Is PROWL a bad cop analog? (IDW)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tankhunter48, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Tankhunter48

Tankhunter48 Trailcreeper

I saw a Facebook post in a tf group about how Prowl in IDW is a bad cop analog based on the things he's done. That list included bombing a city, leaving the autobots, becoming a part of Devastator, putting Overlord on the Lost Light, and more.

I however see it as Prowl being out for himself, and not so much about him being a crooked cop. Bombing a city was to stir up AUTOBOT ranks, which is his faction. Becoming a part of Devastator was originally not of his own will, but gives him a strike force to carry out his actions. Putting Overload on the Lost Light... maybe he was bad for that.

In any case, I can see where the argument comes from, but I don't agree with it. Prowl was never really a police analogue to begin with. His official title is as a Strategist and Analyst, which lends itself to that kind of work. True, he has the paint scheme and held the office, but that doesn't mean he fits that motif after leaving cybertron.

I dunno. Discuss if you want I suppose.

Attached Files:

2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

On the police side, early in RID he did have a lot of say on how they were handling the Decepticons and Nails- at the time, a police job. And heck, he coined the term Nail. He arrested Skywarp. He sent Arcee after Ratbat.

So yea, he's a bit of a bad cop.

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

To loosely quote Denzel Washington, Prowl is the police, he runs shit on Cybertron, the Nails just live there. King Kong ain't got shit on Prowl.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Calvatron

Calvatron Active Member

He's sorta a bad cop. More i think he's a ranking officer who has forgotten the limits of imperfection due to his obsessionn with details, and as such stops enforcing the law believing he can enforce justice instead. Classic corruption of character rather just being corrupt to begin with. So caught up with all the trees he's fogotten his job was to protect the forest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Calvatron

Calvatron Active Member

Though on the plus side, atleast he's not out for personal gain. He's always got that, which means redemption is always within reach. They started to do that with his spotlight, but costa sucked with tf's so that went nowhere....

• Like Like x 1
  6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

TBH, I don't want Prowl to be redeemed. I like the way he was written by Roche, Barber in early RiD, and in MTMTE before he met up with Fort Max and Red.

7. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Well-Known Member

I thought the stereotypical "bad cop" was one works both sides of the equation. He generally upholds the law, at least on the surface, but he's willing to look the other way for a fee or a favor. Prowl, in contrast, seems more like a Police State analogue. He certainly ran Cybertron like one, although who knows how much of that was due to Bombshell's influence. Ever since, he has been increasingly paranoid, willing to overstep his authority, and ultimately fine with sacrificing lives, even innocent ones - all so he can "keep the peace." Whatever the hell that is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

I think he's definitely a bad cop analog during the first half of exrid but beyond that more than anything else I think Prowl is just supposed to be perceived as an arrogant, manipulative, jerk. He's someone who's far up their own ass because of their supposed superiority and intelligence to others.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I have never once heard of a cop doing any of those things. Bombing a city? Never mind becoming part of a combiner. Someone on Facebook doesn't know what analog means.

• Like Like x 5
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Fans like to make comparrisons between things they don't understand and claim it was an analogy/metaphor/symbolism a lot.

If Prowl was supposed to be a "bad cop" he'd be a stereotypical brutish, power-absusing crook on the take so-to-speak. Someone who hides behind his authority and only does the bad things he does because of the safety and freedom it grants him.

IDW Prowl is cold and calculating. Apathetically doing awful things or turning a blind eye in a misguided sense of justice and logic. He cannot see the trees for the forest as it were, focused so much on statistics and strategy he'll see widespread death and suffering as acceptable losses if it means moving closer to ending the war or achieving a goal he deems "worth it."

• Like Like x 4
  11. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say Whirl, for the most part, was a pre-war "Badcop".

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tankhunter48

Tankhunter48 Trailcreeper

That was literally my whole argument with the guy. That's Prowl's character. He sees his goal and takes the steps he seems necessary to achieve them. He's killed to keep his secrets and others' safe. He forces people to run because he knows they'll interfere.

On top of that the original guy kept talking about how this was a recent thing. This has been going on for ages. It's just IDW Prowl being IDW Prowl.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Prowl was the only Autobot trying to win the war as opposed to merely fighting it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. TGS1985

TGS1985 Well-Known Member

I don't think he'll ever be redeemed. He'll always be the a**hole no one likes but tolerates because he's fighting the good fight (for the most part). I just hope they continue to depict him as unapolegetic as ever for all he does.

Exactly, he's not the "bad cop", he's the realist.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I think a few of these apply to Prowl but not all of them. Prowl is in an alignment of his own. IDW Prowl was the most interesting villain character in all of Transformers IMO.

16. SteelWheels

SteelWheels Well-Known Member

I think Prowl's alignment varies depending on what he's trying to accomplish at that time. He's willing to bend his morality if needed and that kinda prevents him from fitting in any alignment perfectly. I wouldn't say that he's "evil" exactly and he's quickly slipping out of the "lawful" category too. I mean I've seen a 5x5 alignment chart before and I'd say in that one Prowl would probably be Social Impure.

And yes, he's definitely one of the most interesting characters. One of my favs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You've hit the head of the nail dead on.

18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If any thing I am going use D & D alignment system to describe Prowl. He is pretty much lawful in his out look on things Prowl is strong believer in order. IDW Prowl is he good I would not say as much because he would use his fellow Autobots to support his view what the law should be. Prowl used the system of Law to form the basis of what a person should act like he is not out for the benefit of society because the rule of law tantamount. I would place Prowl on Law Neutral or Lawful Evil bordering on that.

19. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

IDW Prowl is more like a manipulative CIA war criminal. If he truly was a bad cop and nothing more, he would have shot Jazz a long time ago and be taking bribes from Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  20. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Prowl is a good example of how the D&D alignment system is far too simplistic and restrictive to be very interesting (in my gaming days, I preferred systems without this sort of artificial character trait system). He isn't evil, or even neutral because everything he does is to promote the social good as he sees it. He does little, if anything, for his own selfish benefit. He isn't exactly good, because he's very willing to allow suffering if he sees it as ultimately advancing the public good. He certainly isn't chaotic, because he believes in and promotes a strong government presence. He isn't lawful, because he believes he, as a de facto representative of that government, has a right and obligation to step outside the bounds of the law to promote the public good as he interprets it. I suppose you could argue that makes him neutral on the L/C spectrum, but I think that's a stretch. Like many relatively well-written characters, he doesn't fit on that sort of simplistic grid.

I'd argue he isn't a bad cop, because he isn't a cop. The stereotypical cop, good or bad, is someone on the beat or in the field. Prowl is a guy behind a desk.

If you want to categorize Prowl by archetype, I think Smog has been very on point in describing him as a Magnificent Bastard. He's a Manipulator. He's an Extremist, in that he's willing to go to just about any length in pursuit of his (public, not selfish) agenda.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1