Is Starscream learning from his mistakes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Flashdisk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is Starscream learning from his mistakes?

In the episode 'partners' he stated this:"I have been a fool. Made mistakes. Monumental ones. But I have gained a clear understanding of my place in the universe. Of who I am. Starscream: aligned with no side, servant to no one."

But in the most recent episode I find that he still gloats too much. Because of that gloating he lost to Arcee and now he even lost Bumblebee's t-cog. I would have thought he'd have learned to stop gloating earlier on.

I also think he underestmates people. He underestimated Arcee, hence he lost to her, He underestimated Bumblebee so he lost the t-cog. And then he underestimated Mech which lost him his own t-cog.

What do you guys and gals think. Is Starscream developing as a character; learning and changing? Or is he becoming a gag character?

For the record I think turning Starscream into a gag character would be terrible and sad.

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Bad writing makes Starscream forget things.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So what was the alternative? Sit next to a tree & rot?

Like, he knows that he's better as a lone gunman, but even then a temporary alliance can suit him well, especially when aligned against a mutual enemy. Plus, it's in his nature to show off & shit, so that's probably a weakness that'll plague him forever.

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it was the gloating that made him lose, it was more the fact that he didn't expect Bee to actualy charge at him. He had the T-Cog at gunpoint, but Bee decided to go all Cliffjumper on him out of nowhere.

5. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    I have written in another thread, that he seems to have lost all combat and tactical skills.
    I feel like he has been degraded from the first episoder up till now.
    It's like incredibly excessive skills of Arcee. Like he has been caused some virus that is decomposing his personality.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly speaking, I don't think Starscream cared whichever way the t-cog went down. Silas pissed him off when he disrespected him. I think Starscream kind of wanted Bumblebee to do something, giving him reason to destroy it. Either way, I think he was going to destroy the cog.

Though he got screwed by Silas and MECH, I think he was acting buddy-buddy with them because he needs them. He learned in Orion Pax that he needs help at times. He also needs Energon, lots of it. He already shared with us that he lacks the means to get it himself.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well in his defense, he probably hasn't had either a drink or good night's rest since being excommunicated from the Decepticons, and like Shroobmaster said, Bee kinda caught him off guard like that. Plus when he offed Cliffjumper, he was not only appearing to be at 100%, but in a position of facing a mostly dead Autobot with like 6 Vehicons holding him up.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was he ever really a bad @$$? Each time he tries to strength his cred with folks with power, he often brings up killing helpless ol' Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper IS his only cred, and sadly for him, no one cares.

9. DepthWave

News Credits:
    I'd say, that every time, when he needed to gain some gravitas- he needed to act like Megatron.

10. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    IMHO except in 'Partners' Starscream didn't get any character development. He's an interesting character and steals the show everytime he's onscreen, but that's it. The only Decepticon being close to character development is Breakdown.

I can understand that arrogance is probably his biggest hindrance, crippling him even more than the lack of bravado in battle. But ffs every single time he's facing an Autobot he looses because of gloating. It's like the moment he gets upper hand he stops paying attention and starts a mockery fest ('Rock Bottom', 'Partners', 'Operation Bumblebee') or freezes for no reason and waits for the punch ('Deus ex machina', 'Operation: Breakdown') In 'Darkness Rising' after when 3 'Bots were aiming at him he was at least focused enough to avoid lasers from 3 different angles at close range and was actually distracted by something; so it is possible to make SS lose without turning him into an idiot. The writes could come up with a decent reason for Scream to lose, exaggerating his flaws as a plot device can be only used this many times.

So far it looks like they are turning this magnificent character into a comic relief and that's a fucking shame. Though there is always hope that Starscream is just a hardened jerkass and needs an extreme dose of Humble Pie and Break the Haughty to really start seeing his own mistakes and develop. I just find is strange that Starscream's Humiliation Conga started so early in season 2. I really hope that the 'world of pain and suffering' won't be the only thing we will see from Starscream in the next 21 episodes.

The writers either created a great character and are failing miserably at handling him or they are just making us wait for the character growth.

11. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    Think of him as the Miko of the decepticons, or the Transformers' Miko. He doesn't learn from his mistakes, no matter what.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Most certainly he is not, and that's really fucking sad, since that's supposed to be the entire point of his character arc. Hell, Partners was all about him admitting to himself he's made mistakes and trying to amend them.

13. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
  14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

It was so blatantly obvious he would get betrayed. He's a moron going back to MECH knowing he blew up the T-cog and didn't expect betrayal.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yep. I could see it coming miles off. MECH was gonna lose the cog somehow but they just happen to have this ready supply of TF parts hanging around with them called Starscream.
    Starscream really should've been smart enough to not go back, at least not without getting another cog from somewhere first, like a Vehicon.

At least this episode confirmed T-Cogs can be interchangeable between TF since Ratchet was going to give Bumblebee his. Maybe with a little modification for full compatibility, sure, but still showing it's not just one specific cog to one specific TF.

16. DepthWave

News Credits:
    Could it be that Starscream needs somebody to acknowledge him so badly, that he doesn't care who exactly it would be? Since he got known, that the SpaceBridge was completed without his presence.
    We all, probably, have a need in communication, so the Transformers have it, too.
    I cannot really know about WheelJack and Arachnid, but the first one could get some contacts while beating any "bad guys" all over the Space, and the second one could gain some dialogue or monologue with all the dead species she received.

17. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    The writers will say its because of the way he is. Its just bad writing is what it is.

18. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

In YOUR eyes and in YOUR opinion it's bad writing. Others have different opinions though.

19. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Yeah, seriously dude, this "bad writing" thang is getting on my nerves. Stop using it like Vegeta's "I'm a Super Saiyan!" line.

At any rate, let's see ... has Starscream learned from his mistakes?

No. Not by a long shot, so far.

Being rogue seems to be his worst career move, so far. The Decepticons fire at him whenever they see him, the Autobots try to capture him, MECH wants his liver ... seriously, it's just fucking sad. Reminds me the last episodes of One Tree Hill, where Dan was despised and ignored by virtually ... anyone. And it didn't end up well for the character.

It's like ... the more the viewers like him, the more the show's characters detest him. It's like the whole TF Universe is trying to screw with him.

And yet ... Starscream hasn't learned a damn thing. He still gloats. He still lacks balls. He still grovels at ambitious power-hungry tyrants. He still runs like a little girl. He still shows that when actually acting with some guts he can take on anyone (Bee, Vehicons).

What truly amazes me with the writers is that they constantly make me go from "YAY!!" to "fffff" with Starscream, within mere moments. When I saw him murder the two Vehicons I was like "HE'S DA MAN!!" When he offed the Vehicon who pursued him in the Nemesis I was like "HE'S DA FREAKIN' MAN!!!" then he gets shot down and I'm like "fffffff". Then he gets bullied by Ratchet and Bulkhead and I'm like "ffffff", then he sees Bee taken prisoner and I'm like "Smooth, man, keep it up". Then he enters MECH's hideout and I'm like "HE'S DA BEAST!!! DA FREAKIN' BEAST!!" Then he goes "Eh, um, YOUR army, I mean" and I'm like ... well, whatever, you got the point.

Maybe I should stop caring about Starscream and stick with Soundwave, my old #1 fave from G1. He may get 2 secs of screentime per ep, but when the camera goes from boots to head, you know it's on.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    And those different opinions aren't going to make him change his.

And while I agree it was a bad writing move, it's not like it's a world ending thing or that bad writing means the show is now doomed to failure. It was a stupid developement that's probably not going to become less so, but it's not a show-ruining turn and it's not like it's permanently fucked up the character. Starscream can get a new cog, it's just a matter of when and how.

If the show is making you think this way... well, it's not a good thing.