is optimus primal a DIRECT decendent of optimus prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by swindleservices, Mar 30, 2011.

1. swindleservices

swindleservices Banned

i might be wrong but isnt he decended from optimus

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I believe so, yes.

3. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never read anything that confirms it, but I do like to think so. They both have similar head designs. Could suggest they're related, similar to how one may "have their father's eyes". They've also got the same name, Optimus. People often get named after relatives, hell I'm named after my grandfather. He was probably named something like "Optimus Major" prior to landing on Earth. When everyone else took new names to reflect their new beast modes, he may have chosen Primal both because of his new gorilla body, and to honor the former Autobot commander.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Cant say for sure. After BW Megatron blasted Prime, Cheetor did say "he's our ancestor" and they were all effected by the time storm. But then again it could of been from the Autobots being killed off without Prime as leader too.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I always thought it meant the Decepticons would win the war without Prime to oppose them. Decepticons wipe out all the Autobots, thus no evolution from Autobots to Maximals over the 300 years thereafter.

To the point, Primal isn't a direct descendant of Prime, in the Marty and George McFly sense.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Beast Machines Season 2 Episode 8, Nightscream and Primal discover what Primal calls "A holographic tribute to my ancestor, Optimus Prime."

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never thought this meshed well with what we know of Optimus Prime.

Comic: OP wields the Creation Matrix. Therefore he's the ancestor of all the Maximals. Primal shouldn't be any "more" related to OP.

Cartoon: OP could make Primal at some point after The Rebirth I suppose, but how does that work? Does he build Primal, or an ancestor thereof, the same way Wheeljack builds the Dinobots? If not, how does ancestry work here anyway?

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, the boss munky was a little goofy in the head by that point and might have been speaking metaphorically or just been confused. Even if the story editors had read the BW backstory (and I've read in the past that they didn't) they may have chosen to ignore or contradict it in this case.

9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Well if you look at it from the big islands storyline, he is the current in a long line of "Convoys" One succeeds the next, like the line of Autobot leaders you see in the matrix when OP and Rodimus venture back through it.

It would really really be handy if someone would write an "official" story of what happened between Operation Combination and BW season 1 in some form of media, reallly handy.

I am not really sure that any given Autobot/Con created any given Maixmal/Pred, as the main point of the Maximal/Pred conversion was to downsize and conserve energy.

10. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Well I mean, the whole notion of "family" in Transformers is pretty ambiguous when taken at face value. All Transformers come from Primus/Vector Sigma/The Allspark, etc, so how can Sideswipe and Sunstreaker be "brothers," what makes them closer related than anyone else? It could be some sort of genetic thing, like sharing a Spark signature. In the grand scheme of things, it's just there for plot purposes and no one expects us to question it.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This concept always bugs me. They are robots who do not reproduce sexually. No one is a "direct" descendant. They don't have actual parents. They might have mentors or father/mother figures but they didn't birth them. Wheeljack wasn't Grimlocks father. Optimus Prime didn't have any closeness to the Aerialbots.

If talking about descendants I look at as more of the position. Like Primal was in the same role as Optimus Prime, thus considered him a descendant.

As for the time stream thing, Megatron said it himself. Without Optimus the Autobots loose and the Maximals were never created, all of them.

12. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

That is correct, hence the line of "Convoys" or "Primes" as we known them

Yeap, since according to some stuff I have seen the Con's stole the tech from the Autobots to undergo the change to the smaller bodies. Seems to be a running gag in the Transformers franchise. But none of that is official of course.

There is also the whole thing of if the Cons won they would never bother to downsize and would just take all the energy they need from wherever.

13. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I pretty think Maximals and Predacons are descendants of The Autobots and Decepticons

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I believe that they did imply he was.

15. malcontentman

malcontentman Cybertronian James Cagney TFW2005 Supporter

See, I think that just like DNA as a genetic blueprint can be copied, cloned, or mixed with DNA from another to make a unique new life with traits of both parents, Bots and Cons should be able to do the same with their "Sparks" or more real-world, their programing. So, I never thought robot sexual reproduction was out of the question.

So if Arcee and Hot Rod or Arcee and Springer ever hooked up they could exchange some of their unique codes to make a new Bot. Or in this particular case if Optimus and Elita 1 ever hooked up, they could be the great, great, great, great grand parents of Primal.

As a Macross fan, I have always thought that the Quintessons brainwashed the Cybertronians and enslaved them and made them forget about "proto-culture" and sexual reproduction like the Zentradi and Meltrandi.

Just a theory of mine :D 

16. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Pretty much. I mean, why are there female Transformers at all. Don't think of it as a physical gender, think of it as an identity. Just like in real life, why do people have sex changes? They feel they were born the wrong gender, that they fit in better to the archetypes of the other. So female Transformers, brotherly Transformers, it's a mindset thing. Without needing to actually procreate, they're still intelligent, sentient lifeforms and probably have similar interests to what we organics have :p 

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've had the exact same thought but as far as I know there was never ANY hinting at this being a possible way for Transformer reproduction. Short of budding or building a new one, Transformers rarely reproduce. And even in those situations it didn't seem any sort of familiar bond. So this is just a cool what if.

Had I been in charge of the Transformers IP I would introduce this concept to allow any two sparks (regardless of "gender", homophobia is a childish and bigoted fear that needs to be crushed with knowledge and understanding) to able to mingle and create a new spark. I would also consider allowing sparks to sometimes undergo a similar form of reproduction without a partner. Or I might not introduce such a concept. It's a bit strange but it would allow them to reproduce in a more biological way.

18. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Sorta what I was thinking, they were so obsessed with war, hatcheries were just a more efficient means of producing soldiers. After a while, they just forgot.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had always thought Optimus Primal took his first name to honor Optimus Prime as BW Megatron had done with G1 Megatron. Optimus Prime evolving into a Munky Bot is reverse Darwinism! Other than that I agree with Fosterlager.

20. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    This has got me thinking again about how movie Optimus Prime is a descendent of the Prime Dynasty?

Personally, i think there's a multitude of potential ways that Cybertronians can be 'related' to one another. Cybertronians that are created at similar times or with similar body types or origins may consider each others 'brothers' or 'sisters' because of their close physical and/or mental links, similarities in body and shared origins, like the Arcee sisters of the movie-verse or G1 Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, or simply because they feel very close to one another psychologically and have made a decision to be linked, like Optimus and Megatron being 'brothers in-arms' in the movie-verse before they fell out.

The idea of descendents similarly also can apply in a variety of ways to Cybertronians. Sometimes the creators of new bots that constructed them can be considered their 'fathers'/'mothers', like Alpha Trion being a father-figure to Optimus and Elita; bots created using the programming, parts, design, C.N.A. or spark of an existing bot could be considered the offspring of that source bot; clones could be essentially the children of the original; and in the case of the Primes, perhaps simply being given the title and position of 'Prime' is enough to be considered a part of the Prime legacy and hence a descendent of the Primes in name and rank.

In short, terms of relation like 'descendents', 'siblings' and 'parents' don't have a specific definition that applies only in one set of circumstances. Cybertronians can be created in various ways and they have different perceptions of relation. Their broad use of terms of relation reflect this variety. They are used in several ways generally to indicate close links and relationships between Cybertronians, whether those links and relationships are 'genetic' or emotional in basis.

My belief in the case of Optimus Primal is that he considers himself a descendent of Optimus Prime simply because he takes his name from him, is designed in a reminscent fashion physically and follows in his example. There probably isn't any 'genetic' link between them as such.