Is ROTF Rampage really that bad?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SimonMK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched a video review and his robot mode look cool to me, especially his whip weapon but its didn't show any of his articulation.

Then I read a text review which gave a low score for having no elbow articulation and spring-loaded legs.

I can understand the disappointment for no elbow articulation but what does the spring-load legs do to be bad? I know its for the Jackhammer mode. Does it make it that Rampage has no knee articulation as well?

Beside ROTF Rampage being yellow instead of red like in the movie, is he movie accurate? I don't remember seeing a huge back with two back legs making him look like a entaur and his front legs look like they were always together like the Jackhammer mode.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I think this figure is awesome!!!. I'm very impressed with the level of detail to the mold, and the fact that his primary "robot" mode is some kind of insect-thing. This figure is different than alot of other TFs. I have Rampage displayed next to Demolisher, and they look great together. He has a very sinister look to him. He really looks like some kind of nightmare, moster-looking, robot alien. This is one of my favorite ROTF figures. His level of difficulty - IMO - is high. As fas as "movie accurate", not to so much. Loosely based. For me, thats not a big deal. Overall I think this is great figure, and a great addition to any collection, wheather into the movie stuff, or not. The uniqueness of his design, and the satafaction of a somewhat-complicated transformation = easy win.

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

There's some people out there who will always overemphasize the short comings of a figure and then say that it's garbage because of it.

Rampage isn't the best transformer when it comes to articulation, but he's still a really neat fig just for his unique transformation and character design.

He's still my favorite deluxe in the ROTF line next to Wheelie.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

He's got a unique robot mode. That's a good thing. I'm all for experimentation. But he's lacking in basic articulation, partly because of the rather pointless jackhammer mode. That's a bad thing. I don't find him to be a fun figure to transform, which is also a bad thing. His alt mode is alright, but then we expect that from the ROTF line, seeing as it's full of real world vehicles. The cons listed outweigh his single pro: that he's unique. Do I regret buying him? Hmm. I've got some ideas on how to use him if I ever do a photocomic, and there wasn't anything else in store I wanted that day, so a weak "not really" is the best I can do. Would I recommend him? No. There's so many better figures to spend your cash on.

5. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    In the movie he's always in alt and jackhammer mode.
    I wanna see a pic of him with his whips around someones neck.( Selling point right there ^_^)

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Do it.

Do it now.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Rampage is AMAZING if you do what this website says... Hint: it involves Krazy Glue and X-Acto Knife. Hint #2: it involves elbows and knees.

8. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    He has a cool design but besides that he's a pretty bad figure, even if you do mod elbows on him. He's hard as hell to stand up, has a big kibble pack which always pops off, and the transformation like most movie figures is not fun at all

9. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    u just need to buy 2 and give him feet and fold up the crab legs....
    [​IMG]

10. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I like him. I think he looks cool, and has a lot of detail like others have said. I am partial to construction vehicles, because I am a contractor, so take it with a grain of salt.

11. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Whoa! That is pretty awesome. Looks like I'm buying another Rampage (who is actually pretty hard to find now)

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno. I certainly find more cons than pros with this figure. There just isn't much to do with him apart from move his arms at the shoulders a bit. Stuff on mine seems a bit loose as well.
    I'd make Rampage and Soundwave fight each other to see which is most disappointing, but I think the outcome would be more disappointing.
    Are you going to make someone ride him like a horsey?

13. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    He looks really cool with feet. However, I must say that this is the single most disappointing thing in the line.

14. Optimus Sledge

*adds to list of comedic uses for Rampage*

15. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Rampage is great. Not perfect, but so great. Yes, he has his downfalls, but he's still a cool little toy. Up points I'd give would be his spot on vehicle mode or course, his tread whips which rock (and put ol'Jolt's dinky plastic twigs to shame), and he's got a fugload of movie accuracy to him. Sure, the back legs bit isn't in the film but it still kicks ass in that (1) it allows a pose-worthy Jackhammer mode and (2) it gives the potential for a four legged Transformer (something there's jus simply not enough of - I love the occasional quad-leg design in a robot). The only down points I could give would be the lack of elbow articulation (but with the whips it sort of retains the effect, so now huge downer there), the face (but that's a general design issue with the Bayformer Cons I have), and the fact the back legs/brace comes off so easily. I can understand the ability to remove it, it makes sense, but at times it'll plop right off with barely any pressure to it. Oh, and there's the fact he isn't red. Lots of love loss from me on that one.

Still, he's definitely a pick-it-up item. :thumbs2: 

16. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I see him as the Transformers version of Marmite. You tend to either love him or hate him. Or spread him on hot toast.

17. Optimus Sledge

Melting him under hot grill wouldn't make him much worse.

18. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Hey, it surprised me that I liked him too. Bought one for the kiddo, after checking it out I ran out and nabbed me one. But he's the only Constructicon from the film I plan to buy. I don't desire any of the others at all. It would be nice to see this level of Constructicon toy glory given to the Universe line. Given the types of designs & forms they use there (melding traditional oldschool with updated design) they could likely obtain a set that has that vehicle/bot/combiner mode well.

Now if they'd done that with the individual Constructicons of RotF, my feelings for Devastator aside I might have still considered purchasing.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Is there a G1 green and purple repaint in the works?
    But he's such a yummy cheesy colour.

20. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Who else thinks Sledge should just make a comic strip about himself?

The first day the movie toys went on sale,I bought Rampage,and I haven't bought a transformer toy since. Universe Galvatron and the movie 1 figures were bad enough,but this thing is not even a transformer,it's a statue,since I will NEVER be able to make it back into a vehicle.
    I don't like animated either,so I guess if I buy anything it'll be a legends or a robot hero,at least until the new Universe stuff comes out.