Is Optimus Prime "Old Hat"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime's Pappa, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I know this may seem blasphemous to some but between watching the movies and the new Prime show OP seems like nothing more than a broken record. I mean how many times do I have to hear one shall stand one shall fall and i am sending this message to blah blah blah and all the other cliche lines...Peter Cullen is great but there has been no growth with his version of OP since G1...In fact you could say he has digressed because he had a cool john wayne tough guy feel in G1 and now he is Mr perfect who would never make a mistake and never hurt a fly...With all the success of TF I would really like a tv series or cartoon movie like the marvel and dc ones where there is no OP so we can see some characters grow and create interest...I do like TF Prime but OP is so drab he almost ruins the show that was why I really liked ATF prime because we got to see Prime grow and evolve which is much lacking with the Prime/Movie version.

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Transformers Animated's version of Optimus Prime was an attempt at a fresh take on the character: a younger, less-experienced Prime on his journey toward becoming a great leader. He exemplified Shakespeare's famous quote:

"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them."

I am also optimistic (no pun intended) that as we see TF Prime unfold that we will finally get to see some deeper character development with Prime.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Outside of Animated we haven't had any growth in a Prime character since BW/BM. They're all boring and bland as can be, so yes, I fully agree.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    So you want the franchise to die again?

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I agree completely. I almost can't stand Prime Optimus due to how incredibly dull and repetitive he is. The old lines like "One shall stand, one shall fall" just make me roll my eyes at this point and I was actively groaning when they did yet another "Sending this message into space" endings on the miniseries. Animated was a major step in the right direction, giving us a younger and less experienced Optimus that we saw rise to glory instead of already being enshrined as the infallible leader. It was a refreshing change of pace, but I don't see them doing it again - especially while we're stuck with Cullen redoing all his old lines again.

I really think Hasbro needs to get over its fear of trying something different again and give us another Rodimus Prime or Optimus Primal type leader. Someone far more different than the same Optimus we've had for the better part of the last decade.

Optimus dying was not the end of Transformers. The line went on for several more years until a combination of increasingly inferior products, no media representation, and attention spans shifting to other franchises like TMNT led to Transformers taking a short hiatus in the US before relaunching as G2.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's because everytime we see him he's already the leader. We're yet to see a series that we actauly get to see him growing as leader which is why Animated started with young Optimus while Ultra Magnus took the role of stoic leader.

But I'm opmistic that Prime will give more depth to his character, we already saw bios of him in the show that mention him being that way because years of war have turned him kind of cold but even if he doesn't show it he does care.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love Optimus Prime but I do want to see another leader step up to Prime. That's why I'm so disappointed with how Rodimus Prime turned out and wish he could get a fantastic rise to power story and have the competence to be as good or better than Optimus.

8. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I've said it before. They need to do a Captain Picard characterization with him. He'll look perfect and heroic and wise to his underlings, but have some serious issues underneath.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, or saying Batman is an old hat. Seriously, I don't get it. ANimated and Beast WArs took it in a different direction, but that's what Optimus is supposed to be about. I have a feeling if they took him in a totally different direction, people would bitch about how newer fans "Don't know what Prime is all about", and such. This isn't meant to come off as smarmy or douchey, so I hope it doesn't, I was just stating my views on the discussion, and I do get the OP's point.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    One of the main reasons I didnt like the new Prime show was how much of a rehash of the movies it was.

Hey I love Prime as well and he's a great hero and all that but it is nice to see some refreshing perspectives once in awhile. Thats probably another reason I enjoyed Animated as much as I did (and still do). It had so many ties to G1 and other transformers history, yet was bold enough to make it's own way.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    This is just a vicious cycle. Soon we'll get a TF series that goes a different direction with little to no Optimus Prime or Megatron or a huge reimagining of the two and the fandom will be like "Hey! This is awesome!"

2 series later:

"This is nice and all, but who wants to see Megatron and Prime back?" or "Who wants to see them act the way they used to? I sure do miss hearing Prime say 'One shall stand, one shall fall.'"

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This x100%

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I don't think Optimus is old hat if he's written properly. I feel the problem recently lies mostly in Kurtzman and Orci's view of Optimus Prime. They seem to look up to him as a statue and icon as opposed to a commander in a war.

Take TF: Prime for example. Everything he says is written to be "epic", and Cullen using his "narrator" tone for every line doesn't help. The character is gone, and the cliches remain.

I can see how you feel the way you do. Optimus himself and Arcee's "I'm badly injur-Wait, I'm fine." ruined the last Prime episode for me.

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I actually don't recall any previous on-screen iteration of Optimus that was quite as 'mature' and foreboding as TFP Prime and movie Prime. Even Prime in G1 had moments of light humour to him. TFP and movie Primes are probably the most serious, heavy and burdened versions of Optimus we've seen yet imo, closer to comic portrayals of Optimus Prime than any previous screen version of him.

So it's not so much a case of TFP and movie Primes not being different from previous incarnations of Prime, but more that they are the closest manifestations of the archetypal Optimus Prime that many of us think of when we hear his name, in character and voice at least. That's why many of us are perceiving them as boring and old, because they are the classic Prime persona we've held in our minds for the longest time. But believe it or not, we've not actually had that classic, idealized image of Optimus Prime ever fully realised on-screen before the movies. And now that we've been seeing something very close to it in Optimus Prime of the movies and TFP, it doesn't strike us as new because that's how we've always traditionally thought of Prime's character.

On the other hand, maybe it's just Peter Cullen's aged ominous voice and his repetition of infamous Prime lines that's making TFP Prime seem 'old' and boring to us.

15. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I personally think they should take a chance and have a new leader. Really though, it's a new generation. Give us a new direction!

Pass the torch, dammit! Maybe give Bumblebee the mantle? That's just the first character that comes to mind. Maybe not him, but someone different.

They really need to expand the mythos. I am SOOO tired of the same old story path over and over and over and over.

16. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Prime is more iconic then... something iconic to compare to. He is pretty much considered one of the most memorable characters in cartoon history. (At least among the fandom.)
    It just can't be done.

17. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I say leave Prime alone. Just give him character development and add to him.

18. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was tried once before, he was called Rodimus Prime

and Rodimus=fail

19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IMHO, Prime is a leader and like any leader, he must rise through the Autobot ranks. This would take some time, as he has to outlive the Original 13 leaders. Only then, can he become the leader of the Autobots.
    He isn't old hat. He's experienced.

20. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I agree with what your saying and I dont want OP gone from TF...I would just like a show, mini series or a cartoon movie that does not focus on him but show other possibililies for some poss short term leadership to bring some life into tf like animated did