Is Steven Spielberg a moron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Scaleface, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I see a picture of a big lock for the future of this thread.:D 

But I echo what has been pointed out - He makes tonnes of money that I can only earn in maybe 100 lifetimes. So, yeah. Definitely not a person to be labled a m****.

2. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

There are many directors capable of doing this series other than Bay. Bay was the worse possible choice. Why did the bastard keep pushing for him to become director? Heck, why didn't Speilberg himself direct the film.
    As for budget, yeah, back then it would've been a huge risk. But that is no excuse to give little to no development for the bots in all 3 films, except OP and Bee. The films earn upper millions and billions now. Yeah, military would get involved in what not, but we don't need to see half of a finale (ROTF) showing soldiers shoot guns, planes, and tanks. If I wanted to watch military advertsing and get brainwashed into thinking joining the army is cool and war is awesome, I'd watch the military channel.

Have you seen the what the ending would've been like had they went with the original ending?! Check out the video game's interpretation.
    As for Fox, they could've gone with her for one more film and throw her out. Who knows, maybe Bay is a douche on set.
    I really wonder what type of involvement has Speilberg had in ROTF and DOTM other than giving high fives to Bay when he shows him his work. His name was just slapped on to trailers and the credits to draw in more people.

Edit-
    Oh yeah and he was the one that wanted Que to look like fucking Einstein.

3. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

steven spielberg did land before of time movies and amercian tail movie 1 and 2

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Its a matter of record on this site that I have some huge problems with the way Michael Bay does things in his movies, certain thematic, visual and narrative choices the various crew members made in order to bring the franchise to the silver screen that in my view when watched in order you get:

A Fantastic Starter, A Fucking Woeful Middle and a Perfectly Servicable and Definite Ending.

However, all of this pales in comparrison to the direct contribution of Steven Spielberg to cinema as a whole.

Jurassic Park (1/10) Movie CLIP - Welcome to Jurassic Park (1993) HD - YouTube

I will remember sitting in a cinema when that movie came out and seeing that dinosaur walk across the screen for as long as I live. Not even seeing the Transformers on screen (although that was amazing) has replicated the feeling since.

Spielberg is a master craftsman. He's not perfect by any means, but his resume speaks for itself in terms of quality of cinema and professional and critical success. He is long past explaining himself to the likes of you or I.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Not so loud. We're just going to tell it it's "special".

6. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Which despite the crying of fanboys on the internet, are three of the BEST things about the original film, which helped allow the at-the-time-considered-ridiculous idea of a film based on those little robot toys for kids be accepted and enjoyed by millions of grown-ass adults who would never have looked sideways at the franchise before. Speilberg KNOWS his fucking craft.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think in the hands of a better pair of writers that needn't have been true. The boy and his car things is okay, but I felt pretty ripped off that Megatron copped it at the hands of the kid from Even Steven's instead of his life long rival and equal.

This part however I cannot agree with HARD ENOUGH! :D 

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    My bank account wishes I could be so moronic.

Although didn't Spielberg say back while making the first BayFormers films that his kids were really big Transformers fans? If that were so I'm sure he'd have encountered the 1986 movie at some point.
    But yeah, I reckon he was talking more about a live-action TF movie. Should he have acknowledged the animated movie? Maybe. But then he's not pushing the 1986 movie, he's pushing the Bay one.
    I'm not fond of Spielberg having brought Bay on board, or when he says Bay was the only person who could've pulled off these movies, but in terms of just making cash I suppose he was proved right.

9. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Spielberg/Bay's movies brought new life into a toy franchise that really needed it

Without the live action movies, there would be no Transformers Prime

What happened with the Live Action movies was a wonderful and positive thing. There will always be haters but thankfully the supporters outweigh them 100 to 1

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol  That was great for a laugh. We all know the only reason any adult watches the film is either;

• They grew up with the franchise (Bearing in mind that most kids from the G1 time would be adults by now and drag their friends with them)
    • They want to stare at Megan`s body
    • They got drawn in by the fact its robots
    • Their children forced them to go

Here`s the real reason the three human points were added;

-He was the one that came up with the Boy and his car thing.
    Added to promote the car companies and present the principle that a car is status and you need a car to do anything.

-He want the films to focus more on the human than the bots.
    No reason for Sam to buy a car if he didnt need it... so they introduced;

• Megan fox - Potential love interest (Motivated by money and power she falls for Sam because he has a car and immediately starts seducing him because her current boyfriend is a dick and didnt let her drive)
    • Dick boyfriend - Added simply to explain why Sam needs a car, to win the girl
    • Sam`s friend - Added to basically extend the scene with Sam and Mikela`s Bf.
    • Glen and Maggie - Added to prove that the military are idiots and for (Bad) comic relief

Thats just a few reasons for individuals.

-He wanted them to change the original ending so Sam could kill Megatron in the first film.
    After the whole film Sam has more charecter development than Optimus who simply is only able to describe what Megatron did to Cybertron and that he is an Autonomous Robotic being from Cybertron before Sam takes the centre stage. Having Optimus kill Megatron would make little sense in the film, as Sam is attacked and threatened more times than Optimus - who is simply there to protect Sam and humans in general (If you only focus on the film without any knowledge of Transformers before)

11. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Whether you like the movie or not, Spielberg certainly is no moron.

Anyone who actually thinks he is is probably a moron, though.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The guy made Schindler's List, Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, Poltergeist, Indiana Jones and has helped to make the Transformers brand the most successful it has ever been.

However, he either forgot about the 86 animated film or didn't consider it a true movie so clearly he is a moron.

13. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And the reason it did decently CRITICALLY, and was not lambasted like the second and third movies, was because it has a strong emotional core and a coherent, decently-structured story that was identifiably about a boy's friendship and the journey it took him on, from an ordinary person caught up a situation bigger than he was to a hero, living up to the credo of his family. Spielberg told the same story once before, maybe you heard of it, little film called E.T.

But sure, keep spewing your internet hate. It's all conspiracies and advertising, not about structuring a story as best they could. Fuck dem hoomanz Moar robitz.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Steven Spielberg easily makes any greatest directors list with ease. Enough timeless films to keep him on a greatest directors list far into the future.

However he's not flawless. His War of the Worlds wasn't very good and is best forgotten in favor of better War of the Worlds adaptions. He directed Hook which didn't do very well. Even as a producer he's not flawless because his Terra Nova couldn't bring in high enough rating to get renewed for a second season. Just having the Steven Spielberg name attached to a film or TV show doesn't make it great or even all that watchable.

Plus part of a producer's job is to sell the movie as hard as they can. A producer will tell you almost anything they think you might want to hear if it will sell a few more tickets.

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    We should all be so lucky as to forget the '86 movie. Then we may actually get new lines for Optimus instead of the same parroted crap over and over and over again.

16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Moron, probably not. Out of touch, past his artistic prime but knows how to turn a buck? More likely.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Out of touch?

These movies, with his input, raked in over 2 billion dollars combined worldwide at the box office, with people going to the theatres over and over again to see them.

Out of touch my ass.

Unless you mean to say "out of touch of the demands of whiny fanboys", to which I say, "Thank God".

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly

19. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you miss the part where I wrote "but knows how to turn a buck"? Money != quality, hence the horrible review scores (likely not written by "whiny fanboys").

20. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Poser.
    I thought Steven Spielberg was a moron back in 2005 when he made that god awful War of the Worlds movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.