Is "Reveal The Shield" A Failure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paladin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The more I think about it the more it seems to me that Reveal the Shield hasn't been a very good line.

Most of the molds I've gotten from this have been disappointing in some way-

*Jazz is severely lacking in paint apps & his overall transformation (the inability to lock in at the torso) feels weak.

*Wreck-Gar suffers from bad QC resulting in stress marks or in some cases breakage.

*Perceptor is a bit like Jazz; lame transformation and overall not a very exciting figure

*Tracks is easily the best in the line IMO but even he isn't flawless- the feet on mine are way too flimsy.

And I don't own G2 Laser Prime from this line but everyone I've talked to has classified the mold as a jumbly, flawed piece of junk.

Since Hasbro hasn't announced any more releases for this line (beyond the as-yet-unreleased Scouts & Voyagers) and Toyfair reports stated that they would continue with Generations figures, is it possible RTS hasn't worked out the way everyone hoped?

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm assuming! But maybe the repaints Reflector & Scrapheap will be the next wave of RTS? Plus we still need a Rumble or Frenzy repaint I'd bet they'd be RTS as well?

3. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I think your Wreck-Gar description is unfair. I haven't read anyone report breakage due to the stressed shoulder peg. People have reported breakage of the handlebars due to not using the automorph on the right leg properly. My Wreck-Gar has no stress and the automorph works like a champ.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Well, the only two I've got is Rodimus and Cyclonus from their twin-pack at Wal-Mart.
    So far, I see no issues but I haven't transformed them yet either.
    They do look awesome in their robot mode though, and their rub-sign works pretty well. Actually, I like the way their rub-sign look's a lot more than the original 1980's rub-sign.

5. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    The only failure is the stores not getting them quick enough. I do agree on Jazz lacking paint.
    Also why is Jazz and Tracks are not in Generations?

6. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The fact I can't find the blooming things around here points in the direction of it being a success.

I love Jazz, get over the hood chest, it's a small floor on an otherwise awesome toy. (who holds the toy by the waist or legs when moving the arms anyway?) it's not such a problem if you leave the speakers attached to the door like in vehicle mode then close them up on top of the windscreen. Paint apps is an issue for sure though.

G2 Prime looks disappointing to me because the blue on his cab and the clear orange look out of place. Windcharger is love though.

For me, Tracks is the disappointing one, his feet are far too floppy and he just doesn't feel like tracks. Generations Wheeljack looks far better though.

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I don't think it's a failure, other than just the fact that the 'Reveal' part is a joke (is Strafe an Autobot? I still don't know...), because we have gotten quite a few good figures out of a line that would have been canceled if Hasbro hadn't opted to release the remaining designs. The biggest failure really has been the limited availability. Plus we have been complaining about QC since the release of Movie 1 figures and on, so I'm not even counting that as a logical argument anymore.

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Same here. The only RtS toys I can find are at the grocery store near me, and the only RtS character they have is Mindset. :banghead:  Stupid Ohio toy distribution...

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think RtS is a failure. Yes some of the toys have design flaws but what toy dosen't? to me RtS is just an extension of Generations, figures they made but couldn't fit into that assortment.

10. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

Mold wise RTS is fantastic, that said hasbro made some less then questionable decisions with it

- Jazz paint job is even below KO standards
    - perceptor needs a gun
    - The theme reviel the shield is outdated, i don't care one bit for the G1 style reveal side decals, give me proper faction symbols

Hence i bought United jazz and tracks but i stick with wreck gar and perceptor from hasbro because of the few difference with the takara versions

This line is aimed at collectors so hasbro should but some effort in it.

In conclusion it still beats everything i saw for the 3rd movie, it just that takara treats fans with more respect and so hasbro will miss about 1/2 of their sales to me.

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think RTS is FAR from being a failure.

The figures it released were well received in this community of fandom anyways:

Tracks? People love him.
    Jazz? People love him.
    Wreck-gar? Almost everyone's getting two so he can ride himself.
    Perceptor? Its actually a very decent mold, I think a lot of ppl are going for him, too.

Lets not forget Windcharger, Grapple, and the like, and how everyone is waiting for them to hit stores. I agree with what was said before about the only thing it failed is the distribution.

Hasbro did a "line" that is catered to fixing up some G1 update design, and really, I personally love the line.

12. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Hasbro disrespects any of us, otherwise wouldn't be getting any updated G1 characters like this.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Because by shipping them out in the RtS line Hasbro can get twice as many new Classics out there at once.

My only complaint with RtS is lack of distribution and that's not in anyway Hasbro's fault.

14. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fans: "We want a classics Jazz!"
    Hasbro: "Ok, here you go!"
    Fans: "WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH"

Fans: "We want a classics Tracks!"
    Hasbro: "Ok, here you go!"

Fans: "We want a Leader Blackout!"
    Hasbro: "Well, it really isn't warranted..."

I mean, I'm not pointing fingers but damn this fanbase is a finicky bunch.

15. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. This line is aimed at kids, because Hasbro could not make any money out of aiming a line soley at collectors. As it is, Hasbro really goes above and beyond in what they do for the collectors. But, sure, Hasbro is doesn't respect you. That is a really, really lame statement.

EDIT: I think a lot of you guys don't understand that Hasbro is a business, and everything they do has to be in the best interest of the business in order to survive. I'm sure they didn't mean to rape your childhood, but unfortunately childhoods get raped every now and then when a company has to decided to save on a bit of paint in order to increase shareholder equity, or not release a leader blackout when it has massive failure written all over it, it is done as a business decision and not in the spirit of - say it with me - raping your childhood (or adulthood, as now seems to the the case).

So much butthurt and ignorance because grown men don't get the toys they want exactly how they want them when they want them. Come on, guys, it's not that deep. Don't be "that guy"; we're already nerds at least show some semblence of common sense.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  16. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

My only problem is that I haven't seen any in stores yet (Other than wave 1 in Kohl's). I'm hoping that they don't just skip over it completely.

17. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I don't think it's a failure at all. There are always going to be "design flaws" and QC issues. There is no way that Hasbro will ever make a figure that will be perfect in the fandom's eyes, but they've come damn close with this lineup IMO.

I currently have Prime, Wreck-Gar, Perceptor, Bumblebee, Jazz and Tracks.

Here's my list in order of awesome:
    Tracks
    Jazz
    Wreck-Gar
    Perceptor
    Bumblebee
    Prime

Of course, this is all just my opinion so take it for what you will...

18. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All my RTS figures are great! Jazz lacks paint which is a shame, and WTF is with tracks' flames? I have heard the QC stories about these figures, and mine are really tight I have found that Hasbro seems to be trying to fix the QC issues. (Takara's QC is terrible for the most part) The only issue I have with the RTS is that the box has the faction symbol on it, and states if the robot is an Autobot or decepticon.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree. We need to be grateful and the updates that Hasbro have done for us so far.

20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RTS a failure? No. Some of the best molds are coming out of this line. The only thing I can find wrong with it is distribution.

The last time I saw anything new (before Kohl's getting wave 1 in, that is) was back when Walgreens and K-Mart were getting them. And that was Black Friday. I haven't seen jack squat new anything since then.

If the distribution doesn't pick up, then yeah, it could definitely crash and burn. Not everyone can order online, there are some who refuse, and kids know nothing of BBTS and stores like it.

As for the figures themselves...pure awesomesauce.