Is Optimus the political leader or just a squad leader

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jun 28, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

We know Megatron is the tyrant of the Decepticons, but what about Optimus? Was he the leader of the Autobots on Cybertron, part of a council or just a squad leader during the war?

2. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Good question. I believe the comics say that he's something along the lines of "Head of Science".

Edit: Wait, this is in the Prime discussion? :lol  Sorry, I thought this was in the movie forum.

3. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SkyQuake did say "I will never side with a Prime!"

to me this could mean that Optimus may not be the only Prime still functional. or he could've just been referring to the Prime lineage

4. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's movieverse.

Optimus is the leader of all the Autobots. The aligned continuity uses the traditional Prime status, not the Animated one.

5. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

As far as we know all the Autobots and Decepticons are scattered after Cybertron shutdown without an erg.

Supposedly Megatron left to bring in an army from space to Earth. Starscream asked where was the army. Megatron got sidetracked with Dark Energon.

As seen with Airachnid and Jackie they no longer take orders from their leaders. This means a breakdown in society among factions.

To them and many the Great War is over. Only Megatron's group and Optimus Prime's team it seems continues it.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder about that.

Optimus doesn’t seem like the type to make anyone do anything he/she didn’t already want to do. Optimus voices his opinions, but he doesn’t act as though his word is law. He didn’t order Bulkhead to save Breakdown and he didn’t order Wheeljack, who is still an Autobot to stay on Earth with them, instead, he told him that he would always be welcome to join them.

Megatron is a tyrant. Either get with his program or GTFO is his motto. He has no need for the weak, as evidenced by Breakdown’s capture two weeks ago. He corrects insolence as shown in Starscream’s punishment. I wonder what he’d do with Airachnid if the two ever came face to face (I think that days coming and I think she’ll decided to become a Decepticon again), but she has said more than once that she ISN’T a Decepticon, but acknowledges that she once was.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Prime is a milatary commander who has respect for his troops. So he's Alexander The Great without the conquering or dying young.

8. Thundersmacker

Thundersmacker More then meets the lie

I generally don't like Autobots and I generally don't like Optimus Primes. I could connect with G1 Prime because back then I was a 7 year old kid but ever since puberty I've pretty much loathed every incarnation of OP. Same goes for OP Prime, a political leader who actually believes his own BS. According to some prominent propagandist these kinds of characters are needed to fill the ranks of certain factions but are ultimately useless because they lack the sense to direct their fanatacism.

9. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    Thats...heavy. Is it so hard to think he's just trying to do the right thing? That might be a bit idealistic, but...c'mon. That's reading a bit too much into it.

10. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    That made my brain hurt. It's just a frikken kids show fer cryin' out loud.
    Besides, he's not developed enough at the moment for us to deduce anything about his character.

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't think we have enough information to really make that call. Optimus Prime could be the leader of all Autobots as the Supreme Commander, but I kind of think he'd have a larger retinue with him on hand than just a medic and a few young bots. He's obviously a regarded military leader of some sort, but at what level - we just don't know yet.

And based on Skyquake's refusal to obey "a Prime" - there may be more. Prime may just be a military rank in the Autobot hierarchy, as in Animated. Or it may be something more.

Then again, if Optimus is sporting the Matrix, I'd say he's the Big Kahuna himself.

12. Blurr ftw

Blurr ftw Quick draw

prime and exodus ran together according to alot of people prime used to be a archivist

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing military role.

14. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Remember Hasbro gave writers leeway to do their own stuff. So while is called an aligned continuity it does not mean it is the same story.

Hasbro just gave the basic elements such as Optimus and Megatron being friends once. Optimus puts it in this story each of them chose a side.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Skyquake said "a Prime", not "the Prime", so maybe it´s a rank?

16. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone just finished their first year of college, didn't they? I can smell the sophomoric pseudo-intellectual condensation from here. Don't worry, you'll probably eventually get over it. If you don't (or haven't, assuming you aren't currently in your secondary education) then I feel truly sorry for you.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

If you go by Hasbro saying WFC is a prequel to Prime, Prime is the leader of the Autobots, ALL of them, not just this squad. Team Prime is probably like his "inner circle".

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would agree, tho we don't know for certain how the TFPrime folks will flesh out the story behind this Prime.
    He's the Autobot Leader..yes, but he's not a dictator, the bots are free to choose their homes and to travel to and from other planets as well. Case in point, Wheeljack. Hopefully, Prowl will find his way to Earth at some point. :D 

19. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yeah, until the freedom given to the writers contradicts it, I'd say the aligned continuity with WFC and Exodus puts Prime down as overall Autobot leader.

However, we were promised this show would explore what it means to be a Prime (as well as exploration of the original 13), so I'm expecting there to be references to other Primes, past and present.

Just wait for Liege Maximo to turn up. Then poo poo gets heavy.

20. Thundersmacker

Thundersmacker More then meets the lie

For years I have been trying to get over my loathing of OP and "the war is peace" attitude of the Autobots. Sometimes I somehow manage to fit in with the larger TF crowd only to be reminded by guys like you that I was born in this flawed way. Sadly the stench of sophomoric pseudo intellectualism is deeply ingrained in my chemical make up, no amount of soap will relieve me of this horrible condition.

I'm going to cry now and wish I was someone else. Someone else who doesn't stink up someone's house just by sharing his opinion on the internet.