Is the '86 movie accessible to the non-TF fan?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by col, May 11, 2011.

1. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    In your opinion, do you think the 1986 animated movie is accessible to the everyday person who's had no experience with Transformers before? What about those that have only seen the live action movies? It's obviously a fun movie to watch when you've seen the first two seasons (heck, even just the first season) of the G1 series, but I've been wondering if it's too out there for someone who doesn't really know much about the fiction.

2. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

As much as I love it, not really. Which is a good part of the reason why I think it flopped in the theater. It really only works if you have an attachment to seasons 1 & 2. I do know some people tho that enjoyed it after watching the live action movies, but they never watched seasons 1 or 2.

3. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nah I don't think so....I think if anything non-fans would prolly watch it for history purpose. After its just a cartoon to non-fans...

4. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

If I remember correctly, it was my first exposure to Transformers, and I thought it was the most kick ass thing I'd ever seen. I may have seen a G1 episode or two before that, but I can't remember. Oh, and this was around 2000. So, I'd say it was at least accessible to me, I don't know about other kids/people.

5. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    I'd imagine kids would be more open to it, though at the same time I've been surprised by what kids today like/don't like. The tougher sell would be people in their 20s or 30s, I'm guessing.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

No, I don't think so. Almost every person I know who isn't a Transformers geek views it with a mixture of derision and confusion. I watched it with a few friends a couple years ago (nerds, but not Transformers nerds) and they mostly went back and forth between laughing and wondering what the hell was going on. And of course marveling at the terrible names ("Is that guy's name really 'Kup'?").

You have to be a bit more invested in the mythos and the characters to enjoy it, I think. And to forgive it its flaws. :) 

7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I really don't think that there's much viewers would need to know that isn't explained in the movie. Waring alien robots, what's to know? I've watched it with my step son, and he didn't seem to have any trouble enjoying it.

8. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    It's hit & miss w/ TF fans & non-TF fans alike, so you can't go by that for this particular question. (Granted, a lot of the TF fans who don't like it just don't like that Op/ their favorite character dies at the beginning, but still...)

Since the bulk of the original main cast gets killed off & replaced in the opening, & Unicron was a curve ball to all of us, I think someone who didn't know anything could follow it just fine, if they wanted to. However, to enjoy it, they need to have some kind of affinity for robots or cartoons...

Hasbro was trying to draw in new consumers w/ the new cast, after all.

9. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Considering that most of the established characters are killed off and the movie focuses on the brand new ones, I'd say the movie is nothing if not accessible. The movie quickly establishes the tenets of the conflict- hell, the theme song does that. Lacking knowledge undercuts the punch that the many deaths would have to a fan, but that's an added weight and not necessary to follow the film.

Now, accessible though it may be, it's still not exactly high class cinema. If action toons, cheesy rock, and ham-fisted dialogue won't float their boat in the first place, you're not going to hold their interest no matter what.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty much my thoughts right here, I've gotta say.

For example, I don't remember if I knew who the characters were when I first saw it, but I do remember thinking that the scene where Megatron & company broke into the Autobot shuttle & killed everyone was a great cinematic piece anyway (I probably even had nightmares because of it), especially the part where Ironhide gets slagged. That's something that I'll never forget, and it really set the stage for who Megatron was & why Rodimus wanted to make him do more than eat scrap metal, even though I knew next to nothing about the characters or movie.

It actually wasn't until later on that I realized who those scrapped Autobots were, so the whole transitional element flew right over my head, but I still enjoyed it because I liked cars, I liked robots, and because I was a little kid.

11. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    What got me thinking about this was a few weeks ago, I got my hands on the live-action Masters of the Universe movie from the '80s (because there are so many live-action He-Man movies out there...? :gen069: ), and my wife watched it with me just to humor me. Lo and behold, she actually thought it was entertaining!

So it got me debating as to whether or not the TF movie would be just as fun. As people have said though, it's an action cartoon, meant for boys, with a lot of ham-fisted dialogue, where as the MOTU movie was live-action, had regular people and a present day setting to make it more relatable to the average movie-watcher. The same can be said for the live action TF movies where the focus is placed on Sam and the other human characters to help keep the non-fans in their seats.

12. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Dolph Lundgren He-Man?.....on second thought, if the person comes in expecting nothing (like everybody should do) they might be surprise...

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    If you have the tinest bit of exposure to the Transformers (you know who the truck guy is- and the tape cassette guy)- the movie should be fine. All of the main characters are introduced in the movie. The antagonist is introduced in the movie. The macguffin that's used to save the day is introduced in the movie. It's a fun, loud action cartoon meant to be accessable to casual fans.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

In the case of adults, I don't really know, but I can say that my two nephews both under 10 enjoyed it immensely with practically no knowledge of Transformers, and none at all of seasons 1 and 2.

15. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    My wife watched it and said it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.........

Watchable for non TF fans but they won't be droolling when Primes's music comes on!

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This is all true. Plus, the Movie is a million times more interesting to watch than any given episode of Season 1/2, so if they can't enjoy the movie, I wouldnt expect them to enjoy anything else from G1

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well I had been into Transformers since I was a kid, but I never saw any of the cartoons until early 2000's when I saw the '86 movie.

I didn't think much of all the characters dying since it happened constantly in the comics I grew up with :|