Is ROTF Leader Jetfire worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wuffles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Wuffles

Wuffles Well-Known Member

Hey all. Let me start this off by saying that I started late on TF Collecting, but have recently picked up ROTF Leader Optimus and HFTD Leader Starscream on clearance at Walmart for $16 a piece. So today I see ROTF Leader Jetfire at K-Mart. I only really want it to combine with Optimus or maybe to put in ALT mode with Screamer, but its $39.99 there.

So my question is, is Jetfire worth it when I just got the other two for much cheaper? Is it a good figure? Any pics of Jetfire or him combined with Optimus would be great!

Thanks for any help :) 

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's a ... divisive figure.

He's got a pretty solid robot mode, a huge Blackbird mode (but with fairly standard jet underbelly kibble), but his transformation scheme is rather frustrating, with a number of easy to pop-off panels on his back having to slot together perfectly.

The official combination with Prime is pretty lame, but there are a number of fan-mode variations that actually manage to make it look pretty cool, if still inaccurate.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just don't get him if you want a good alt mode. He's decent outside of that.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

i think the robot mode sucks, it's either displayed in blackbird mode for the sheer extravagant size or combined with prime. i'd highly recommend twisting prime's feet around when combined, it looks slightly more accurate and gives him more leg articulation. so if you're expecting a good robot mode, don't, it's mediocre at best because the other 2 configurations are so much better.

5. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think he's worth it. He's not a truly bad figure, but he's not very good either. His robot mode is okay aside from having weak leg joints that make it very hard to prevent him from falling over backwards. His vehicle mode, while quite impressive in terms of size and good-looking from the top, has some of the worst undercarriage kibble I can think of. Finally, what is by far the worst part of him (in my opinion), is his exceedingly frustrating transformation. It's not complicated, but it's near impossible to get the parts lined up properly for vehicle mode.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Totally agreed. I didn't mind how the combined mode looked, but how it's done was pretty uninteresting. If you liked the character in the movie I can still recommend him though. Jetfire is a nice looking figure...just not a good Transformer toy, IMO.
    (I sold mine off when one of the belts for combining snapped.)

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jetfire is one of those figures I think looks decent on display (even if inaccurate) but isn't very fun to play with. The combined mode may be massively cool at first, but it gets very tedious to transform Jetfire as there are many popping parts and clearance issues.

So overall, I like the combined mode or the robot mode for display, but it's no fun to play with.

8. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    But...but that is Movie accurate! :( 

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've personally never had an issue with the figure's stability. He stands just fine.

Or are you not hunching him over, like he's supposed to be?

10. Wuffles

Wuffles Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys, I think I might pass on him for awhile and see if the price goes down some more. The more expensive TF toys seem to sit around here for awhile anyway.

Thanks again.

11. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    A lot of panels fall off him, but that's just movie accuracy and that's why I love him.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I keep mine in Jet mode chillin in the seeker graveyard.

He looks awesome next to all the MP Seekers and the 2 movie leader Starscreams.

13. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    @$39.99, that's cheap nowadays. It's great to go with Leader Optimus and in Jet mode. Not really into Jetfire in bot mode.

14. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I bought mine at $39.99 at the last minute and don't regret my purchase at all.
    He has some of the best paint detail I've ever seen.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's a second-rate figure for sure, especially compared to Optimus and Starscream. It's good to have one, but I did find it a bit of a disappointment.

Altmode is epic though.

16. beeswipe9

beeswipe9 Well-Known Member

For 39.99 i think its a pretty good deal, cool jet mode from top view, the kibbles below it is kinda annoying, decent robot mode, and personally i'm in love with the optimus jetfire combination, i think its pretty cool. I suggest you get it. =)

17. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:

Yea, you might want to scoop him up now before you regret it, you already got the other 2 for real cheap so $40 for one more big guy shouldn't kill you. Jet mode makes a great display piece.

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I quite like him. The Jet mode is huge and I find him fun to fiddle with. The combined mode is also nice, but it's not a deal breaker/maker.

You may want to reconsider. Right now on Ebay a sealed ROTF Jetfire fetches between $80 and $120 bucks. It's better to buy it now for $40, find out you don't like it and flip it, than buying it later for $$$ and finding out you don't like it.

19. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

He is one of my most hated movie purchases and I was glad when I sold mine. I say he's a big pass.

20. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For 40 dollars I'd get him. I own two of this mold, one for Buster Prime and one for Jetfire alone. He's a good figure only bad thing I can think of aside from the arm/etc. kibble in alt mode is that he has weak knees. I'd take out the batteries to lighten him up a bit, but his cane actually does help balance him. Pretty character accurate if you really think about it. So get him, he looks pretty massive combined and I wouldn't miss out if I was you. You could always try and find a used one for a few dollars less I imagine, if thats your style.