Is my laptop done for?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DX7879, Feb 8, 2009.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

While browsing the internet on my laptop today, it suddenly froze. I had no other choice but to turn if off. After that though, it doesn't turn on anymore. The light that shows its on though turns on, but nothing shows up on the screen. It also makes a whirl type noise that goes on and then off a few seconds later.

Is the motherboard fried, or is there still some hope left?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

might be...or might be your monitor is dead, which if that is the case, its cheaper to get a new one.

do you smell any burnt smell?

you could also try leaving it off for a while then trying it again later...

3. DX7879

No burnt smell that I know of. I did try hooking the laptop up to my TV, and no picture also. The whirl sound I heard might just be the fan starting up, but it sounds like it shuts down right away.

I'll try it again tomorrow. If all else fails, time to get a new laptop. Look for a thread saying "Looking for a decent laptop" in a few days probably

4. DX7879

No burnt smell that I know of. I did try hooking the laptop up to my TV, and no picture also. The whirl sound I heard might just be the fan starting up, but it sounds like it shuts down right away.

I'll try it again tomorrow. If all else fails, time to get a new laptop. Look for a thread saying "Looking for a decent laptop" in a few days probably

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    is it plugged in?

what you described is what happened to me (even power light came on) when I thought my laptop was plugged in, when it actually wasnt.

6. D.Lloyd1990

D.Lloyd1990 Avid Gamer

Yeah it's most likely the Motherboard has been fried, same thing happened to to me last year in September

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Is there absolutely nothing on the screen, or is there something, but it's very dark? If it is connected to power, and you've hooked it up to an external monitor, and still nothing, it sounds like your motherboard needs to be replaced. We use Dells where I work, and sadly this is not uncommon.

8. DX7879

Yep, plugged in, and nothing on the screen. Usually when it starts up, it makes the whirl sound (fan?) followed by a beep, but now nothing. I'll try one other thing today, but besides that I'm in need of a new laptop

This is what I currently have
    Documentation

Anyone have any recommendations on one that's better and pretty cheap? I only plan on using it for internet and to play the game Stepmania. I do need a S-video port though, and built in wi-fi would be nice, but I do have a wireless card

If anyone knows any sites or stores that have a pretty cheap and good laptops, please let me know.

9. Brolga01

Brolga01 Olé

acer(GEEKSQUAD)!?!It's a good labtop.You can play DVDs on it, internet,and games.You can do more stuff on it but it's way to big to list.It's about $399.98.If you want cheaper I would say to look at Buybest.

10. MegaPrime33

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wow, that's a really old laptop. I would say stick with dell. Sure their customer service is horrible, but they are good machines. You could get a dell mini 12 for like $400, though it comes pre-installed with Ubuntu and not Windows. I personally don't see that as a bad thing at all, but you may. If the OS makes no difference to you, and you don't mind the size, then I say check it out.

11. DX7879

12. MegaPrime33

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've been hearing a lot of good things too about that Acer, and that's a great deal on it too. $300 for a brand new laptop?? That's awesome.

13. DX7879

No s-video though which I just noticed.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

but just remember. those netbooks have really small keys...so if you have bigger hands, it might be a little tougher.