Is TFSource safe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kraven, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

A while ago I read that a bunch of credit card numbers were stolen from TFS. Does anybody know if the problem has been fixed and is now safe to order from them, or would I be better off finding WST Shockwave elsewhere?

Thanks for any info!

2. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    When in doubt, use PayPal.

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, I would guess that they are probably safe (after something like that, they probably/hopefully upped their security considerably). As e3nine posted, Paypal is a good route. That is the only thing I have used with them since, but I have to say, between that and a few other things recently, they are no longer the first choice for me that they had been a few months ago.

4. Seeker24

Seeker24 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im still kinda scared to buy from them.. someone charged 1550 bucks to my debit card. I was pretty pissed. They do have great service, and the whole stolen info. stuff wasn't their fault. Ill probably just use paypal if i ever buy something from them again.

5. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Thankfully I wasn't affected by the whole stolen credit card number thing. They said right after it happened that they were taking steps to improve the security of all their customer info through the company they used to store all the info. But they also offer the option to use paypal like e3nine said. So if you're scared of your credit card number getting stolen, just use paypal. Personally I recommend TFsource. I've been quite pleased with them. I haven't been using BBTS as much lately because I've been more satisfied with TFsource.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Paypal wasn't completey safe either...I was affected by the hack and it was through my Palpal account. Everything was taken care f and credited so I don't have any issues with TFSource at all...I've preordered a couple things through them since the hack and haven't had any issues with any fraud at all :) 

7. mugen_prime

Really?! That sucks! There's always some risk when shopping online. I just thought the paypal option would've been more secure.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    TFsource is safe. the company they do their payment processing through has undoubtedly fixed whatever security issue was taken advantage of.

and yes, when in doubt, use paypal.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Yes it is. I buy from there all the time.

10. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

no, TFsource is definately not safe!

shortly after browsing i find my credicard has NUMEROUS DEBITS, and a few days later lots of wonderful new toys arrive at my house. i for one am disgusted, and will continue to be disgusted at every opportunity. i've preordered some disgust too just to make sure i get it as disgustingly quickly as possible.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've ordered Numerous things from them before and after the stolen Credit cards. MP Prime, Defender and the 2 FP Bruticus updates. In the past, I ordered Henkei Skywarp, Powered City Commander and Encore Bruticus. They are as safe as any other web site. Itunes, Amazon, Nike, Finish Line, hell even the IRS web site has been hacked. Face it, your taking a risk whenever you shop online.

Just use Pay Pal and if something goes wrong, get your money back.

12. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

well since i did not start this thread...hell no! not worthy of having them store your credit card anyway...sorry once burnt...never again!

if you want to use paypal....then up to you...

Me, i am from the school that you do not reward inept practicing companies with your business...and if they were not up on keeping everything secure then it can and will happen again....

And for all the nay sayers about "oh it was not their fault"

Look at BBTS...have they ever been hacked? NOPE...so there ya go.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do you run Windows on your computer?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    TFsource has never been hacked either. the third party company that handles tfsource's billing system was hacked. they handle lots of other sites too. all of which were effected, because this wasnt targetted at tfsource. the hackers probably dont even know tfsource exists.

so no, it wasnt their fault, and tfsource was never hacked.

if you dont want to shop there anymore, fine. more for me.

15. mugen_prime

As has been stated it was NOT TFsources fault. TFsource wasn't hacked it was the company that handles their billing. ANY online store puts you at risk. There are steps you can take to help protect yourself though. But just because it happened to TFsource does NOT mean they can't be trusted.

Plus because of this hack, they've stepped up security. Both TFsource and the billing company from the sounds of things have stepped up security. You're at just as much risk buying from BBTS as anywhere else. Just because "they haven't been hacked" doesn't mean they can't be hacked.

16. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Holy hell. Such a flawless victory. :lol 

Personally, I got hit with a charge when that whole thing went down. I got my money back the next morning and will just use paypal. No real harm done, just gotta be careful.

17. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    As mentioned already, it wasn't TFSource's fault, but rather a third party, whose other customers in addition to TFSource were no doubt affected by this CC breach.

No security system is 100% safe and every credit card-processing company is to some degree at risk of being hacked, including those serving each of the TFW sponsors. TFSource merely drew the short straw this time around.

18. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Wow, thanks for the imput guys! I was wondering, what about on of those American Express gift cards? Do those work for online purchases? If so that seems like a good idea to me, because if anything were to happen with that all the crooks would get, at most, would be the couple dollar balance.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The payment processing company fixed the problem.

I don't know if TFsource takes american express. I can't think of any online retailers that do.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    You can use your American Express card on Paypal I have done that for ages to earn extra Nectar points with Paypal purchases.

I'm not to impressed with TFsource personally - they've mishandled the whole snowman kit thing and their website still does not load properly on most browsers i've tried.