Is Steven Spielberg a moron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Scaleface, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I flipped on the Comcast On-Demand and they are pushing the Dark of the Moon movie in the advertising rotation. Part of the ad is them talking to Steven Spielberg, where he comments that the Transformers franchise lengs itself so well to movie that he can't believe.... that no one has made a motion picture of it before. If the horrible movies themselves are not proof these guys don't know Transformers, I think this proves it.

2. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell him its a horrid movie and he'll show you the profits. As much as I agree with you, these movies have made new toylines possable and a new CG cartoon that is very very good. It may not be great, but it serves the greater good.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
  5. Scaleface

News Credits:
    I know they movies are profitable, that wasn't argued. He simply doesn't even know the material he's making a movie about. It would be like making a film of the book "The Island of Doctor Moreau" and saying "yeah, I don't know why no one has made this book into a movie before us."

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He doesn't need to be a walking wiki, he knows enough of the concept to make a profitable, popular movie for it. Whether you, or I liked it doesn't matter, it's whether the mass audience liked it, and boy howdy they did.

You don't see morons getting that kind of success, outside of some sort of ridiculous Parsival confluence of events. That he has had repeated successes over the course of decades indicates he is no moron.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

He's probably referring to a LIVE-ACTION movie, which makes perfect sense given his love for special effects.

Bullshit, it's more like if someone making an adaptation of The Island of Doctor Moreau didn't know about the rubbish movie with the guy of Apocalypse now: A guy who adapts the tale not knowing of the infinitely inferior earlier adaptation that sucked.

One thing to keep in mind: Spielberg is the producer, he helps Bay with the story and financial stuff, Bay is the one who's supposed to do his research [which he did], alongside Ehren Krueger/Kurtz and Orci.

8. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

That statement does not have anything to do with if the movies are bad. How does, "I'm suprised no one else made a TF movie," prove that he knows nothing about TF's? Can someone please tell me what I'm not seeing?

9. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Knowing the '86 Transformers movie exists =/= being a walking wiki. It's not like I called him on skipping the existance of the Beast Wars II movie.

10. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Some people seem overly defensive. Yes, I don't like the Bay movies, and I'm honest on this, but if you want to argue Steven Spielberg knows a damn thing about the TFs you are dead wrong.

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    No, you called him on skipping the flop that killed all the popular characters.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, Spielberg is a moron who has made billions of dollars over his lifetime, not to mention directing numerous movies which make many critics' "Best Movies of All-Time" lists. Plus, he wrote Close Encounters.

Yeah, that sounds really moronic.

13. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

+1 for Parsival!

I suppose Spielberg knows a good movie when he sees one; he's made a lot. Assuming that, I'm sure he doesn't think the TF franchise is perfect, but maybe he's pleased enough to gag all the way to the bank? :) 

I do think TF07 had a dose of Spielberg 'magic' that would have greatly improved the second two movies...a certain sense of wonder, a certain fairy-tale quality, perhaps.

14. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Hey, Mr. Steven Spielberg I found this great book called Dracula. It's great, and I can't believe no one has made a movie of it before. You should totally make one!

15. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Not Skipping, not knowing it existed at all. He didn't say "yeah, the old Transformers movie was bad, so I made a better one", he thought he made the first Transformers movie!

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    How do you know he doesn't know about the animated film, which was basically a spin-off of the original animated series? He could be talking about a live action film. Many in cinema draw a pretty sharp line between the two mediums.

No, the original animated television series was the main reason people went to the 2007 film.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's how I took it.

18. Scaleface

News Credits:
    He said specifically a "Transformers motion picture".... so our options are either Speilberg doesn't know about the the film or he doesn't think "The Transformers: The Movie" doesn't qualify as a motion picture? Either he's ignorant or he's arrogant? I guess that's one defense. He isn't lacking in knowledge of the Transformers, he's looking down on what came before him. Got it!

19. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    No, he may draw a line between motion pictures and animation, as many do. Or maybe he feels the animated film counts as an offshoot of the television show.

You know what else is ignorant AND arrogant? Insinuating someone is a moron because you don't like their (highly successful) work.

20. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it is pretty clear that he was referring to LIVE ACTION film. Last time I checked, Spielberg is not really making cartoon based movies.

For arguments sake, IF he simply forgot, or didn't know the 1986 movie existed, I don't believe that warrants a billionaire being called a moron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.