Is My G1 Ravage a KO!?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DarthP00P00, Mar 30, 2010.

1. DarthP00P00

DarthP00P00 Autobot

Hey guys, this one is really kicking my butt.
    I was at a pawn shop that recently opened in our mall...
    ...long story short I ended up buying a G1 Ravage figure for $10.
    What I am trying to figure out is if its a KO or a possible reissue.

I was suspicious once I saw the " HASBRO 83' " molded into the side of his tail.
    He also has a rub-sticker on his left shoulder.
    The original ravage I know has a purple deception symbol.

Ive been online looking everywhere but haven't found enough info.
    its not a big deal if it is a KO or reissue, I just am curious and cant seem to figure it out.

UPDATE:
    I have uploaded some photos for you guys.
    Hope it helps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48934577@N05/4483676915/

Thanks for all the feedback :) 

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never actually had Ravage as a kid, but I've seen a few.

What you're describing sounds right to me (but I'm far from an expert).

I will tell you that while the rub symbols were generally well placed on toys designed after they started using them- the places they found to stick them on pre rub designs were stupid and inappropriate a lot of the time. In fact I actually removed almost all of the rub symbols from my toys designed before that point as a kid because the placements bothered me so much. (and I never pulled a rub symbol off any toy designed with it in mind).

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

It could be real. All the series 1 toys were re-released in 1985 and the symbol was replaced with a rub-sign that year on all series 1 toys.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

None of the series 1 and 2 diaclone/machinerobo toys were actually designed with the rub-sign in mind. They were all made well before the rub-signs inception. Some of them may have had their molds altered after the fact to accomodate the rub-sign.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It's a legit Ravage, possibly an original from the 1980's. The Rubsign seals the deal in terms of it being offical Hasbro product, as their original intention was to allow consumers to tell offical Hasbro products from the growing number of KO's (the cassettes and Soundwave were especialy common in terms of finding fakes of them). What I'm not so sure about is it being an original Ravage. The date stamp on the bottom of my Re-Issue Prowl and Blue/Silverstreak say "2002", the year the Re-issues were made, but I don't know if the date stamp was switched for the cassette re-issues or not, as I don't own a G1 Ravage myself.

6. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I think you mean Microchange; MachineRobo is a Bandai trademark and used for their own transforming robots that eventually became "GoBots".

As for the Ravage I think it sounds legit but my G1 Ravage is in storage with my Reissue Soundwave.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I'm talking about. A whole lot of the toys I had previous to say Hot Rod, Kup and Cyclonus ended up with me peeling off the rub off signs (so 1st and 2nd wave toys I didn't manage to get before rub off symbols appeared). Some were perfectly reasonable solutions, like Bombshell on the flat part of his back (so it stayed)- but a lot had really poor placement. jazz really sticks in my mind- his wasn't even flat on the car, but applied over the hood with empty spaces under part of the sticker. In fact that may have been the moment I decided to start removing those things.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Eh, as long as you are Ok with it.. ;) 

9. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Darth,
    Your Ravage is legit. (I have one.) Rubsign Ravage came out in 1985, where all 1984s, Dinobots, Constructicons, and (small) Insecticons were branded with rubsigns after the fact. In the case of the mini-cars and cassettes, some lost a pre-applied insignia in exchange for the symbol, even if that symbol was nowhere near the rubsign. (For example, a rub-sign Buzzsaw may not have his head emblem, or a rubsign Gears won't have one on the black hood scoop.)

As for 1984 Ravage, was his shoulder insignia upside-down, or right-side up?

It's also true that many rubsigns were poorly placed (Jazz, Sunstreaker, Prowl, Hook); some get worse when their re-issues were released (Bluestreak/Silverstreak). Encore Ironhide is the only one I know that gets better. Encore Ratchet, on the other hand, has his in the same 1985 location.

10. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

The "Hasbro '83" mark also points to it being legit. I saw something on TFwiki about that.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ravage came out as late as 1986. I bought the Rumble/Ravage set at the same time I got Frenzy/Ratbat, with my allowance.

12. DarthP00P00

DarthP00P00 Autobot

Thanks for all the feedback.
    When its in robot mode the rub-sticker is facing the right way. its off a tiny bit but it looks correctly placed.

So after an hour or so of research I have come to 2 possible conclusions:
    1) If it is a G1 figure, DAMN this is one perfectly preserved Ravage. most of the images i have seen online, their ravages are all scratched up and cruddy.

2) This could be from the Commemorative Edition Soundwave reissue. but does that ravage have the 83' date stamp?