Customs: Is sanding a good substitute?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by The621, Dec 10, 2011.

1. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Now, I realize that all Transformers figures, official, thirdparty, knockoff, or whatever have some tack or mold release on them that will only disappear with soapy water, and rubbing alcohol.

I was wondering if sanding the parts down is a good substitute in place of soaking the pieces in soapy water and rubbing alcohol?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Well, the tack is made to be somewhat fluid, even when solid, to allow the parts to be released. So it's like sticky jelly, it's solid but still able to flex. So in essence you're trying to sand jelly. And that, while it could work, would be impractical.

I'd still use the soapy water, as the soap is designed to be able to remove grease.

Still, that's just my 2cents. Maybe someone else will know more about the chemistry behind it.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Soaking in dish soap works fine for this. With sandpaper, you run the risk of damaging the figure. Unless you know you're going to paint those parts completely, I don't see the harm. However, I'd think to use sanding JUST to help prime the parts, not to just remove the factory gunk.

4. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

Sanding is not a good substitute for cleaning. Reason being is that you end up pushing the contaminants into the plastic.

A wax and grease remover (Pre-kleeno) cuts fast and doesn't damage regular plastics. It is, however, a little too strong for styrene. There are also waterbased wax and grease removers out there but require a lil more effort. I've currently got a "How to" on prep work start to finish underway so if there's any specific questions on the matter, post em here and I'll try to address them in the tut.
    I'm an autobody tech by trade and having a clean surface for any paint job is a priority in my line of work.

5. The621

News Credits:
    Thanks all. I'm giving it a try tonight. I've dumped old junker G1 parts and KOs into a cup of soapy water for about 1 night now. Let's see how it turns out and if any grease will rise up from the plastics.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Usually, an overnight bath does the trick :) 

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I would never sand just to clean something. I'd only ever sand if I was trying to smooth out a surface or to prevent paint rub.

Warm soapy water, a degreaser such as goo-gone, a tooth brush, and a little elbow grease typically does the trick for me.

8. NexMortuus

NexMortuus Well-Known Member

well it could i have done it but careful theres many grades of sandpaper depending on which one you use (i think its the 100 grade) that is rough as heck will mess up and scratch up your toys, In general, But if you use like the 300-400 those are the smoothest one (i think that is the scale higher number means softer sandpaper) that would tae out the tack or mold release

9. The621

News Credits:
    The parts have sat over for about a day. I've brushed them off with a toothbrush. I don't see anything like a residue or gunk running off the G1 vintages. Same goes for the KO parts. Did I fail to soak the parts in boiling water and soap? If I do that, then they'd just twist and contort.

I remember one of the comic book shop keepers telling me old plastic that's 30 years old needs only sanding. So is there a step missing?

Really odd there's no gunk rising up...

And thanks again, guys.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    It's probably dissolved into the water itself.

Also, just what kind of plastic is that shop keeper talking about? Even for really old plastics, a good soak is all I can imagine being necessary to clean toy plastic.

11. The621

News Credits:
    The same ABS material G1 Gestalts plastics are made of. He told me that judging by the way that the plastic is over 2 decades old, wasn't taken care of, and not recent, he said that sanding and rubbing alcohol go hand in hand on those. Though he said newer toys needed a different treatment.

12. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Just a little note here, when you sand your going to create dust which is never good for painting and you end up having to wash it anyway.