Is Starscream genuinely evil?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Rumblestorm, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    The Decepticons need therapy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    I would pay money to watch a show where the Decepticons meet in a support group, sit in a circle, talk about their feelings and occasionally stare into the camera like on the Office

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    Lets see...

Megatron: needs anger management classes and rehab for drug abuse. Psychopathic and megalomaniacal tendencies.
    Starscream: victim of domestic abuse. Narcissistic personality disorder.
    Shockwave: unable to express himself. Tends to suppress his emotions completely.
    Soundwave: poor communication skills. Has a strange obsession with Megatron that is bordering on psychotic.
    Knockout : Narcissistic personality and possible OCD due to his obsession with his finish.

• Like Like x 2
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Of course he is.

In general terms:

Megatron - the conqueror and warlord, the destroyer of worlds, the visionary who will inspire peaceful people to arms and destruction, and will maintain peace through his own tyranny. Despite this, there is enough good (for lack of a better word, I mean he does care for his troops) in him that redemption may be granted to him (which it was in the IDW comics and in TFP).

Starscream - coward, liar, syncophant, egomaniac, TRAITOR. A guy who hangs on to bullies and does their dirty work, but the first opportunity he gets he turns on them for his own gain. Probably the worst of the bunch, simply because he is petty enough to undo his own alliances and plans if it suits him.

Soundwave - cold, merciless, without any empathy or compassion. But he does care for his minions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I'd pay good money to Hasbro to have at least just one scene on Cybertron where we see some of the Alchemor's prisoners in a therapy group, talking about their problems. Preferably with a cameo from Rung.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thilda

News Credits:
    Umm Megatron does not care for his troops. At least not as individuals. Remember that time when he threw some regular vehicons off Nemesis to their deaths because he got angry and thought those were the flying ones? The only Decepticons he treats well are Soundwave and Shockwave.

I think calling TF Prime Starscream a traitor like it's a big deal is a bit of misunderstanding. I mean yeah, he went rouge, but then look at Knockout who switched sides the moment it suited him, or Dreadwing who gave the Autobots a powerful weapon because he got butthurt, don't get me started on Airachnid, even Megatron betrayed his own fraction at the end. Really the only 'Cons who stayed loyal were Soundwave, Shockwave, Breakdown and Skyquake and those four are the only ones that aren't complete buttholes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

In fairness, Dreadwing had felt betrayed because not only did his brother die under Starscream's command, but Starscream went and desecrated his corpse by raising from the dead with the blood of Unicron. There's kind of a difference between all that and just being butthurt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thilda

News Credits:
    That is very true, but his brother did die in battle, it happens in war (nevermind that he did have a chance to stand down). I get it that Dreadwing got angry about the zombie thing, but didn't he go with Megatron and desecrate one of Prime's tombs himself? Apparently he wasn't above tomb riding when it suited him. I understand that it was personal and all, but still betraying your own cause by aiding a mortal enemy because of desecration (it's not like Megatron has plotted against Dreadwing or was responsible for murdering Skyquake), especially after his honor talk to Starscream in 'Triangualtion'... I don't know, Dreadwing what's up with you man?

• Like Like x 1
  9. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Moderator

News Credits:
    Webworld - Transformers Wiki
    The poor saps that tried were served as an example to the rest of the galaxy lol

• Like Like x 3
  10. Venixion

Venixion So-Cal Girl

News Credits:
    Cruel, callous, backstabbing and power hungry. He ain't no angel!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Novaflame

Novaflame Seeker

I honestly support the idea that he was once good and was built for goodness, but lead astray, like how Vos was attacked by Tarn, he lost his home and had nothing left until Megatron offered a job to him, provided him with a purpose, and then from there, was lead astray and eventually became the broken shell of the seeker he once was, and now, has fully snapped, unleashing all of his anger and wanted to get vengeance on all who had wronged him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, Starscream is evil. He killed Cliffjumper without hesitation.

People always talk about how some fictional villains are misunderstood. I wonder, if these characters actually existed in real life, would people still say the same thing? (I doubt it.)

13. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

Of course not. With ficitional charakters you can, atleast in some cases, see there backstorys, motivations and so on (or people create haed-canons about it). This can help to understand and or relate to those charakters. In real life you usualy don´t get that close, which makes them alot less interesting. Also some people love to see redemption-arcs.

14. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, that wasnt a literal question.

15. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

OK, just felt like answering.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Only if it stars Rung.

• Like Like x 1
  17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

What's our operational definition of "evil"?

Early definitions are anything that does harm (to you or your group). Has he been genuinely harmful to the Autobots? Yes.

My personal definition is the willingness to knowingly, unnecessarily, cause harm and suffering to others for selfish reasons. Does he do that? Yes.

There's not really room for a "genuinely" qualifier here--either you harm or you don't. So I think by most measures, yes, Starscream is truly evil.

Who says genuinely evil people can't change and be redeemed? It's not like evil is some essential, immutable quality. It's the sum of our actions.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Starscream in Prime's version is a complicated bunch. I believe so. He has an unhealthy lust for power, has backstabbed heis leader more times than Optimus Primal said "Well that's just prime" and a major liar.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

The show feels like it stands alone and only pulls plot elements from prime when it needs some sort of McMuffin to push it along

20. NaSMaX

NaSMaX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    In regards to megatron I really like the court room scene in the current run of IDW's series when he broke down Megatron as a tin-pot dictator to weak to ring in his troops and properly lead and not smart enough to prevent their rebellion from falling into all out war, therefore ultimately innocent of his crimes. It tells me of his mindset in regards to Megatron, that he if he was in charge the decepticons would have won and better been less brutal to boot. That kinda arrogance is a clear sign of an evil mind.