Is remaining a loyal fan all these years really worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    I've been a fan since it all hit in the 80's. I was five years old and before I even saw my first episode, I stood agape at the 30 foot wall of Transformers toys at our neighborhood Target store.

My mother simply said, without my even begging for a toy, "I'll let you choose, but you may only choose one! And you have to stick with that kind from now on!" And she gave me the choice between GIJoe and Transformers.

The lime greens, the royal blues, the deep purples and reds and silvers and the fact that each toy was technically two toys in one, WITH special powers like "REAL FIRING WEAPON" and TECH SPECS and COLLECT POINTS FOR SPECIAL OFFERS! I was hooked, plain and simple.

I grabbed G1 Bumblebee, my very first Transformer toy and asked if it cost too much... the cheapest one on the shelf, even though I didn't realize it.

My mother bought me my very first one. I remember all my firsts. The first Transformer my late grandfather bought me was Mixmaster. The first Transformer I bought for myself with my own money was Skywarp and the first Transformer I got at Christmas was Omega Supreme from my grandmother (now 93) and Optimus Prime from my parents.

My grandparents pretended to hate Transformers but always bought me the biggest and most expensive ones.

I was despised and ridiculed and even beat up for being a Transformer fan in my school. I used to trade and sell my loose with missing parts and broken Transformers to what I then thought were "idiots" a few grades lower than me and now I find that even loose, the ones I sold are worth WAY MORE than I got for them. And what did I spend the money on??? Cokes and candy. I was the idiot.

And then Transformers left me and then returned and then left again and then returned in the comics and then left and then the toys would change again and again and again and even when they started really getting "imaginitive" with the Transformers designs, I remained a fan. And then silence from them for years and then Beast Wars aired and I was hooked again, but not like I was when it started. And then IT left me hanging. And then all these new TF shows came and I've just not really got the interest anymore. I assumed it was because my maturity has finally caught up with my age, and I've tried to get my children interested in it and they kind of like the toys and the old shows and some of the new stuff, but just not obsessed with it like I was. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad. But when I found that they were finally making toys like they used to when the ALTs came out and the CLASSICS, I got hooked again. And then the announcement of a REAL movie with GOOD actors (or so I assumed) finally got me back feeling like a kid again.

And yes, I was proud to have been a loyal, faithful fan amid the criticism from school and my family and friends and even my wife at times... until I watched the movie.

And THIS is the reward I get for being faithful?!? A movie with a plothole filled script and bad acting and more plotholes and my favorite side doesn't even get lines or really even any screentime at all?!? What the freak? I should be glad that we got a movie at all, right? I mean, in the interview with Peter Cullen on the TFgame site, he says that there wouldn't even be a game or movie or anything else if it weren't for guys like those of us here! So why reward us with no explanation as to why Brawl's name was changed to Devastator and why none of the best fights in the movie can be seen cuz of shaky cam and why Barricade disappears?!? Couldn't the guys who wove this wonderful on-line dialogue with us about our concerns and what-not and asssured us as they were writing the story about things such as "the relationship between Starscream and Megatron will be the same as the G1 show" and they only have half of a minute of dialogue between each other, have warned us that we were going to be let down? Yes, there was a REAL movie and YES it had wonderful effects and YES Peter Cullen was there (but sadly the few minutes with the Autobots is about the only part of the movie that really felt like Transformers to me). And my favorite scenes are the very scenes the critics say were just giant toy commercials. Well, dangit I LOVE TOY COMMERCIALS!!!

If we are loyal fans than give us what we deserve with the sequals!!! Stop feeding us Wal-Mart-brand groceries in place of the BRAND NAMES!!!

I mean this is TRANSFORMERS not GOBOTS or MASK, for crying out loud. No offense to the fans of those shows.

GIJOE and the TRANSFORMERS SEQUALS BETTER ROCK WITH A VENGEANCE!

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Great post.

I had a slight cheeser smile when I was watching the new knight rider, but as the show went on....kinda developed into a frown.

Transformers meant alot to me in my youth, and Im still trying to hold on to those days. I had high hopes from the movie as well, but it's got to do with age for sure.

I had hoped for some maturity, and better scenes, and lines. All this and that about the movie is for the kids...man I feel it could've represented alot more at the same time.
    I want the sequel to rock hard. Bay needs to kill that feeling of sequels not being better than the original.

3. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I love 75% of it, I hate 25%. I just have to deal with the 25%.

4. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Basically there is no 'reward' for being a loyal fan becuase the powers that be know you will lap up whatever they push in your direction with the TF name on it, regardles of weather its good or bad. Best thing you can do its vote with you wallet and not lend your support to that which offends you.

I hated the movie, it was IMO abismal, I hated the plot, the characters, the design, the acting, the fact the Transformers seem to have bit parts in a human-centric alien invasion/disaster movie rather than take the central roles. So i didnt buy any of the toys or merchendising, exactly what I'd do if I hated any other movie, I denied it my attention and expendature. All the movie has done is reduce my loyalty to the brand, I know Hasbro dont care but at least I feel like I've done the right thing. I'll by Transformers in the future but I don't feel nearly as passionate about it as I once did.

Yours AK

5. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I was never really critisized for being a fan, I'm proud of being who I am. And yes, every minute day, week and year of your life is worth it loving Transformers. No other TV show or franchise has inspired me greater than Transformers has.

For the movie? Yes the movie had it's share of flaws, though they were quite a few... I still loved the movie regardless. There were plotholes like Barricade's disapperance and the shaky camera in some scenes, but the only design I didn't like was Starscream's design but seriously... who likes the awesome screamer as an apechicken anyway? Most of all, I really wished the Transformers had more of a primary role than the humans did, that was sort of dissapointing. I don't think the movie was terrible, but let's just hope the sequel will be way better.

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

What I wanna know is why:

Transforming F-22=:thumbs2: 

Transforming F-15=:thumbdown 

What the hell is THAT about Bay???

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you didn't stand by Transformers during Armada/Energon then you haven't been truely faithful, and really, you'll take what Hasbro dish out and like it.

Muhuhahah. Only kidding.

Seriously though, the problem with nostalgia is that you see the past through rose tinted glasses. Whatever it was that made your Grandparents hate Transformers then, is what you can see today, but as a kid you ignored.

8. alex_kingdom

I have no idea what you are talking about or why you quoted me.

Yours AK

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

You said you hate the movie designs. I was saying that an F-22 works but Bay said the original F-15 design for Starscream won't work. WHY??? If a transformer can scan an F-22 they can just as easily scan an F-15. So what would an F-15 transformer look like in the movie universe? ILM can do an F-15 as easily as an F-22. So WTF???

In other words they should've stayed closer to the original G1 designs & not strayed so far into left field. I was agreeing with you in a round about way.

Okay, I fixed the original quote so it would make more sense.

10. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Edit...........my bad.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  11. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'm trying to figure out how an F-22 is so far off base from an F-15. They're both really fast jets with weapons used by the military. I'd have to see the context that prompted Bay's response about the original F-15 design not working for the movie.

As for the movie: I liked it well enough despite its flaws and I'm happy it made the money it did. The first film was sort of an introductory piece and we got to see them introduced through the eyes of humans. Something that people, in general, may be able to relate to moreso than giant robots appearing out of nowhere all of a sudden. Remember, it's a different continuity, which it sounds like you understand, and it also had to appeal to the casual movie goer and not just us fans. So for the casual movie goer, it helped that they were eased into this than just hitting them straight away with full-blown nothing but robot action/interaction. Logically, the next movie should have more TF scenes, which I thought was stated somewhere.

It's the same thing we saw in the IDW comics where the first few issues focused on Verity, Hunter, and Jimmy finding out about TFs and what they're all about. Now, in the current issues, while the humans still play a role, it's not nearly as prominent as it was in the beginning when we were finding out what TFs are like in that continuity. The TFs took the spotlight, but the humans helped us understand the basics of who they are.

Ummm...Is being a TF fan worth it? It's enjoyable for me and takes my mind off the crap I deal with day-to-day. So as long as it remains that way, I'd say it's worth it.

12. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Coz the F22 is the most modern American fighter jet. F15 isnt.
    (F15 looks nicer imo)

13. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem is not Transformers but your attitude.

You are not owed any reward or anything in general just because you have "cared" about Transformers and have been following and buying the figures since you were a child.

That means nothing, it's a toy line for kids with some accompanying fiction, not some loyalty club that rewards you for being a "fan".

It's precisely this horrible sense of overimportance and ego that a small group of fans seem to have about this franchise.

The live action Transformers movie was made for the mass audience, not just the guy who sits on the internet message board complaining about why Hasbro can't release a Classics Thundercracker or why a certain figure is the wrong shade of red. It was never a "reward" for these loyal fans you're harping on about. Shame you didn't like it but well thats too bad.

The movie did what it set out to do and it did it wonderfully well.

So to sum up, you're not entitled to any reward simply because it doesn't work like that. Hasbro throws the fans enough nice little bones here and there with figures, paint decos, homages, hell all the nice little nods in Animated.

If those aren't enough for you, well then it's tough I'm afraid.

14. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I dont think I really understand the OP. You are asking if being a fan is truly worth it but 95% of the post is you complaining about the movie.
    In my opinion, yes I think being a fan is worth it. I admit that I went through a down time with energon but I still stuck with it and the reason is I'm a true fan that takes the good and the bad all the same.
    As far as the whole ........
    I dont think that maturity has a thing to do with it and when someone says this it always bothers me (not saying that you ment this in a negative way, just the way I took it). We have alot of very mature people here. I know military members, engineers, pre med, and alot of other highly respected professsions. I for on am a 25 year old male that is a SWAT team member with the police department I work for. I think alot of maturity comes along with my job. I have a wife, kids, cars, house. I think that maturity should not be an issue.

15. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    QFT. Just what I was gonna post.

Why on earth some people think that buying toys and watching cartoons for 20 years means they deserve anything more than the toys they have bought and the entertainment they have watched is completely beyond me.

If you didn't like the film, so what? I enjoyed it for what it was, and it wasn't MY idea of the perfect Transformers film, but it would have been ridiculously self-important of me to believe for even a second that MY idea of a perfect film is the only acceptable outcome, just because I have bought some toys.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  16. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

THAT'S the reason? Just because it's newer means they had to screw up the entire character??? Not too many people like the chicken/ape Starscream design. They could've kept the designs closer to the originals & still made a movie that the general audience would like.The Decepticons didn't need to look like animals, before Megatron betrayed them they were all one big happy family, they all looked similar. I mean what? The Decepticons all of a sudden grew fangs & claws after Megatron turned evil? That makes no sense at all. It's not like the movie would bomb just because an F-15 was in it. Hell, even F-16's showed up for no reason at all.

I just don't understand the logic behind Hollywood big wigs. They make no sense. "oh, well this is a movie, a movie is totally different than anything else, a movie cannot look anything like the original source material, if it resembles the original material it will automatically fail, so we need to change every character so you can't even recognize them." It worked really well for Godzilla, you'd think they would eventually learn from their mistakes.

17. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

It's two centuries after G1. I for one applaud them for updating the "designs."

Besides, F-15's wouldn't fit back into the old F-22-shaped package. That's a good thing *wink*

18. alex_kingdom

I see, well it wasnt the vehicle modes that bothered me, they were fine it was obvious from day one that they would be updated, ti was the giant twisted metal walking junk yard the transformed into I didnt like so much. Besides the designs being unattractive was a good thing IMO becuase not liking them aesthetically made it a hell of a lot easier not to buy any of them.

Like others have said Hasbro doesn't own the fans anything, they can do WTF the want with the brand. The movie was a comercial success, generated many new fans in many ways its ensured the brand will live on for another 20 years. I didn't like it but I can see that, however it has made this once hardcore Transfan quite indifferent to the brands future direction.

Yours AK

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    QFT!!!! To be perfectly honest, I think we're lucky that the Transformers brand is still around, let alone all the nods and homages that we get year after year. As for some of the decisons made for the movie, I have no problems with them, as I love the movie. I personally think that more G1-ish designs would have looked like a joke on the big screen.

20. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Oy. The movie's close to a year old by this point, and we're STILL getting these sort of posts? Get over yourselves, already people. Nevermind that it was a qualified success and did EXTREMELY well, they must have done something right.

And it makes perfect sense that they'd use F-22s. They scan the most advanced fighter at the time. During the 1980's, it was the F-15. It's no longer the 80's and the most advanced fighter is the F-22. The comic changed them to F-22's for the same reason, although they kept a more G1 inspired robot mode. Insisting they keep the EXACT same vehicle modes, including vehicles you no longer even SEE much anymore, just to keep things for some fan derived definition of 'Pure' smacks of elitist fan-wankery of the worse kind.