Is the 2001 RID Cartoon Any Good?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    That's a bit rich.

Obviously I can only vouch for the fansubbed versions, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Galaxy Force a lot more than I did Car Robots.

2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Is the RID01 cartoon any good?

I'd say it is, I watched the series three times on YouTube and I loved every bit of it.. Except it does suffer from having terrible human characters like most series. But there are some really interesting characters, some are even memorable today such as Scourge & Sky-Byte.
    Also would this series be consider an anime? I kind of do.

3. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

It's pretty decent. I liked it more as a kid, but Sky-Byte and the Predacon trio are still frickin' hilarious to this day.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    No. No, it is not.

Unless BATTLE is a hidden middle name he never revealed in the show. I've never seen his drivers license. In the cartoon, everyone only calls him Black Convoy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved watching it and I still enjoy watching it online

6. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

It was pretty dumb. Still far better than Combiner Wars and Energon.

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    They are about equal for me if i remember correctly.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    In terms of story, I'd actually rate Superlink above Car Robots. If you remove people's anger at the abrupt fates of a couple characters, Superlink has more going on, imo. The human character starts from a really bad place and then has an arc over the course of the series with actual character development. Whereas in Car Robots, the human character is just kind of window dressing. Yuki/Koji ends the series in the exact same place he started at.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Please note that you guys are talking about the Japanese versions of the shows. I specifically mentioned the US versions. There was a LOT lost in translation.

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Or gained. For all I know, RiD might actually be better than Car Robots, because in spite of it's flaws, I still enjoyed Armada, and that's why I'm kind of wary of watching it in Japanese. I know Micron Legend was actually broadcast later and corrected a lot of animation errors, but what worries me is the "Japanification" of the dialogue and potentially changing character motives to the worse (ie. stupider).

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can't help it. Superlink is the only version of that show I've ever seen. Well, other than the first 3 episodes of Energon when it first aired, after which, I quit watching. I have no idea what Energon is like, other than the horror stories I hear. But I watched Superlink a few years later and was surprised that it was better than I was expecting.

Anyway, I think it's a fair comparison, since I was comparing the Japanese version of both shows. But to be fair to Car Robots, it was purposely intended to be a lighter, more jokey show, while Superlink was trying to tell a (kind of) serious story.

And there definitely is precedent for your worry: Beast Wars. But I think that problem exists only with US TF shows localized into Japanese. The Japanese versions of TF shows originally created in Japan are all fine, I think.

As for RiD/Car Robots, neither is drastically better than the other. I think some of the stories and relationships work a little better in Car Robots by not trying to force G1 names and expectations onto characters like Fire Convoy, God Magnus, and Gigatron. And the way this crazy series fits into the even crazier larger Japanese continuity is one of my favorite aspects of Car Robots. But if you've already watched RID '01 and loved it, you shouldn't feel like you are missing a whole lot by not watching Car Robots.

12. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Southtown, do you remember that little comic that added G1 continuity to Car Robots/RiD when all the 84 and 85 cast got teleported away by 2000-2001, for an interstellar time battle? Now that, is a big headache.

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Which version of Bumblebee? If you're talking the original G1 toy that doesn't really help for size cause I never owned one. I did have a G1 Bumblebee when I was 4 but that was the Pretender Bumblebee mold not the original... and also I lost him pretty much the same year I got him so I barely even remember that toy.

No. Battle Convoy was the Japanese name for the G2 Laser Rod Optimus Prime that Scourge was repainted from but he's not a black version of that character. They're not even from the same universe. It's just Black Convoy.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I also watched Superlink but that was probably like eight years ago at least and I neither remember hating it or loving it, so I don't actually remember how I felt about it at all. But I do plan to re-watch it after I'm done with Micron Legend.

Considering how I felt about Victory and Car Robots, it's probably understandable why I feel somewhat wary about ML. But then, people always said that Victory was a "prototype" of the Braves which made me reluctant to watch any of them, only to be positively surprised, so for all I know my fears may be unfounded.

15. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Yup. Worth watching just for him.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I did indeed mean G1 Bumblebee the original.

If you collected the original robots in Disguise toy line from 2001 a good size comparison would be Skidz or Towline. Those two figures were closer in size too the individual numbers of the Constructicons team...... they were still a bit smaller but not as small as the spychangers

actually some translations of the two actually have him labeled as black battle convoy

I don't think he was ever call that in the fiction but I remember a lot of eBay post and other sites that was selling the toy would have him listed as black battle Convoy as for the translation of the box

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

That sounds like you're talking about the Universe Micromaster Devastator. Devastator (Universe Micromaster) - Transformers Wiki They were about that size. That's not the original G1 toy.

18. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

No I'm talking about the original but it's funny you bring up the micro Master 1 because the original was not much bigger here's a picture......

The two up front are the ones I'm talking about right now the one to the left is the original G1 the one to the right is the micro Master repaint you can see the original is not very big at all

devy3.jpg

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Still bigger than the Micromasters one which is about as big as the RID Spychangers. Even in the picture the original looks to be about the size of a voyager.

Also it's a bit confusing because you're referring to the size of the individual robots while I'm talking about the combined mode. The individual guys are smaller than deluxe but not Spy Changer small.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I can remember ALOT of eBay posts listing all kinds of things with all kinds of incorrect titles and extra words to help the auction trigger more searches. I would never trust any translation of a box other than my own.

Looking at seibertron's galleries, I can tell you absolutely with zero room for doubt, that the box for Car Robots' Black Convoy says only "Black Convoy" in katakana. 2015 Tokyo toy show exclusive figure? Same thing. Masterpiece? Same. ChoroQ? Also same. No "Battle" anywhere on the packaging of any version of Black Convoy.