Is TF Animated really all that?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Dec 2, 2008.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I've got the last episode in season 1 to finish, but I think I've been pretty patient, so here are my problems:

1. TFA producers said they hated the fact that Megatron and the 'Cons always lost in battle, and that they posed no real threat in the '80s cartoon. Their answer: fewer battles with the 'Cons (who still lose every battle), and lots of uninspired human villains.

2. "Character development"- please someone tell me when this happens. Prime is aloof, Bumblebee is annoying, Bulkhead is an idiot. I find Prowl and Ratchet to be the most tolerable, but even then they are still caricatures, as are most of the 'Cons. Blitzwing is a disgrace. Black Arachnia is the only interesting character, and she was relegated to just about a single episode in the first season.

3. Overall tone-- and this is a complaint I have about most cartoons of the day. I know I'm watching a tv show for kids, but do I have to be reminded of it every second? There are shows like Justice League that don't talk down to their audiences. I think the second half of TF Armada even had a better (IMO), more serious tone, even if it did eventually become bogged down in its own melodrama with Unicron. If a show won't take itself seriously, why should I? And if not, why not strike a balance with the humor? Beast Wars did this perfectly. Sari epitomizes all that I dislike about Animated, and she needs to go.

Now yes, this may be a rant, but I can't be the only one feeling like this. I think Animated does a lot of great things-- it brings TF to a new generation, it's a great marketing tool for kids to give them something to watch between the movies, its animation style (while I am not a big fan) is quite colorful and inspired. Let's also not forget the fact that it pays TONS of lip service to the old school fans. But I want more. I was born in '86 and wasn't even alive for the original airing of G1. My earliest memory of TF was with Tommy Kennedy and Powermaster Optimus. The bots of those days were the bots I fell in love with. Beast Wars and Machines were great too with deeper plots and characters than the original. They continued and expanded the original G1 universe rather than reboot it. RiD should never have happened. Armada as I said before had a compelling story, although the animation was severely lacking. The remainder of the Unicron trilogy was a bad joke or an abomination depending on your mindset. While Animated has a few perks, I think it doesn't hold a candle to the good 'ol days. Since everything is getting a reboot now, I would love to see something based more on the current Furman/McCarthy comicverse.

But now is a good time to be a TF fan with the movie and all that jazz. I just expect a little more from the powers that be.

Thanks for reading and I'd love to hear other opinions.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

It's all that and a bag of Energon chips.

3. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I guess you don't like Animated.
    Simple as that.

4. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Shitstorm?

5. goestron

goestron Well-Known Member

Regarding your point about the cons being push overs. From all the episodes I've seen, it takes the whole team of bots to take down one con. If the cons did attack with more than one guy, the bots would usually get beat, bad. Plus the cons are the only characters with real weaponry, laser cannons and such.

6. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    #3 is definitely going to be your biggest roadblock in liking Animated.

I personally love shows that don't take themselves seriously. I also like shows that give a good mix of humor and seriousness, but I find shows that take themselves too seriously to be a bit boring.

Unless they're really really awesome.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Plus the Decepticons have owned the Autobots more than once, i.e:

Lost and Found: Lugnut's "Punch of Kill Everything" takes out all the Autobots at once.

Megatron Rising: Blitzwing and Lugnut trash Ratchet, Megatron takes down BB, Bulkhead, and Prime without breaking a sweat. And that's just part-1.

There's more in season 2, but I won't spoil it for you.

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What do you mean there's no character development?!?!

Didn't you see that episode where Bulkhead was clumsy and not fully aware of his strength? Or perhaps the one where Bumblebee was too cocky and eager and wasn't a team player? How about that one where Ratchet was old and grumpy but had a heart of gold?

Oh, wait, that's *EVERY SINGLE EPISODE* right there. Yeah, the characters are pretty thinly defined and after two seasons have barely progressed. It almost seems as though as soon as they learn something it's all wiped clean for the next episode.

Animated is fairly average. Good and bad, you know? Unfortunately there is this trend in the fandom to polarize everything (OMG ANIMATED IS THE *BEST THING EVAH!!!* or DUDE ANIMATED SUCKS STUPID CHINS).

It's also common for people to love something simply because it's new. People's views might be a bit better in 5 years time. Consider all the people sitting around looking at their 100% complete line of Armada toys wondering "WHAT ON EARTH WAS I THINKING, THESE THINGS SUCK."

9. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    That's the G1 Mindset. Watching it new, it's aawesome.

Re-watch, not so much.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I don't like Animated either and I agree with all your points. My big thing that kills it for me is the look of the show. They don't look like robots and the style of the animation just doesn't work for this type of show. It comes across as cheap and quite frankly ugly.

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Itsa brewin'.

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Sure you're not the only one. Just most of the anti-Animated threads are posted in the Animated section.

Oh, and I'm definately NOT in agreement. I LOVE Animated, even tho I don't get to see very much of it.

--Moony

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Waitwait, which was the last time that happened? In the second season he improved alot, last time I saw him go OOPS MY BAD SORRY was The Headmaster and that was 16 episodes ago.

Optimus and Prowl also improved, by the second season he was pretty good in commanding and Prowl actualy learned how to live in a team, however I agree with Bumblebee and Ratchet, they just seem to never get a clue that they're screwing up.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I have been lovin' Animated I can agree that it is sometimes anoying that Sari and Bumblebee seem to forget their lessons almost as soon as they should have learned them.

Over all I find the series fun and enjoyable. I also like that you don't have to have watched every single episode to understand the current one. In my view continuity is good but should be mixed in with stand alone eps. This show seems to do well with that. You can watch an ep here or there and not be completly lost as to what is going on.

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Animated is, indeed, all that. But it could still use moar Professor Princess.

16. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    3 little words - "25min. toy commercials". Try taking them serious :) 

17. tnasoundlug

tnasoundlug Well-Known Member

Well, Sari not so much. in SUV she actually wanted to call reinforcements but Bumbleebee was, again, the ego one. Sari has become better through season 2.

Bumbleebee is the only real reset-button character.

Prime is getting better, Prowl now actually works with the team, Ratchet is a little less grumpy and Bulkhead is less clumsy and more a Genius ditz.

And if you see A Bridge to Close, they would be dead if it was not by Omega Supreme and Prowl lucky guess in his incomplete training. So no... the Decepticons are really powerfull

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think you have some fair critiques, but I don't think the character development thing is that bad. On most other shows it's really not that much better, at least in my experience. Also, on your first point - I think not using the AUTOBOTS VS DECEPTICONS angle for every episode is a good thing. When it does happen it kind of makes it matter a little more. It's not as tedious. Think about Dragonball Z for a really good example. There's tons of fighting in most episodes, but nothing is really fucking happening, it just drags on and on. Plus, the 'Bots getting used to Earth is a plot point too. It's good they're exploring that more rather than barely squeezing it in around a bunch of 20 minute shoot outs where nothing happens.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Can someone name me a show with good character development? Seriously. Even in stuff I like, I've gotta admit that it doesn't happen. I enjoyed Star Trek: Next Generation, but one of the largest criticisms of any Star Trek show is the need to maintain the status quo, hence Riker never getting promoted, etc. NCIS is a great show, but I don't think any of the characters has shown any real growth. So if successful shows aimed at adults don't rate character development that highly, why are we insisting on it in a kids cartoon?

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I've yet to watch an episode, but in a completely and unabashedly superficial way, I'm not feeling the show. I just don't see enough robot in the character designs. They're... people with car parts.

Then again, what I've really been wanting was a new G1-based 'toon. *opens whole new can of worms*

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008