Is TFTM really going to be a blockbuster?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megatroptimus, May 7, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    When they list hot movies for the summer, newspapers in Quebec always mention the movie on the side as if it was going to be minor hit. It's all about Shrek, Pirate of the Carrabean, etc. Even the new Fantastic Four movie is getting way more press. I wonder why.

2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Seems like it's easier to say sequels of successful movies are going to be hits rather than bank on something untested.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm assuming that the promotion and advertising is really about to kick in so it should get more coverage then. Still, I'm a bit concerned about how well this film will do.

4. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I think the biggest problem the movie faces is getting over the stigma of being transformers, you know, that 80's toy thing for kids?

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not too worried about how successful TFTM will be in the long run. I mean the '86 movie only banked like 5 million and some odd change. And I'd be SERIOUSLY surprised in this day and age if the '07 movie did the same

Transformers 2007 also doesn't follow what I feel is the MAJOR error the '86 movie had. One isn't expected to be a hardcore fan/fan period to be able to enjoy this movie. And with a like 8 weeks to go, I think we should be seeing advertising soon. Just that if they started now it'd be eclipsed by the Spiderman juggernaught

But I think come June that's when we'll be hearing more and more about Transformers....When it's 4 weeks prior :) 

Hell maybe sooner since the next trailer is said to be attached to POTC 3 :D 

No kidding....That's pretty much all anyone remembers it as. And unfortunately, they're right in that asessment too :redface2: 

But I personally feel that ILM, Alex and Roberto & Hasbro have done what they feel is their best. Their best to update the look and the story in such a manner that it'll hopefully remove that stigma. I didn't mention Bay as I personally give the writers and artists more credit for the look and story. Bay's simply following their "outline"

6. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Yeah, that stigma is going to be tough to get over. The other big summer blockbusters have a much higher pedigree behind them, what with being based on comic books and a theme park ride.

7. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

It's not a sequel. That's it.

It's up against Spider-Man 3, Fantastic Four 2, Shrek 3, Pirates of the Carribbean 3, and Pixar Movie #8 (a.k.a. "Ratatouille"). TF is the only summer blockbuster that isn't building on multiple previous successes. (Well, along with "Stardust", but that one's not opening until August and really can't be counted for that reason alone.)

8. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Big Promotion" will start Memorial Day weekend.
    New trailer attached to Pirates
    The release of the merchendise the following week.
    It won't be long until we are sickened by all the promotion.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

All I know is that this movie can't be as bad as Spiderman 3 was

That was just a big let down :thumbdown 

10. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Amen! More bad guys......Less MJ ......also coulda done without the Tony Manero stuff

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man. I'm sorry to see all the bad feelings about Spidey 3. I had the time of my life, and so did the folks that went with me.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Not to get off topic or anything, but what they did with Sandman and Venom was just wasteful towards both characters. Heck, anything and everything even related to venom, from the origin of the 'black costume' to Eric Forman playing Venom (he wasn't even being Eddie Brock, it was like watching him on That 70's Show) to the big climatic fight scene was just poorly done and horribly rushed imo. The most entertaining part of the film was the fact that me and my friends were all in the front row going MST3K on the thing during the slower scenes, something even the rest of the theater seemed to appriciate (one of my friends got as many laughs from the audience as the movie itself).

Now we're not a bunch of Spidey-movie haters normally, most of my friends loved the first two and were eager to see this one. Heck my bro, who saw the first two repeatedly in theaters and even went to see this one at the midnight premiere, HATED this one. With this movie seeming to be such a big let down to so many people I feel it's numbers won't hold up to the other competition this summer. Which is a good thing for Transformers because Spidey 3 was supposed to be the one to beat this summer.

13. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Or, how well it will be.

I just seen Spiderman 3 and IMHO it was awesome. I'm not expecting TF the movie to be nearly as good as SM3, but then again the TF movie will be the first installment where as the Spidey franchise has had two previous chapters...

14. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I enjoyed Spidey 3, but I have to say, based just on what I've seen and what I know about the Transformers movie, it'll probably be better. It'll definitely have more action, and better action. Plus, even though there is a romantic aspect to part of the story, it won't be as prevalent as the one in Spider-Man 3. Sure, S3 broke box-office records. But from what I've gathered, people generally really didn't like that movie. It may be different in Canada, but Transformers is on every list of anticipated hit summer movies that I've seen in the U.S., sometimes very high up on the list. It'll probably be a blockbuster. But even if it isn't, it's still gonna be awesome, and there will still be a ton of cool action figures and merch items to get. And as others have mentioned, the major promoting of the movie is yet to come, I'm sure it'll get more publicity and credit then.

15. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Honestly, I think the TF movie is pretty much guarenteed at least one sequel. I don't see how it can fail to make it's money back after international box-office and DVD sales are added into the mix.

Will it be a massive hit on the scale of the SPIDER-MAN movies? Again honestly, I doubt it. But as people are fond of saying (when it suits their argument!), success is no indicator of the enjoyment a movie delivers or it's quality (Something I know for a fact given my personal dislike of SPIDER-MAN series)

16. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I also saw Spiderman 3 recently, and while I enjoyed it, I really felt it wasn't on the same level as the first two. With that in mind, it really has made me want to see Transformers even more just so I can see a (hopefully) really good movie sometime in the next few months.

Hopefully TF will overcome the "not a sequel" paranoia that many seem to have about it.

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Honestly, I hope it'll be a blockbuster because I wanna get more Transformers movies and updated movie figures.

18. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

The good thing about TRANSFORMERS is that it shouldn't be a typical 'origin' movie. Sure we'll have a slow intro into the 'bot action so the non-fans can get slowly sucked in, but it won't be along the more laboured lines of most superhero adaptations. That should make it more fun for the kiddies and their limited attention spans!

This'll benefit any sequels too: It get's a little predictable with each passing instalment how the villain has to have his own huge chunk of the movie to explain his/her creation. With TRANSFORMERS it'll just be more Decepticons to kick Autobot boot (sic)

19. Autobot HipHop

I thought it was great as well, I think some people just wanted 2 1/2 hours of nothing but venom and fighting *shrugs*

20. Autobot HipHop

When you say kiddies you mean between the ages of 1 - 100 right:) .

It seems like a lot of people nowadays have ADD and just want non stop action.

It'll be interesting to see what the majority of people will make of TRANSFORMERS. They'll probably like it because it will be dumbed down for the public with lots of action.