is my friend right?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by StarScheme, Jun 21, 2009.

1. StarScheme

StarScheme Well-Known Member

he says TFA Ended Because Stores refused to stock anything but the movie toys( he won't believe what i tell him)

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    while that may be part of it, the official statement is that it didnt perform to expectations.

looking at the merchandise, it's obvious hasbro expected movie levels of success from it. with the bumper battlers, activators and such.

it wasnt a movie level of success. Maybe if they had been a bit more conservative with their expectations (no bumper battlers or activators), it would have done better.

it wasnt a BIG failure though, since hasbro is still going to release an entire season's worth of product later this year for it.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    What Valkysas said.

When comparing it to pre-movie series, it has probably done just as decent..Animated just had the bad luck of coming afther the movie, that sold TONS. Retailers were expecting new TF toys to carry on the hype, and probably Hasbro thought it could use the hype as well..but were wrong.

As much as people will want to hate the movie for 'cancelling Animated' though, it probably wouldn't have existed if there wasn't a big budget movie, either. Hasbro might not have taken chances producing it and might have gone for an easier, less creative alternative..

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    except animated was already being planned while the movie was being made.

animated would have existed either way. just wouldnt have had the allspark. and bumblebee might have stayed as hot shot as he was in early planning. and megatron's cybertronian head would have looked different.

5. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    But was this a case of Animated being planned before the movie got greenlighted or during the creation of it? Because I think Animated got greenlighted and budgeted after determining the movie would be big (and probably be a big hit).

I think it's quite possible that we would have ended up with a lower quality Transformers series if Hasbro didn't think the movie would become a big hit, even if they were produced at the same time and not one after the other.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's one of the reasons.

7. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

the main reason why I think it failed was because it came on too early.
    8 o'clock am on a saturday? you have to be joking

8. Bilbo Boxhead

Bilbo Boxhead Geewunners GTFO

If Cartoon Network would have cared about it, it probably would have lasted longer

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think your friend is essentially correct. There's more to it than that, and it's hard to pinpoint whether it was the deciding factor, but do not underestimate the power of the big retailers over the franchise. ROTF has definately taken over several rows of TFA space in most places I've been to. It seems to be selling so well I don't realy think they would order more TFA.

One of the problems TFA had starting out was the toys were put on hold because Walmart and Target made repeat orders for Movie toys. Messed up the timing pretty bad.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's pretty much my 'educated' assumption as well. Hasbro shot for a large movie-style push, with the Power Bots, Bumper Battlers, and items aimed at the younger kids, as well as a lot of side merchandising stuff second only to the movie. It's obvious it wasn't a Movie-level success, probably closer to an Energon/Cybertron-level, give or take.

I'd say the "stores refuse all but movie" is correct on a basic level, if a little simplistic. Ever since the 2007 movie line was enough of a sales monster that both retailers and Hasbro were caught with pants down meeting the demand, the movie line has hung over the retailers' consciousness ever since, delaying the initial release of Animated toys, for one. I think a good indicator is at the NY Toy Fair in February, Hasbro showed the ROTF movie toys, and a press release listed several Animated toys yet to come. (not a lot of 'em, which seemed to imply Animated was winding down) VERY shortly afterward, preorders and listings for unreleased '09 Animated toys were being cancelled/pulled. The indication being (as I saw it) that once it was apparent a new line of movie toys was on the way, the retailers didn't order any further Animated toys, at least not enough to justify a full production run.

Perhaps the Superion/Bruticus combiners being shifted from Universe to ROTF packaging is an indication as well.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    It was the most poorly marketed TF series of all time.

The toys, the cartoon and even the comic book didn't live up to the hype. which to me is sad considering it was a really well done show.

I love animated, but obviously hasbro and Cartoon Network couldn't communicate with each other for $#@%!

Let's hope the next go around Hasbro Produces their own shows from here on out.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What is this "hype" you speak of regarding Animated?

13. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I dont think it really helped much that the show aired a good half-year before any Animated product hit the shelves. I think it was even onto Season 2 before the first toys were available to purchase.

But ya, in the long run apparently it did not meet expectations. I think the other issue involved is Hasbro's new network, which I can only assume, they'd want a TF show on there once it gets up and running. If Animated was still going on Cartoon Network, there would be conflicts of programming there.

14. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

Yeah, I was going to chime in with this too.

The timing was effed up from the start. The show was on for months before toys showed up. Then there were no new episodes while new toys were pouring out of China. It was a doomed scenario. It's no wonder the line did not meet expectations. Marketing is a toyline is a tricky thing under normal circumstances, and the circumstances for this line were very challenging.