Is TF's Prime what we needed?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 0MEGATR0N, Mar 16, 2012.

1. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

Seems the overall consensus is that prime is liked more then disliked,the toyline seems to be selling good and the show has taken off,with that said is this show all the TF's franchise/fandom needed to spark(no pun intended)a new intrest in the brand rather then the movies?most fans seem to have no real issues with the prime figures,though the decepticons still dont share a real likeness to their G1 counterparts they have a much closer likeness then the insect looking movie cons,I guess what im getting at is did we really need the movies if it all started back in the day with a toon,perhaps all it needed now was a toon?

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not everyone hates the movies and not everyone loves Prime. I'm not saying that I fall into either, all I am saying is every TF fan should be thankful for the movies, whether you liked them or not. They ensured the brand will continue a very long time and made it just that, a brand, not a toyline anymore. If I'm going to get hit with a barrage of movie "ruined forever" crap, then whatever. Smart fans know I'm right

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

Even the RID line looks better than ROTF and DOTM to me. It actually has things I really dig.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm loving it so far.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's deffinately one of the better series, even if the story kinda blows.

Also we have a Prime forum down there.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's creeping up

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's going a little far saying Prime sparked a new interest in Transformers for the entire Fandom. I don't think that's possible for anything with us whiny fan boys. Prime is definitely what the movies could/should have been with better overall writing.

IMO, it was definitely the movies that took Transformers to a completely new level. It doesn't matter if you hate them or love, the movies gave this Fandom a lot.

8. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I can't stand Prime, but I liked TFTM and ROTF and I'm a geewunner. Is Prime really selling that well? It seems to be popular with the fandom, but is it just the fandom and not the general toy buying public?

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No matter how good a cartoon is, nothing would've made the TF franchise as strong as it is right now like a movie. That thing made so much fucking money it gave Hasbro the guts to MAKE A BRAND NEW CARTOON CHANNEL. The movies were needed.

10. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    LORD YES!

- The animation is amazing, the writing is very good, the voice actors are top-notch.
    - The show itself is going places that other shows and the movies never went.
    - It has re-imagined characters in some very clever ways, but still has plenty of great homages to G1 as well as other series.
    - Plus it's entertaining, engrossing, and downright fun to watch!

But I do agree with Shroobmaster that the Movies opened the door and made it possible.

11. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its good, but it has alot to accomplish if it wants to be in the same breath as Beast Wars(also Beast Machines for me) and Animated

12. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Transformers: Prime has potential and it has started to grow on me (though I liked Transformers: Animated a lot better - that had me hooked from very first episode right to the very end, which is funny because originally I didn't have high expectations of it (unlike the (first) TF movie...)) .. I like characters I've never met before like Breakdown and Knockout (and Arcee kicks a**).

I would like to see more of the wider TF: Prime universe and I hope it doesn't get suddenly cancelled partway.

As for the movies - they made money which I admit is a good thing, and there were some pretty cool fight scenes and some interesting toys (I bought quite a few from the first movie line, about half a dozen from the ROTF line and only Leader-class Sentinel Prime from the DOTM line). However. when it came to plot, dialogue, characterisation, 'humour' , etc.....it's probably best not to talk about those.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  13. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Prime is exactly what we needed, an engaging series with strong characters and plot, which ties in nicely to the continuity Hasbro has been trying to set up with WfC/FoC and the novels, as well as captures the mature feel of the movies while remaining a fun kids show.

And there's plenty for old fans, too, as the entire Unicron finale to the first season was there just cause the writers knew we'd love it.

Plus, the toys are new and different but feel like an old school Transformers line again. Having the big toys as well as a Cyberverse line was a great idea on Hasbro's part, it's gotten the Transformers a lot of addition back after months of DotM shelf-warming.

So yes, this is a good thing.

14. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I'm disagreeing on RiD looking better than RoTF. DoTM, sure, but not RoTF.

RoTF has a perfect leader Prime. RiD has an over-gimmicky kibbley leader Prime.

15. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I like the movies but they could have been so much more. Prime imo seems like what the movies could have been. Plus the 1st season finale and 2nd season premiere were so awesome. The episode right before the season finale where it was pretty much nothing but Optimus vs Megatron (I think it was One Shall Fall) had the best Transformers fight ever.

16. KikBlava

KikBlava Well-Known Member

Prime grabbed my attention completely by the fifth episode, I just love it so much, kids should watch it, they'd like it. I'm sleepy.

17. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

It's not what I needed, it's costing me a bloddy fortune :lol 

In otherwords, depsite not really collecting last year, I'll likly MORE than mke up for it This year.

18. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

If you like something else that isn't g1, youre no geewuner.

19. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

I do believe one of the reasons for making prime is because prime is what they wanted to do with the movies but couldnt because of budget.

20. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    I think the movies were needed. Just because it seemed to open up transformers to people who I don't know would have watched them otherwise.