even though alot of people in the fandom detest Rebirth as a whole. We would have gotten to see Prime become a powermaster and supposedly Starscream was to return and play a big role in season 4.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Takara hired another company? I thought Headmasters was done by Toei again, whereas Hasbro had shifted towards Akom in season 3 of the US show?

6. FreshDebesh

I don't remember where I read it, but yeah, I believe they had gotten someone else to do the animation besides Toei and let them use the already established character models. If you look at Rodimus Prime in the Headmasters series, he looks fairly different in the face then how he was drawn in season 3.

7. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    I know about season 4, it being cancelled, etc. I was referring to a "what it Hasbro didn't use that shitty company for season 3"

And yea, it's not just rodimus. A lot of the characters look a bit less blocky in some regards, proportions that seem slightly different, the humans also look a little different as well.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I was under the same impression.

9. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I've never seen these episodes or the Scramble City ones. Are there any sets available that will play on a Region 1 DVD player or do I just need to breakdown and buy a Region free player?

10. B-Fox

B-Fox Mahoro de MAMBO!

News Credits:
    Headmasters has consistency, yes, but also lifeless animation. The fight to the death between Blaster and Soundwave is a great example of this. Sure, Akom gave us some of the shittiest animation ever seen in Transformers (at the time), but the robots came off with tons of personality, even if that Dead End emoting with his arms while talking is colored like Hound,has an Autobot symbol, and is standing right next to Menasor.

Headmasters animation was the start of the Japanese trend of turning the Transformers into 'just robots'.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I cant agree with that. I think the Blaster/Soundwave battle to the death is one of the best Transformers cartoons I have seen, English or not. It was very touching seeing all of Soundwaves cassettes 'rescuing' his remains. The next episode then shows Blaster's cassettes all depressed and in mourning over his 'death'. Loved that part of the series. Twincast and Soundblaster were born a bit to quickly though.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Na, that didn't happen until Zone. Still, BW II and Neo had plenty of personality. Even Car Robots had some. It didn't really start until Energon.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I recall seeing bits in Headmasters where they would take a static image of a robot, then just move it across the screen as an easy way of making an action shot.

I hated the animation in Headmasters, it felt a lot less colourful, and thus less lively. I liked it when the colours werent a great deal more faint than before.

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The *fallout* was decent, perhaps, but I think B-Fox was referring to the utterly lifeless *fight itself*, which consists of Soundwave and Blaster standing utterly stock still and firing at each other from about five feet apart and missing, Soundwave punching through Blaster's chest, and then exploding for no apparent reason. And that's it.

(It is important that people who have not seen Headmasters realise how truly awful this fight is. There's a lot of hooting about it when people talk about the series because of what it *represents,* but the actual execution of the thing is WRETCHED.)

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If you're discussing "color changes" based on watching the Rhino DVD's, that would be from Rhino's "film mastering" department, which was really inept at correctly using the right version of film (sometimes the negative was used, hence Skywarp colors on Starscream, laser blasts disappearing, etc.)

Sloppy mistakes in season 3 was AKOM

16. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Using a negative won't result in Skywarp having the same colors as Starscream.

He'd be white and yellow if the negative were used.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Then it had to be color layers or something. There was a good thread here once showcasing the differences between the actual original episode and Rhino's DVD release, and there are errors that Rhino slipped in, such as Skywarp shown when Starscream is talking, etc.

18. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes and no. Instead of using the finished "broadcast masters" of the episodes - the ones that went out on TV and video and are the "true" versions of the episodes - they used the "production masters," because they offered a better picture quality. However, by their very nature, these production masters, contained several additional errors that were fixed for the finished, broadcast episodes.

However, make no mistake. There were *plenty* of stupid coloring and other animation errors in the finished broadcast masters of seasons 1 and 2. Rhino's versions just have more.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Are people in this thread confusing animation models with animation quality? IIRC some characters (particularly the Masters) used different, more toy-based animation models while the older characters were tweaked to be abit 'anime dynamic'.

20. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

toei made headmasters series and masterforce series too