Is MP Thundercracker worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Transformified, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Transformified

Transformified Member

So I kinda collected Transformers as a kid and just got back into about three weeks ago--just in time for the Thundercracker's release. As you can see, I'm a newb. I'm operating on a tight budget these days and wanted to know everyone's input as to whether this toy is worth spending $80 at TRU. It's beautiful and cool to look at, but I want something that's a true collectible if I'm going to spend that much. In other words, will this bad boy sell for more years down the road? MP Starscream looks like it's selling at or less than retail despite coming out almost two years ago. So I'm wary of spending so much on TC... Your input would be greatly appreciated!

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

For $80 this is as true of a collectible as you will find. So yes, he is "worth it". I'm not a fortune teller or Nostradamus so I can only say that more than likely this will be worth more a few years down the road.

Edit: The reason that MP-03 SS price has dropped some is the fact that this year MP-11 SS was released a few months ago and MP-11 kicks MP-03's butt in my humble opinion.

3. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

It's worth buying even at $80. That's cost and given it's rarity, it will only appreciate.

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me share my experience.

I got back into collecting around the time MP Skywarp was showing up in Walmart. At the time, I thought the price was REALLY high for a transformer and that this was a casual thing.

Fast forward two years and I paid aftermarket prices for Skywarp (which was luckily not too much higher than what I found him for on clearance - though it was an open box) and am now ridiculously happy to find Thundercracker for retail. And he's awesome IMHO.

My experience, obviously YMMV.

5. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you change your mind, just wait a while and sell it for more than double. The aftermarket prices are insane. And you won't find a cheaper masterpiece of that size any time soon (ever). For me it's worth it at least. I payed way more for it.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    In a word, yes. Masterpiece Thundercracker is worth it.

MP-11 Masterpiece Starscream is even better.

7. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Welcome to the Hobby!

"Worth" is a open ended term in the community, and sadly $80 isn't that much for a figure these days. Odds are that 5 years from now an open complete Thundercracker will probably sell for about what you're paying for it now. I doubt a MISB one will get you more then $20-25 over retail 5 years from now.

Collect because you like the figures, don't become another toy speculator! If you like it, get it. If you dont, then pass on it, and move on to something else. If your collection holds its retail value over the years and you get years of enjoyment out of it I say you're doing good!

8. hoosierdaddy04

Let me throw one more tid bit out there. If you're hesitant at spending $80 on a MP collecting MP's may not be for you as they get expensive fast. If you're looking for 1 a great figure that will most likely stand the test of time wait for Hasbro's release of MP-10 Prime it's going to be more expensive ~$100-$120ish but common it's f-n PRIME.

9. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Sunstorm is awesome too :D 

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would also like to direct you to the feedback section (odd that no one else has..) where there's the whole thread for the figure. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...terpiece-thundercracker-pictorial-review.html I can tell you this about it though, if I can afford to get it twice, I will. Same goes for Starscream if he's ever released here. which the review on him is here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...11-mp11-masterpiece-starscream-v2-review.html. Read through those, see what you find. This will always help someone make a well informed decision, :) .

11. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Worth it" is a subjective term. One collector might think $80 is too much for one figure, whereas another might think that it is a steal at that price. So many factors, such as cost, availability, income, etc., come into play.

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Does a bear wipe his ass with a rabbit when it shits in the woods?

13. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    In a word, yes. The tampos/tattoos are a bit unsightly but they're hardly noticeable in bot mode. If you're on a tight budget but want the best representative of a G1 character in toy format, the Hasbro Masterpiece line is where it's at. Hasbro's MP Optimus Prime will arrive at TRU for around $100 this holiday season (just in time for Black Friday, it's rumored), so watch out for him too (beats paying $250 and upwards for the Japanese Takara-Tomy MP-10 Convoy version).

14. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Worth it!

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know... but if you do... WHY do you?? :inquisiti 

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Eddie Murphy's Raw, look it up.... Watch it, thank me tomorrow.

17. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Yes,it's well worth the $55.99,I paid for it from TRU.com.

18. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

I'm sure the OP will find that information exceedingly helpful.

19. Transformified

Transformified Member

I'm sorry, I meant the Walmart exclusive Skywarp--not starscream. I just saw an auction in which it sold for just $63, shipping not included. Then I look at something like Grimlock or Starscream and it's going for $200. I agree that toy speculation is not a good thing. The thrill of finding something rare and highly coveted, though, is partly what makes any hobby enjoyable. But cost is definitely a factor when the figure is $80.

As for Masterpiece Prime, I would wait in line for 12 hours to get my hands on it and pay $120. I'm actually considering asking my sister in law's bro to pick one up for me in a Hong Kong TRU for $140.

But I agree with what some of you have said: the TC is gorgeous. I have one sitting on my desk and I just stare at it. It's really a piece of art.

20. hoosierdaddy04

WM MP SW was clearanced for less than $20 and there were a lot of him FYI